Who Listens to Baseball Games on the Radio? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who Listens to Baseball Games on the Radio?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Old_Style » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:49 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:Chemistry. I think the two guys in the booth getting along is the most important thing. I'm a diehard White Sox fan and I openly admit that I hate the Sox tv and radio crews. If I have a choice to listen to Hughes and Santo instead of Farmer and Singelton, its the Cubs guys everyday. You can tell how much they actually like each other. Santo's a space cadet and Hughes is the perfect straight man, and really smart. They both realize that Santo isn't the greatest at his job and they goof around about his mistakes. A couple years ago Hughes and Santo used to guess the crowd attendance vs one another. Santo would always be 5-10 thousand fans off and they would have fun with that. I always loved catching that part.

On the other side, Farmer and Singleton are nearly unlistenable to me. There is no chemistry, they're repeatedly talking over each other, and on long strechs Farmer will just let Singelton sit out there by himself on an island. It's awwwwful.

As for how much I want the score told to me, I guess I never really think of it. And if I'm not thinking about they must doing a solid job with it.

I feel almost the same way, but I'm a fan of Hawk Harrelson. Pretty sure I'm in the minority on that one though. !+)
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby crapshooter » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:22 am

The only team I can't stand to listen to on the radio is the Rangers. They have always had a below average broadcast team.
You don't have to like 'em to own 'em!!!!
crapshooter
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:11 am

I've listened to Bob Ueker for so long that I can't stand listening to most radio announcers, they all just seem so flat and boring compared to him.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Dmville » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:31 am

Chicago guy here too.

I'm warming to Farmio and Singleton. Farmio's voice can get a bit monotone, but he calls things very authoritatively and puts his playing experience into play. And he has a little smart***/cynicism in him, which is good. And they're getting better about not leaving dead air I think.

Pat and Ron---Pat would be one of the best in baseball if he didn't have to pander to Ron and toss him softball questions just to get some kind of actual useful baseball commentary out of him besides "Aw, Geez". Believe me, I appreciate Santo and all his enthusiasm for the game and Cubs, but to me he is almost unlistenable. I like the way Pat describes the visual scene throughout the game and he is good about recaps of stats, score etc.

With Ron out now for a lil bit though, Dave Otto----Oh man, please tell me they're not grooming this guy to be a long term replacement at some point in time.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby MotorCityKitties » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:57 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:Chemistry. I think the two guys in the booth getting along is the most important thing. I'm a diehard White Sox fan and I openly admit that I hate the Sox tv and radio crews. If I have a choice to listen to Hughes and Santo instead of Farmer and Singelton, its the Cubs guys everyday. You can tell how much they actually like each other. Santo's a space cadet and Hughes is the perfect straight man, and really smart. They both realize that Santo isn't the greatest at his job and they goof around about his mistakes. A couple years ago Hughes and Santo used to guess the crowd attendance vs one another. Santo would always be 5-10 thousand fans off and they would have fun with that. I always loved catching that part.

On the other side, Farmer and Singleton are nearly unlistenable to me. There is no chemistry, they're repeatedly talking over each other, and on long strechs Farmer will just let Singelton sit out there by himself on an island. It's awwwwful.

As for how much I want the score told to me, I guess I never really think of it. And if I'm not thinking about they must doing a solid job with it.

I live on the west side of Michigan and the radio signals from Chicago must travel really well over Lake Michigan. I must say that Farmer and Singleton are far and away the worst radio combo I have ever heard. Farmer is an arrogant buffoon and Singleton sounds like his baseball experience is a couple years in tee-ball. You are right Miner, it's easy to tell that Farmer does not like Singleton. There are always awkward pauses after Singleton says something stupid and Farmer won't say anything. It's funny because it's almost punishment that singleton said something so weird and irrelevant, but the awkward pauses make it impossible to listen to. When Farmer was with the guy that went to the Cards he was still annoying, but that combo was much easier to listen to.
MotorCityKitties
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:00 am

I always listen to the Braves on the radio. Skip Caray is hilarious. He's sooo sarcastic sometimes. Joe's fun to listen to, too.

Chip Caray, OTOH, is just awful, whether on the radio or TV. Just god-awful....
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers