Am I in a terrible league? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Am I in a terrible league?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Am I in a terrible league?

Postby Doughhead » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:48 am

I think I've just about had it with my friends league.

It's a small (8 team) league and we have small lineups (no CI or MI, just 3 OF and one UTL, 5 SPs and 2 RPs, and only 3 bench spots). This means that guys like Juan Pierre, Rafael Furcal, and Bobby Jenks can be found rattling around the FA pool and we never have to delve too deep into the FA list.

Worst of all, because everyone has a pretty good team and the FA list is so deep, nobody ever makes trades (one so far this year) and the managers are all gun-shy when it comes to pulling the trigger. But then again, can you blame them? If you have a weakness in the OF, why give up a useful player from an area of strength to make an upgrade when you can just pick up Nick Markakis or Magglio Ordonez simply by dropping your worst player?

Although I've pushed for changes, I've also defended our league in the past. But I'm starting to get fed up with things. I know it's a friends league, but all the managers are competitive and the bragging rights are undeniable. Nevertheless, I feel our set-up is really problematic. Is it time to get look for something better?
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 5 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:54 am

The answer is usually YES if there's a thread with that title.

Being in that league would be very frustrating to me too. I don't hate smaller leagues, I just don't understand the hesitancy for the extra active positions and would have a hard time enjoying a league in which you can field a superstar team by picking up FA. You said they're competitive but do they not listen to suggestions b/c they don't follow it hard-core like some of us?

Bottm line: If these guys are your friends, maybe stick with 'em but w/o a doubt I'd be looking for another league - a real one.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Rounders » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:00 am

Yeah, I don't like the shallow leagues. I don't especially like the setup the league with my friends because we don't have a CI or MI, but at least we have 12 teams.

If you want to stay for the bragging rights, you can always do multiple leagues - that was my solution.
Rounders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ScrappyDoo » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:05 am

I play in an 8 team league. Our positions are the usual infield, LF, CF, RF, two Utils. 4 SP, 3 RP, 3 P, with 6 Bench spots.

It makes the league a lot deeper and the WW isnt all that great.
ScrappyDoo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zig zag daddy » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:09 am

I think the best way to fix it is to do AL or NL only or deepen the starting lineups.
zig zag daddy
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Doughhead » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:38 am

The problem is, almost everybody else likes it just the way it is.
DOUGHHEAD
Doughhead
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby astav28 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:50 am

the keeper league i have with my friends is 10 teams:

traditional catcher,1b,2b,ss,3b,of,of,of, but we have two utilities
sp,sp,rp,rp,p,p,p and 6 bench spots

i really love the league because its with my friends, a keeper and also for us, there seems to be ever any real quality players on waivers because of the 6 bench spots, 3 dl spots and 2 utility spots.

Right now other than mike cameron, kelly johnson, willy taveras, randy wolf and jeff suppan theres nothing really even worth looking at
astav28
College Coach
College Coach

Postby roninmedia » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:54 am

If you are really having fun, stay. :-)

Otherwise, you should add another league in addition to this one where it's deeper and allows for more freedom in roster turnover.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:14 pm

That sounds like more of a fantasy football team, than fantasy baseball.... RB, RB, RB, WR, RB, QB, RB, RB, WR, RB, TE, RB, RB, RB, RB, RB, K, RB, WR, RB, RB... etc :-D
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:10 pm

traditional catcher,1b,2b,ss,3b,of,of,of, but we have two utilities
sp,sp,rp,rp,p,p,p and 6 bench spots

That isn't a traditional league, thats a yahoo public league format. Traditional roto is 14 hitters, 9 pitchers.

If you are having fun go ahead and keep playing in the league but if you are serious about fantasy baseball you'll probably want to move to a format that is either AL or NL only or has at least 23 lineup spots.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers