Should Moderators Be Fantasy Experts? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Should Moderators Be Fantasy Experts?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Tribe-Fan » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:00 am

Ok, I'll concede this one. This poll was started based on a discussion Trev and I were having, as far as if the moderators should be held to a higher standard with their advice simply because they are moderators. I contended that the moderators here are in effect the leaders, and should have above average knowledge of fantasy baseball and be able to offer more sound advice then the general posting member. But it appears that I am in the minority on that one, and that the mods are not really required to have said knowledge. I will also add that I think the mods do a great job of preventing this board from turning into a name calling contest, and for that they should be commended.

Never let it be said I can't admit when I am wrong. Of course, I doubt the issue of me being wrong will come up very often. I can't even remember the last time it happened. (I would insert one of those smiley faces here that denoted humor, but I am both male and over 12 years old and I can't bring myself to use them.)
Eternal vigilance is the price of integrity.
Tribe-Fan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:20 am

Glad to hear that the majority are happy. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby swingaway » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:34 am

denvermax wrote:i think the moderators are great as well. but i dont know what makes someone a fantasy expert. all i know is that they sure as hell know a lot and are always on to give an opinion.

i agree with that statement there alway s seems to be a mod onlin at all times of day and night. The mods here are friendly and point your mistakes and give advice on how to fix them as well. ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby crapshooter » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:40 am

I certainly hope moderators aren't supposed to be experts. If I post a question I'm only looking for opinions. You learn to trust some people's opinions more than others, but that certainly doesn't make them an expert.

IMO moderators should keep the trash out of post but be open minded when someone suggest helpful information.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby timkell » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:04 pm

First post of the new year for me! Two weeks vacation is a wonderful thing.

I agree with most of the posts, that a mod doesn't necessarily have to be an expert. I think having a great deal of fantasy experience and knowledge would almost come naturally from the job, though, based on the other requirements.

Number one, they have to be very active posters. Mods are responsible for keeping discussions flowing. At the cafe, this has become less important because we now have a pretty large group of users. When I first started coming, though, I know Arlo tried very hard to make sure everyone got a response to a new thread. It didn't necessarily matter what level of expertise was used in the response. It mattered most that the person got one. That would keep us coming back, as a board with little back and forth will quickly die away. Thanks for that, Arlo!

Number two, they have to be friendly and supportive of all opinions. A mod should not be someone to heave insults at someone else, although I like having these guys around too sometimes.

I think those are the main two criteria, and it seems if someone's a very active poster, they'll typically know more than the average person, simply because they spend more time thinking about the subject.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Y`s Guy » Mon Jan 12, 2004 1:49 pm

I think moderaters should stick to what they do best...and stay in the kitchen!
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 278)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Cornbread Maxwell » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:23 pm

I know this thread has turned out to be a bit of a pep rally for the Mods, and I want to keep it going. I have spent the majority of my time on the football side until recently, so I do have a bit more experience here than my <20 posts indicates. I also spend time at other fantasy forum sites - at least I used to.

The Mods here are truly special. Rarely condesending. Always willing to help. Extremely active. Funny. Humble even.

Way to go guys, keep up the phenominal job! ;-D
Cornbread Maxwell
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:24 pm

ramble2 wrote:I'd only expect fantasy baseball experts if I were paying to use this site. My understanding of what the moderators do is to keep things civil. It's just a bonus that they also bring informed (and diverse) opinion to fantasy baseball.

Great job mods! ;-D

I agree. Moderators are here to keep the site running smoothly by making sure that posts are in the right areas, editing posts, directing members, etc. Baseball knowledge is a plus. I don't overvalue information because of the title. I value information based on the person and not the title.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Pedantic » Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:03 pm

wrveres wrote:A mod is basically forum Police.

I agree with this assessment. Although, sometimes I think they are a little lax around here...
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Erboes » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:06 pm

Pedantic wrote:
wrveres wrote:A mod is basically forum Police.

I agree with this assessment. Although, sometimes I think they are a little lax around here...

Am I getting paranoid or is that another dig at me?
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers