Countdown to Lincecum (Russ Ortiz Edition) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Countdown to Lincecum (Russ Ortiz Edition)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Danimal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:50 pm

Yea, I keep hoping something opens up. I have him on my bench in three leagues.

;-D
Danimal
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eftda » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:39 am

It will take AOLT to get timmy to take over for Ortiz. Russ Ortiz is getting paid 300,000 by the Giants this year.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pokerplaya » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:55 am

eftda wrote:It will take AOLT to get timmy to take over for Ortiz. Russ Ortiz is getting paid 300,000 by the Giants this year.

Not that I disagree that Ortiz probably has some decent job security at this point, but wouldn't the fact that he is making around the league minimum point to the fact that he can easily be removed from the rotation? It's not like his is making 10 million per which will just be wasted...he is no risk.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby smoovethug » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:29 am

Why dont they just pull a page from Charlie Manuel's book and send Russ Ortiz to the pen and let Lincecum take his rotation spot? ;-7

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Fonzerelli » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:00 am

[quote="eftda"]It will take AOLT to get timmy to take over for Ortiz. Russ Ortiz is getting paid 300,000 by the Giants this year.[/quote]

I'm not sure of the numbers, but 300,000 is a pittance in MLB. Buster Olney blogged awhile back that essentially the D-backs were paying Ortiz to beat them (when the Giants beat the D-backs). So I don't believe the Giants are even paying a great deal of his salary. None-the-less he has pitched surprisingly well and not bad enough to get the hook......yet.
Fonzerelli
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Diggs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:50 am

Read this. Are the Giants going to use Linecum out of the bullpen when they call him up? 8-o

Lincecum not long for Fresno
04/24/2007

LOS ANGELES — The marketing folks in Fresno shouldn't plan any campaigns around Tim Lincecum. The heralded right-hander won't be in the Central Valley very long.
Giants general manager Brian Sabean acknowledged that Lincecum is knocking on the big league door, even though the club has no place for him in the rotation.

"If he continues on this path, he's certainly not a minor league pitcher," Sabean said. "At some point, you've got to admit that and make room. He's on his way to forcing the issue."

Sabean spoke prior to Lincecum's start Monday. The 22-year-old entered that outing having thrown 18 scoreless innings with 28 strikeouts over his first three outings.

Sabean is in the final year of his contract and under a mandate to win, which can shift priorities. But Sabean said that if he brings up Lincecum to bolster a sagging late-inning relief crew, it's because the kid belongs in the big leagues.

"He's very, very unique," Sabean said. "And this day in age, when the kid forces the issue, it becomes incumbent on the organization to (promote him). We've seen more pitchers coming out of college with seemingly instant success. If he can help the big league club, and it's good for him, you have to look at it."

The Giants took Lincecum with the 10th overall pick last June out of Washington. He won the Golden Spikes award as the nation's top amateur player.
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:30 am

Right now, I think anything is possible. The comment about him coming up to pitch relief is actually a positive. They are simply saying that he's too good to be in Triple A, so it's not going to take an injury/blowup for him to get called up.

If they call him up to pitch in relief, he's still most likely to be the #6 starter if someone gets hurt or Ortiz/Morris start to pitch poorly.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Diggs » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:50 am

mak1277 wrote:Right now, I think anything is possible. The comment about him coming up to pitch relief is actually a positive. They are simply saying that he's too good to be in Triple A, so it's not going to take an injury/blowup for him to get called up.

If they call him up to pitch in relief, he's still most likely to be the #6 starter if someone gets hurt or Ortiz/Morris start to pitch poorly.

Agreed for the most part; but the kid is a starter and always has been. I'd like to think that the professional GM's and coaches are smarter then us (although it is the SF Giants we're talking about here ;-) ), but I'm not sure if taking a kid who has done nothing but start his entire life and now converting him (especially if it is only for the short term) to a guy who warms up in the bullpen 5 minutes before he gets called upon just to go out and only throw for 1 or 2 innings worth of work is the best idea.

There is a HUGE difference between starting and relieving; both mental and physical. The kid seems to be a $$$$$$$ starter. I just don't think changing that would be in his best interest.

But again; what do I know. I am a former college baseball player, but I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night. ;-)
I am a New York Jets, New York Mets, and New York Knicks fan. I know misery like few other sports fans know ...
Diggs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:57 am

Diggs wrote:
mak1277 wrote:Right now, I think anything is possible. The comment about him coming up to pitch relief is actually a positive. They are simply saying that he's too good to be in Triple A, so it's not going to take an injury/blowup for him to get called up.

Agreed for the most part; but the kid is a starter and always has been. I'd like to think that the professional GM's and coaches are smarter then us (although it is the SF Giants we're talking about here ;-) ), but I'm not sure if taking a kid who has done nothing but start his entire life and now converting him (especially if it is only for the short term) to a guy who warms up in the bullpen 5 minutes before he gets called upon just to go out and only throw for 1 or 2 innings worth of work is the best idea.

There is a HUGE difference between starting and relieving; both mental and physical. The kid seems to be a $$$$$$$ starter. I just don't think changing that would be in his best interest.

But again; what do I know. I am a former college baseball player, but I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night. ;-)

I understand what you're saying, and I agree they are different. There is a lot to be said, though, for having a kid start his career as a reliever and move into the starting rotation. Not saying it's right or wrong, but I know Earl Weaver, for one, always believed this was the best way to develop a pitcher.

Plus, keeping him in Triple A won't do him any good if he continues to crush those guys. At some point, he needs to come up to the majors in one role or another.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:16 am

Sabean claimed that he won't use Linc as a reliever yesterday. I am updating his status in the minor league forum:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... &start=660
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers