Who Listens to Baseball Games on the Radio? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who Listens to Baseball Games on the Radio?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Old_Style » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:40 pm

LukeW9027 wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:W/ Tivo I can adjust the radio and TV so that they are in sync.

Man, i always have to be reminded how tough it is to live without Tivo. :,-(

I'm still living in the Dark Ages. !+)
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:43 pm

I like it when they give the sound of baseball a voice in the booth. Hearing the crowd react, the sound of the bat on the ball or a collision at the plate really makes it an experience.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby shasty mcnasty » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:48 pm

i regularly listen to Ed Farmer (play by play) and Chris Singleton (color) call Whitesox games on the radio.
I like the back and forth between former pitcher and former hitter...it makes for entertaining radio during times in a game when there's not much going on.
I agree with a previous post that said excitement level is important...last year was Singleton's first, and when he would do play by play (1 inning/game last year), he had no emotion whatever...very difficult to listen to.
I also appreciate when announcers don't have to make excuses for players who are struggling...just because you are broadcasting for a team doesn't mean that you can't point out the negative things as well as the positive.
I find it amusing when Ed Farmer brings up how this guy or that guy (often "Pudge") looks smaller than he used to, and Singleton never takes the bait...Singleton was a player very recently, and he won't really get into any PED discussion, and he's also pretty reticent to be too hard on any player...Farmer on the other hand, will definitely tell it like he sees it.
Obviously, i dislike radio silence...i often take trips out west on summer break, and catch games while on the way out...Minnesota ones come to mind, and it seems like whenever i hear the Twins announcers, there are always healthy amounts of radio silence...most of the time, you don't even hear the color guy at all...
Farmer and Singleton are continually getting into little details of their day, kinda going back and forth, taking small shots at eachother here and there...i find that amusing as well, though certainly not important to the broadcast.

Guess i'd disagree with the above poster...i find it difficult to listen to Ron Santo on the radio...he adds virtually nothing as far as meaningful baseball information...he does get really emotional then they do something good/bad, and i guess that's entertaining to kinda laugh at, but other than a brief laugh, i find him onerous. his partner pat hughes, on the other hand, is a pro.
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:14 pm

Seriously, too monotone is awful. It seems like every time(in the day) I listened to the Phillies on the radio, it would be so dry, and it always seemed like a "low 2-2 pitch to Doug Glanville."
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:21 pm

Nothing like listening to Mike Shannon call a game for the Cards. It's like listening to your grandpa tell a story. This new Rooney guy is also very strong, I like him a lot more than Wayne Hagin. I think the Cards radio announcers are very good for the most part. Don't get me started on the local tv guys though :-t
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby OgreBallz » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:13 pm

I have XM radio which broadcasts all of the games being played that day. It is pretty cool living in New Jersey and listening to games all over the country. It's Also cool when you can listen to your pitchers for the day doing well (not so much when they are getting drilled though...lol).
OgreBallz
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mercer Boy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:25 pm

I don't want to, but I have to listen to Pirates games on the radio at least 1/4 of the year because FSN Pittsburgh doesn't show all the games. :-[ Lanny Frattare might be better on the radio than he is on TV just because he seems to be more lively during the big hits and important situations.

I would much rather watch on TV though.
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby OneLoveBoomer » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:01 am

I listen to games on the radio a lot, and there are two things I really appreciate: Recapping player's AB stats on the day at pretty much every plate appearance, and frequent scoreboard updates from around the league (naming HR hitters on the day) ;-D
OneLoveBoomer
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:24 am

Chemistry. I think the two guys in the booth getting along is the most important thing. I'm a diehard White Sox fan and I openly admit that I hate the Sox tv and radio crews. If I have a choice to listen to Hughes and Santo instead of Farmer and Singelton, its the Cubs guys everyday. You can tell how much they actually like each other. Santo's a space cadet and Hughes is the perfect straight man, and really smart. They both realize that Santo isn't the greatest at his job and they goof around about his mistakes. A couple years ago Hughes and Santo used to guess the crowd attendance vs one another. Santo would always be 5-10 thousand fans off and they would have fun with that. I always loved catching that part.

On the other side, Farmer and Singleton are nearly unlistenable to me. There is no chemistry, they're repeatedly talking over each other, and on long strechs Farmer will just let Singelton sit out there by himself on an island. It's awwwwful.

As for how much I want the score told to me, I guess I never really think of it. And if I'm not thinking about they must doing a solid job with it.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eftda » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:41 am

I listen to playoff games when I am on the road. I also listen to the Giants when I am taking long drives in the summer.
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers