Emil Jones is a piece of garbage - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Emil Jones is a piece of garbage

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Emil Jones is a piece of garbage

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:23 pm

In case you don't know who this bum is, for some reason he's elected as the senate president for the State of Illinois. Energy prices skyrocketed after a price freeze for a few years. There is no electrical competition, so the rates were frozen since they had a monopoly. The rate freeze ended and many electric bills around the state tripled. The vote to return to the freeze prices passed huge, but then Emil Jones jumped in and shot the thing down (I still don't understand how he did it.) The thing that makes me mad is that the biggest financial contributer for Jones is the power companies. How in the world can a house of representatives vote and one man shoot it down? Here is the article if you care:

http://www.dailyherald.com/news/lakesto ... c=k&tc=&t=
Here are a few more quotes from the article:
"Armed with a veto-proof majority, Democratic Senate President Emil Jones Jr. is under fire for choosing ComEd’s campaign cash over its customers, getting his wife a $70,000 pay raise in her state job and helping his son land a new job at taxpayers’ expense."
"The tipping point for Jones came last Friday, when a downstate Democratic senator tried to pass legislation to roll back the rate increases for power companies ComEd and Ameren. Pressure to approve the rollback had been building with people getting higher electric bills, and Jones allowed Sen. Gary Forby, of Benton in far southern Illinois, to have a vote. The measure won approval, but Jones, who has received hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign cash from the power companies, employed a rarely used parliamentary maneuver to put it in limbo — the political equivalent of Lucy yanking away Charlie Brown’s football."

I can't stand politicians. :-t
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:38 pm

Go Raptors!
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Coppermine » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:39 pm

Don't live in Illinois = Don't care

I had to put up with Santorum... that was enough for me.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Art Vandelay » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:41 pm

Although this guy sounds like a jerk, it looks like the problem is with the system, not necessarily this one person.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby CheeseBeger » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:44 pm

Coppermine wrote:Don't live in Illinois = Don't care

Have you ever typed in Santorum into Urban Dictionary? Go do it hehe. I won't post the link B-)
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:54 pm

CheeseBeger wrote:

Have you ever typed in Santorum into Urban Dictionary? Go do it hehe. I won't post the link B-)

Absolutely... I am from PA after all. I'm not sure he'd appreciate the designation :-b

It's ok, he lost the election by a mile. I guess being a bigot doesn't win you a lot of votes.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:14 pm

I don't know much about Santorum except for what he said about the Shiavo matter and the things that he's said about homosexuality. So I just checked out the wiki entry on him and look at this

wiki on Santorum wrote:Santorum and his wife, Karen Garver Santorum, have six children: Elizabeth Anne (born 1991); Richard John ("Johnny"), Jr. (born 1993); Daniel James (born 1995); Sarah Maria (born 1998); Peter Kenneth (born 1999); and Patrick Francis (born 2001). In 1996, their son Gabriel Michael was born prematurely and lived for only two hours (a sonogram taken before Gabriel was born revealed that his posterior urethral valve was closed and that the prognosis for his survival was therefore poor). Karen Santorum wrote a book about the experience: Letters to Gabriel: The True Story of Gabriel Michael Santorum.[5] In it, she writes that the couple brought the deceased infant home from the hospital and introduced the dead child to their living children as "your brother Gabriel" and slept with the body overnight before returning it to the hospital. The anecdote was also written about by Michael Sokolove in a 2005 'New York Times Magazine story on Santorum.[6] Karen is also the author of a book on etiquette for children.[7]

8-o

That is creepy. Why in the world would the hospital let them take the corpse and more importantly who in their right mind would do something like this?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikhayl » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:18 pm

Coppermine wrote:
CheeseBeger wrote:

Absolutely... I am from PA after all. I'm not sure he'd appreciate the designation :-b

It's ok, he lost the election by a mile. I guess being a bigot doesn't win you a lot of votes.

What the hell is upwith his children (spawn). ACS had that creepy avatar of his devil daughter for a while. The fat bkid oy with the glasses is totally going to be a serial killer when he grows up.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Coppermine » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:23 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:I don't know much about Santorum except for what he said about the Shiavo matter and the things that he's said about homosexuality. So I just checked out the wiki entry on him and look at this

wiki on Santorum wrote:Santorum and his wife, Karen Garver Santorum, have six children: Elizabeth Anne (born 1991); Richard John ("Johnny"), Jr. (born 1993); Daniel James (born 1995); Sarah Maria (born 1998); Peter Kenneth (born 1999); and Patrick Francis (born 2001). In 1996, their son Gabriel Michael was born prematurely and lived for only two hours (a sonogram taken before Gabriel was born revealed that his posterior urethral valve was closed and that the prognosis for his survival was therefore poor). Karen Santorum wrote a book about the experience: Letters to Gabriel: The True Story of Gabriel Michael Santorum.[5] In it, she writes that the couple brought the deceased infant home from the hospital and introduced the dead child to their living children as "your brother Gabriel" and slept with the body overnight before returning it to the hospital. The anecdote was also written about by Michael Sokolove in a 2005 'New York Times Magazine story on Santorum.[6] Karen is also the author of a book on etiquette for children.[7]

8-o

That is creepy. Why in the world would the hospital let them take the corpse and more importantly who in their right mind would do something like this?

That was just one of many unusual and/or upsetting events in Santorum's political career. He won a lot of support as a "family values" politician, a devout Catholic and a conservative. He lost of much of his credibility throughout his career.

Of particular note, something that upset many PA taxpayers, democrat or republican, is his cyber school controversy:

In November 2004, a controversy developed over education costs for Santorum's children. Santorum's legal address is a three-bedroom house in Penn Hills, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh, which he purchased for $87,800 in 1997. But since 2001, he has lived in Leesburg, Virginia, a town about one hour's drive west of Washington, D.C., and about 90 minutes' drive south of the Pennsylvania border, in a house he purchased for $643,000. The Penn Hills Progress, a local paper, reported that Santorum and his wife paid about $2,000 per year in property taxes on their Pennsylvania home. The paper also found that another couple — possibly renters — were registered voters at the same address.

At the time the issue arose, Santorum's five older children attended the Western Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School, with 80 percent of tuition costs paid by the Penn Hills School District.[65] At a meeting in November 2004, the Penn Hills School District announced that it did not believe Santorum met the qualifications for residency status, because he and his family spent most of the year in Virginia. They demanded repayment of tuition costs totaling $67,000. Santorum said he would make other arrangements for his children's education, but insisted that he did not owe the school board any back tuition.

And then his silly announcement about finding WMD's in Iraq:

In June 2006, Santorum declared that weapons of mass destruction (WMD) had been found in Iraq. The specific weapons he referred to were chemical munitions dating back to the Iran-Iraq War that were buried in the early 1990s. The report stated that while agents had degraded to an unknown degree, they remained dangerous and possibly lethal. Officials of the Department of Defense, CIA intelligence analysts, and the White House have all explicitly stated that these expired casings are not part of the WMD threat that Operation Iraqi Freedom was launched to contain.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:32 pm

Yeah, that's just regular politician stuff. This is bringing home a dead infant, introducing it to your three live children as their brother and then sleeping with it in your bed. I guess this is how they dealt with the death but Wes Craven couldn't have written anything creepier. Also, putting aside the fact that their mother wrote a book on ettiquette for children, how did this scar the three living children? I bet those kids are screwed up.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Next

Return to General Talk