How many people play our game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How many people play our game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:13 am

Tribe-Fan wrote:
There is a fantasy sports trade association which probably gets into these kinds of stats. I didn't see any numbers on their website, but I will send them an email and try to get some answers. I will post any results I get.

thanks Tribe-Fan..i'll be looking forward to that when you get it.

;-D
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:28 pm

Arlo wrote:A survey by cnn/money from last autumn put the number of people who play fantasy sports at around 15 million, with about a quarter of those playing fantasy baseball. I've heard all sorts of numbers, though, all the way up to 40 million (for all fantasy sports combined). Take that one quarter playing baseball estimate with a grain of salt.

I would think that bb comprises way more then 25% of the fantasy market? The National Co. i have been with use to run all 4 sports. BB was by far the main draw, with over 30 leagues going, compared to less then half that with the other sports. Just a guess, but i'm guessing BB probably would be closer to 33% or more of the market, then 25%?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Erboes » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:31 pm

If my wife wasn't traveling I'd have the answer for you. She looked it up and it was overwhelmingly football. It was like football 2 to 1 over everything combined. I'll ask her to find it again when she returns on Friday.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ramble2 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:57 pm

Well, here's the response from Yahoo. Not shocking ...

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Fantasy Sports.

We do appreciate your feedback and interest in Yahoo! Sports' Fantasy
games.

Unfortunately, the data you are requesting is not available for
release.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Regards,

Harold
Yahoo! Customer Care

For assistance with all Yahoo! services please visit:
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Tribe-Fan » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:01 pm

Here is some info I found on the fantasy Sports Trade Association website.

"The FSTA/Harris Interactive/Fanball.com Research Study contains valuable data on the fantasy sports industry. This is the first ever study done on fantasy sports, and it is available for purchase. The study shows there are 29.6 million Fantasy Players and 85% use the Internet. There is much more data available in the report. "

I didn't order the report, and I have not gotten a response from the email I sent which asked about the baseball % of that 29.6 mill. I will post it if I get it.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby denvermax » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:01 am

ramble2 wrote:Well, here's the response from Yahoo. Not shocking ...

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Fantasy Sports.

We do appreciate your feedback and interest in Yahoo! Sports' Fantasy
games.

Unfortunately, the data you are requesting is not available for
release.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Customer Care.

Regards,

Harold
Yahoo! Customer Care

For assistance with all Yahoo! services please visit:

this is the most you can ever get out of yahoo.
denvermax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Madison » Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:31 am

Tribe-Fan wrote:Here is some info I found on the fantasy Sports Trade Association website.

"The FSTA/Harris Interactive/Fanball.com Research Study contains valuable data on the fantasy sports industry. This is the first ever study done on fantasy sports, and it is available for purchase. The study shows there are 29.6 million Fantasy Players and 85% use the Internet. There is much more data available in the report. "

I didn't order the report, and I have not gotten a response from the email I sent which asked about the baseball % of that 29.6 mill. I will post it if I get it.

Very interesting. Thanks. ;-D

Anyone else find it interesting that 15% don't use the internet? 8-o
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby trevisc » Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:29 am

Madison wrote:Anyone else find it interesting that 15% don't use the internet? 8-o

must be the guys finishing in the bottom of the pack.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Arlo » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:13 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Arlo wrote:A survey by cnn/money from last autumn put the number of people who play fantasy sports at around 15 million, with about a quarter of those playing fantasy baseball. I've heard all sorts of numbers, though, all the way up to 40 million (for all fantasy sports combined). Take that one quarter playing baseball estimate with a grain of salt.

I would think that bb comprises way more then 25% of the fantasy market? The National Co. i have been with use to run all 4 sports. BB was by far the main draw, with over 30 leagues going, compared to less then half that with the other sports. Just a guess, but i'm guessing BB probably would be closer to 33% or more of the market, then 25%?

I have to admit I don't know the answer to that one. menyak did a bit of informal digging a while back, and from his research, it seemed clear that most people play football (as Erboes said), followed by baseball, with basketball and hockey both drawing far less participants. 33% for baseball certainly doesn't seem like an unreasonable guess, though.

And as far as those 15% who play without net support goes, I can only imagine that bracket-esque games might be included in those numbers. Just a guess, but it sounds like a plausible explanation...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tribe-Fan » Tue Jan 13, 2004 1:11 pm

trevisc wrote:
Madison wrote:Anyone else find it interesting that 15% don't use the internet? 8-o

must be the guys finishing in the bottom of the pack.

I think what this means is that 15% don't run their leagues online, but do it longhand on paper, like we used to. When I started we had to call our lineup in each Sunday night and we would get the week's results and standings in the mail each week. I guess some people still play that way. Crazy if you ask me.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers