Am I in a terrible league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Am I in a terrible league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Am I in a terrible league?

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:19 pm

Doughhead wrote:I think I've just about had it with my friends league.

It's a small (8 team) league and we have small lineups (no CI or MI, just 3 OF and one UTL, 5 SPs and 2 RPs, and only 3 bench spots). This means that guys like Juan Pierre, Rafael Furcal, and Bobby Jenks can be found rattling around the FA pool and we never have to delve too deep into the FA list.

Worst of all, because everyone has a pretty good team and the FA list is so deep, nobody ever makes trades (one so far this year) and the managers are all gun-shy when it comes to pulling the trigger. But then again, can you blame them? If you have a weakness in the OF, why give up a useful player from an area of strength to make an upgrade when you can just pick up Nick Markakis or Magglio Ordonez simply by dropping your worst player?

Although I've pushed for changes, I've also defended our league in the past. But I'm starting to get fed up with things. I know it's a friends league, but all the managers are competitive and the bragging rights are undeniable. Nevertheless, I feel our set-up is really problematic. Is it time to get look for something better?

If you aren't enjoying your league, then I would say that it is not a good league. If you were having fun, then it wouldn't be - it all depends on the person. It seems like you might have more knowledge than your league mates, so you would like more of a challenge by having more teams/positions.

The trading will also be a big problem, because as you said, there would never be a problem you couldn't fix from the FA list. I love trading, so this setup wouldn't work for me.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:19 pm

Doughhead wrote:The problem is, almost everybody else likes it just the way it is.

Then you have outgrown the league. If your friends are content playing in a league where they only need to know the top 150 or so players in the MLB at any given time, that's their perrogative, but as someone else said, you should also get yourself a "real" league.

I think everybody starts shallow when they first get into fantasy baseball, but as you get to know the players, most people crave a format that lets you use as many of them as possible. I really like deep mixed leagues, like 14 to 16 teams. I prefer them to NL/AL only leagues because I don't like the idea of superstar players switching leagues, but with fewer managers, that's probably the way I'd go.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:23 pm

zig zag daddy wrote:I think the best way to fix it is to do AL or NL only or deepen the starting lineups.

I agree with a league format;My family league plays AL one year NL the next.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hot4tx » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:50 pm

Doughhead wrote:The problem is, almost everybody else likes it just the way it is.

Maybe if you had more than 7 friends things would be better for you, no? :-b
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Doughhead » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:12 pm

hot4tx wrote:

Maybe if you had more than 7 friends things would be better for you, no? :-b

Good point. And one of them is my dog (his pitching is sick, too).
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:32 pm

The best solution is to try to expand the league if people don't want to change it. See if you can get 4 more interested people.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hot4tx » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:36 pm

That or invoke the sacred right of Prima Minocra, where you get to sleep with their wife on their wedding night. This way you can breed them and their ways out.

...and even if that doesn't work you got some free tail on the side ;-D
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby teddy ballgame » Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:42 pm

I'm in a small league with friends as well. It's a money league and I consider it my main league. Last year we had 8 but this year we went down to 6 because we only wanted people who actually checked their teams a lot. Yeah, every team is stacked, and yeah the FA is loaded but to me it's still fantasy baseball and I enjoy it just as much (actually even more since I know the people) as any of my other leagues with 10 or 12 teams.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby activechamp2006 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:37 pm

if you want a real challenge give a 16 team league a whirl. they're a lot of fun, it's tough finding decent guys on the free agent market. you have to take chances on guys you think could do something, if when they may be a big piece of poo.

i've never played in an 8 team league. i feel the more people, the more trash talk :-)
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers