If Borowski loses the closer job.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

If Borowski loses the closer job....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who will take over a majority of the closing duties?

Fernando Cabrera
67%
Rafael Betancourt
33%

Total votes : 52

If Borowski loses the closer job....

Postby YardBirds » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:38 pm

I am looking at both of their numbers this year and they both look dominant, and I was just curious who you all think will get the nod?
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:40 pm

F-Cab
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:41 pm

cordscords wrote:F-Cab
Here's hoping.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby gatorgreenwell » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:41 pm

From cbssportsline.com:
"The mantle of the most unhittable pitch in 2006 goes to the slider of Fernando Cabrera. Cleveland's young reliever recorded a Whiff Rate of .652 on that breaking ball, and, if you think that's a fluke, think again. Had Cabrera qualified the year before, 2006 would have been the second consecutive season his slider led the league. In 2005, Cabrera posted an eye-popping Whiff Rate of .762, though in limited action (42 swings). Interestingly, Cabrera only threw his slider in the strike zone 28.6 percent of the time, well below the major league average of 41.6 percent. In other words, he makes the pitch unhittable with a late bite that places the ball outside the plate or in the dirt much of the time. He's getting two innings per appearance, but he only has three appearances so far. Use him in AL-only leagues."

From cbssportsline.com:
"Joe Borowski was charged with his first blown save after giving up a run in the ninth Wednesday against the Rangers.
Borowski walked the first batter he faced, and after a stolen base, he gave up a game-tying double to Michael Young with two outs. The showing lowered Borowski's ERA to 9.90 in 10 innings this season. The Indians may not want to go to someone younger after what happened with Fausto Carmona last year, but they're only going to be able to stick with Borowski for so long with the way he's performaed. Rafael Betancourt appears long past the stage at which he'd collapse if thrown into the closer's role. One more blown save could lead to a change."
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Diggs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:45 pm

I went with Cabrera since Bentancourt had a turn at closing last season and faltered. That combined with Cab's numbers makes him the logical choice to get "a turn."

I own both. :-D
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Rounders » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:52 pm

I don't know what makes a team think they can make a closer out of a guy that wasn't good enough for the Cubs or Devil Rays. Teams see that "Closer experience" and think that he must be the best option out there?
Hoping for F-Cab, but no idea.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigwords » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:57 pm

I just don't agree. Why would the closer-in-waiting be serving mop-up and extra innings duty? Fall in love with Cabrera all you want, but Betancourt gets the job currently in the 8th inning, and Fultz and Roberto Hernandez get the job in the 7th. You can't just look at stats to make a determination. Giving the job to a closer is all about manager confidence in the applicant, and it's clear that Cabrera is low on the pecking order right now.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:59 pm

I see Betancourt before FCab.

Edit: Especially after Carmona failed, I think Wedge will be a hesitant with FCab. Could be wrong.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Diggs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:31 pm

Yoda wrote:I see Betancourt before FCab.

Edit: Especially after Carmona failed, I think Wedge will be a hesitant with FCab. Could be wrong.

That's why I own both for now; I know that it is totally up in the air as far as predictions go at this point.

My hopes are that Borowski loses the job a.s.a.p so I can find which of the two get it. Then, I can drop the other who doesn't get the job and pick up Lincecum since I currently don't have a roster spot for him. ;-D

Only way this could blow up in my face is if JoeBlow holds on to the job too long before Lincecum gets called up or somebody esle in my league picks him up just to stash him. :-o
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hot4tx » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:41 pm

They will trade Hafner for Chan Ho or a backup catcher.

Oh wait, they're not the Rangers [rest... rest...]. I agree that after the Carmona failure last year they'll at least give the guy with more experience a good shot at it.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Return to Baseball Leftovers