Phil Hughes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Phil Hughes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Wed May 02, 2007 3:29 pm

He has very very good stuff but not elite stuff in the class of a Ben Sheets curve, a Johan Santana change or a Liriano slider. But then again, only about 1% of pitchers actually do AND are successful with it.

His fastball has great movement and he commands it very well. I heard a lot of comparisons and the one that I feel is the closest is Mike Mussina. Very, very good pitcher but not a totally dominant one.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Wed May 02, 2007 3:37 pm

He showed last night why he is the best pitching prospect in baseball. Unfortunatly he won't be able to show it again for another 6 weeks.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Postby CT Smash » Wed May 02, 2007 3:38 pm

He looked to be throwing harder than the 90-91mph that the gun on TV was showing. I'm not sure if it was that he has a "heavy" fastball or just had great pitch selection, but his heaters really got into the hitter fast with great location. Mix that in with a highly effective curve and a well timed change-up, and you have yourself a young stud. Too bad we have to wait another 4-6 weeks to watch him again. Oh, and it was absolutely agonizing watching him limp off the field with an 0-2 count against Texeira.
CT Smash
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed May 02, 2007 3:43 pm

CT Smash wrote:He looked to be throwing harder than the 90-91mph that the gun on TV was showing. I'm not sure if it was that he has a "heavy" fastball or just had great pitch selection, but his heaters really got into the hitter fast with great location. Mix that in with a highly effective curve and a well timed change-up, and you have yourself a young stud. Too bad we have to wait another 4-6 weeks to watch him again. Oh, and it was absolutely agonizing watching him limp off the field with an 0-2 count against Texeira.

Yeah he has a real live arm and a nice smooth delivery. It seemed like the fastballs really jump out on the hitters. His change up was a lot better than advertised also. And with his amazing command, he will be a great pitcher as long as he is able to avoid injuries and improve.

Very promising for sure.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed May 02, 2007 4:19 pm

Inukchuk wrote:I don't understand how someone can make a judgment after watching a clip of someone on the internet...

I have eagle eyes.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby TurdFerguson » Wed May 02, 2007 4:21 pm

He reminds me of a young Mark Prior.Hopefully his career turns out better than Priors.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby High Heater » Wed May 02, 2007 5:49 pm

Phil Hughes is a great young pitcher, i think he's never had a WHIP over 0.95 in the minors and he has great command of plus stuff.... the only pitch i WOULD say is plus plus is the curve but he has alot of time to work on the others.

Mark Prior is a good comp for Hughes but i thought Priors stuff was a little better.

Mussina was another good call as well.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby powenM » Wed May 02, 2007 5:56 pm

thedude wrote:He showed last night why he is the best pitching prospect in baseball.

Oh oh wheres Tim Linceum when we need him.
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed May 02, 2007 5:58 pm

powenM wrote:
thedude wrote:He showed last night why he is the best pitching prospect in baseball.

in the minors where he belongs jk
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby thedude » Wed May 02, 2007 7:14 pm

powenM wrote:

Being a not as good a pitching prospect, where else? :-b
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball