How many people play our game? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How many people play our game?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How many people play our game?

Postby Tribe-Fan » Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:14 am

Has anyone read anything published that states how many people play fantasy baseball annualy? A link would be great if you have one.

Thanks.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 376
Joined: 1 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Born in Cleveland, so they are my team. Mine.

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:39 am

I have heard 5mil, but who knows how accurate it is?
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15115
(Past Year: 297)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby wrveres » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:44 am

HOOTIE wrote:I have heard 5mil, but who knows how accurate it is?


I need a news story search in Yahoo and came up with nothing. A paper in FLA did a story once but the archive was removed. :-o

couldn't tell ya ....

I know I play fanatsy baseball .. "Annually".. 365
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
Posts: 31773
(Past Year: 758)
Joined: 2 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bell » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:47 am

It's probably pretty hard to track considering how many people play multiple leagues, create multiple accounts, etc...
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1694
Joined: 17 Mar 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Stumbling along the AZ/WI border

Postby Madison » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:21 am

I'm stumped as well.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 53856
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Postby ramble2 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:13 am

I wonder if Yahoo customer service would help. If nothing else, we could get an idea of how many people sign up for Yahoo each year ...

I'll send an email and report back.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 2952
(Past Year: 6)
Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby swingaway » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:02 am

i dont know the exact number but iam certain that the number that play each year is increasing though
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 1638
Joined: 6 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: at the cafe

Postby Arlo » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:27 am

A survey by cnn/money from last autumn put the number of people who play fantasy sports at around 15 million, with about a quarter of those playing fantasy baseball. I've heard all sorts of numbers, though, all the way up to 40 million (for all fantasy sports combined). Take that one quarter playing baseball estimate with a grain of salt, too; in that survey, baseball was only a percent or two above basketball, which I don't believe for a minute if we're talking about fantasy and not just brackets.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 8847
Joined: 4 Jan 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Cheap Seats

Postby trevisc » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:50 am

Arlo wrote:A survey by cnn/money from last autumn put the number of people who play fantasy sports at around 15 million, with about a quarter of those playing fantasy baseball. I've heard all sorts of numbers, though, all the way up to 40 million (for all fantasy sports combined). Take that one quarter playing baseball estimate with a grain of salt, too; in that survey, baseball was only a percent or two above basketball, which I don't believe for a minute if we're talking about fantasy and not just brackets.


I remember reading an article on that and 15 million seems to ring a bell. That's a ton. I wonder what the statistics are for those who play for money vs. those who play for fun.
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 11271
Joined: 6 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Tribe-Fan » Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:11 am

trevisc wrote:
Arlo wrote:A survey by cnn/money from last autumn put the number of people who play fantasy sports at around 15 million, with about a quarter of those playing fantasy baseball. I've heard all sorts of numbers, though, all the way up to 40 million (for all fantasy sports combined). Take that one quarter playing baseball estimate with a grain of salt, too; in that survey, baseball was only a percent or two above basketball, which I don't believe for a minute if we're talking about fantasy and not just brackets.


I remember reading an article on that and 15 million seems to ring a bell. That's a ton. I wonder what the statistics are for those who play for money vs. those who play for fun.


I am curious about that myself. Before I started using the cafe, I thought most people played for money, at least 1 money league with friends on top of a bunch of public yahoo leagues. But it appears that many just play for fun exclusively.

There is a fantasy sports trade association which probably gets into these kinds of stats. I didn't see any numbers on their website, but I will send them an email and try to get some answers. I will post any results I get.
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 376
Joined: 1 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Born in Cleveland, so they are my team. Mine.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: neuronss and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Aug. 21
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Houston at NY Yankees
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Detroit at Tampa Bay
(1:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Washington
(4:05 pm)
LA Angels at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Atlanta at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
San Francisco at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
San Diego at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact