Maddux is next quarry at Shea??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Maddux is next quarry at Shea???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Maddux is next quarry at Shea???

Postby L0rdB23 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:29 pm

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qst ... FlZUVFeXk2

Although reeling from the news that Vladimir Guerrero was in and out of their grasp in just 24 hours, apparently on his way to Anaheim, the Mets already are mulling their next target - Greg Maddux. Members of the organization believe Fred Wilpon could be convinced to use the $10 million to $11 million that was ticketed for Guerrero on Maddux.

Indeed, there were two lessons to be gleaned from the failed courtship of Guerrero. First, the Mets were blatantly used by agents Arn Tellem and Fern Cuza to secure a better offer from the Angels, who will announce today signing Guerrero to a five-year, $70 million contract. And second, the Guerrero-to-Shea fantasy, however short-lived, opened the Mets' eyes to the notion that they're one superstar away from becoming a 90-win team.

One major league official indicated late Saturday night the Mets would be in touch with Scott Boras, Maddux's agent, to measure his interest in playing in New York. The future Hall of Famer, although clearly past his Cy Young Award prime, "probably has one or two good years left" and would fit at the front of the Mets' rotation. After not being offered arbitration by the Braves, Maddux has been spurned by the Padres and Cardinals this winter. In theory, the Mets have a chance.

They thought they had a similar hope with Guerrero - only to discover from the right fielder's agents that a "mystery" team - which they later learned was the Angels — had entered the bidding Thursday night. The Mets admitted they were perplexed by Tellem's tactics, considering the agent had solicited an offer from them only 24 hours earlier.

Most disturbing to the Mets is that they were never given a counter-proposal from Guerrero's agents, and were never given the chance to fatten their initial offer.

No one at Shea has forgotten that Tellem used a similar tactic a year ago, soliciting an offer for Hideki Matsui from the Mets before the Japanese outfielder signed with the Yankees. Wilpon and GM Jim Duquette have every right to feel they'd been played for suckers. But Duquette said he had no regrets about the Mets' offer, worth up to $72 million over five years with incentives.

In retrospect, the Mets might've improved their chances by guaranteeing all five years, but members of the front office now say such a move would've been pointless. Guerrero wasn't coming to New York, no matter what. If so, the Mets emerged from this incident bruised and disappointed, but not embarrassed.

Without Guerrero, the Mets have completed a respectable, although not breathtaking, off-season rebuilding. Still, as one executive said the other day, "with Vlad, we go to 90 wins just like that."

Of course, there's no guarantee Wilpon has any further appetite to spend, even if he's one superstar from playoff contention. With the payroll already at $80 million, Wilpon might just as well be glad Guerrero chose the Angels, at least if the owner's intention is to save money.

But Wilpon no longer can pretend he's broke. Met employees now know there's a "special player" fund hidden in the owner's financial empire. That's why there's internal pressure to begin chasing Maddux. The Mets' off-season machinery may not be unplugged just yet

o boy .. another agin vet .. i really hope hes learned!!
L0rdB23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby trevisc » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:54 pm

I think he'd be making a big mistake by going with the mets. But that's coming from an avid braves fan!

:-]
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Postby Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:01 pm

You snooze, you lose.....I don't feel bad whatsoever for the Mets.

I hope they do sign Maddux (so my Cubs don't). Fitting it'd be 2 years straight that ex-Braves flop.

They should of ponied up a couple of their prospects (somthing like Wright/Huber and Kazmir) and dealt for Vazquez. That's my winning opinion.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby TheYanks04 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:09 pm

First off, the Mets being played by Vladdy and his agents was called by some here (myself included). Same thing thtat happened with Juan Gone only it was not so blatantly done this time.

Secondly, Maddux would be a HORRIBLE signing by the Mets. Why would you pay that type of money for another old guy? He is clearly on he serious decline the past couple of seasons and unless you thought you needed a starter to put you overthe top for a pennant or ring, it would be enormously foolish and a waste of money. Just my opinion though.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby kentx12 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:26 pm

Maddux would be a great fit for the Mets. A declineing older player. That are the type they love to give big money too.
kentx12
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby denvermax » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:30 pm

this could be just like glavine
denvermax
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CardinalFreek989 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 5:30 pm

I'd like to see Maddox with the mets he would fit in to their roatation nicely and give them another strong arm for this year at least.
CardinalFreek989
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Scoot » Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:25 pm

HA! this article said that the Mets are one superstar away from being a 90 win team! the only joke bigger than that is the owner of the Mets, Wilpon. This guys is a joke. Not only are they not going to sign anyone that will help their team but the organization is going to raise the tickets prices. This is one of the worse organizations in baseball. It is funny when the biggest offseason signing is this SS Kaz Matsui but the Mets already have a SS of the future in Reyes. Why would you sign that guy!!!!!! Stupid

If I were Maddux I would rather play for the Tigers or Padres at least they are trying to get better.
Scoot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby moose » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:03 pm

Woa! Woa! Woa!

I have never seen the hatred for the Mets anywhere like this place. Jesuz Khrist you'd think they won the last 5 Series.

They are NOT raising ticket prices. Wherever you got that from was pure garbage.

Cut the Mets some slack! Last place club people - pick another target.
moose
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby trevisc » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:07 pm

moose wrote:Woa! Woa! Woa!

I have never seen the hatred for the Mets anywhere like this place. Jesuz Khrist you'd think they won the last 5 Series.

They are NOT raising ticket prices. Wherever you got that from was pure garbage.

Cut the Mets some slack! Last place club people - pick another target.

yeah..point the arrows toward the other side of town!

j/k
trevisc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Location: Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2004,2005 Keeper League Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers