Big Tex what a stiff! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Big Tex what a stiff!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:41 am

Yoda wrote:And he was probably overrated once again by the same people such as yourself who claimed that 1st half 06 was a fluke and banked on his huge second half.

Ooo! Close, but wrong again:

JTWood wrote:
Laean wrote:if it's a roto league, i would be pretty frustrated i suppose, but then i would've known better than to draft him 1st or 2nd round.

Who in their right mind drafted him in the first or second round this year?

;-D
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:20 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Yoda wrote:And he was probably overrated once again by the same people such as yourself who claimed that 1st half 06 was a fluke and banked on his huge second half.

JTWood wrote:
Laean wrote:if it's a roto league, i would be pretty frustrated i suppose, but then i would've known better than to draft him 1st or 2nd round.

;-D

According to ADPs, as far as where Teixeira was drafted in 07:
Mock Draft Central - 17th
Yahoo - 16th
ESPN -20th

Unless you play in an 8 team league, on average, he was going 2nd round or higher.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:27 am

Yoda wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:

JTWood wrote:

;-D

According to ADPs, as far as where Teixeira was drafted in 07:
Mock Draft Central - 17th
Yahoo - 16th
ESPN -20th

Unless you play in an 8 team league, on average, he was going 2nd round or higher.

Like I said above, makes no sense to me.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:27 am

Let me play devil's advocate here. I didn't draft him early this season but can you blame anyone that did?? I can't. He is entering what should be his prime years. He had 3 straight years of improvement before last season and had a great 2nd half after an extremely slow start last season. We try to look for trends. What reason do we have that his 2006 slow start is the norm rather than the 3 improving years and a solid 2nd half last season??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby J35J » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:31 am

Lofunzo wrote:Let me play devil's advocate here. I didn't draft him early this season but can you blame anyone that did?? I can't. He is entering what should be his prime years. He had 3 straight years of improvement before last season and had a great 2nd half after an extremely slow start last season. We try to look for trends. What reason do we have that his 2006 slow start is the norm rather than the 3 improving years and a solid 2nd half last season??

Not sure its playing devil's advocate, its pretty much right on! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby Yoda » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:34 am

Lofunzo wrote:Let me play devil's advocate here. I didn't draft him early this season but can you blame anyone that did?? I can't. He is entering what should be his prime years. He had 3 straight years of improvement before last season and had a great 2nd half after an extremely slow start last season. We try to look for trends. What reason do we have that his 2006 slow start is the norm rather than the 3 improving years and a solid 2nd half last season??

No I don't blame people at all. He is obviously a talented player who is being overvalued due to his monster 05 season. He is the type of guy that will never end up on my roster (unless I buy low like right now).
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:36 am

From my perspective, and it's one that is admittedly skewed by my insistence on playing only H2H leagues, his 2006 early-season drought really emphasized his streakiness; something I'd previously glossed over because his overall numbers were so good.

Look at '04 and '05. Those are some pretty dramatic peaks and valleys.

H2H does not generally shine favorably on people that draft a lot of streaky players.
Last edited by StlSluggers on Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby roninmedia » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:45 am

#20 in Cafeholics Mock
#11 in Holliday Mock
#21 in Mock Draft II
#16 in Mock Draft III
#18 in 12 AM

4 second rounders and a 1st rounder. You can't argue his streakiness in a roto league because the overall numbers really count. I had him in a roto league before the season started but I moved him. Of course, the deal seems to be working out now because I doubted he reaches his 2005 numbers, I don't see 40 HRs, but I don't know how hot he will get when he gets going.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby hett2333 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:02 pm

Rangers manager Ron Washington said he may give 1B Mark Teixeira a day off from fielding duties this weekend while the Rangers are in Toronto. Teixeira, who would start at DH, has played 467 consecutive games, but he is bothered by sore knees. It has been a problem since spring training. The Rangers play four games on turf in Toronto and 10 on turf overall this season.
(Updated 04/27/2007).

That was off of cbssportsline. I know this could go in the injury/player updates, but maybe this goes in line with why he has been so terrible. He doesn't even look right at the plate. Hope those knees aren't an issue all year...
hett2333
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Geek » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:10 pm

It's funny--he was pretty high on my list as a potential pick but I didn't wind up with him--there was always someone else I liked better available.

But yeah, I'll never draft him again.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers