Eric MUnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Eric MUnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Aikoprod » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:43 pm

Will he do it? Beats me, but he's worth keeping an eye on. I suggest keeping an eye on him in the spring for hints whether he has started taking that step.

I agree, also think he'll be about .260 w/ 25 HRs
Aikoprod
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StLrEdBiRdS2004 » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:51 pm

I dont even know if hell be that good, remember, TIGERS.

http://excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=1400
StLrEdBiRdS2004
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Erboes » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:59 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:He definitely could be worth a late pick, but I'd question the BA projection. He never topped .270 in the minors and I think it's unrealistic to expect him to do it yet in the majors. I'd expect more like .250 and 25 HRs. If the Tigers give him a chance to bat in the heart of the order, he'd add some nice RBI totals, but no SBs and probably few runs.

I said he has to take the step to hit .270. This is no way a suggestion he will, but I think he's making nice progress as a hitter and could become a productive one next season -- or not. Just watch him, that's all I suggest.

My projection, by the way, is .272, 28, 105. It will change if he's struggling in the spring, which tells me he hasn't worked on the stuff he should be working on. For now, though, I like these a lot.
Erboes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Eric MUnson

Postby Casimir » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:24 pm

rain71 wrote:What do you guys think? I think he could be a nice sleeper this year. I could get him in my keeper league for Practically nothing.

I think he's going to be a nice surprise this season. He's got a few things going for him that should help him improve from last season:

1. A better lineup around him. Last season's lineup was, eh, how shall we say it..., not good. This season, the middle of the lineup has Rondell White, and if he stays healthy, could take pressure off of Munson and Carlos Pena.

2. The tough part of switching positions should be over with. He's gotten his feet wet over at the hot corner, so this season he'll be able to focus more on hitting as opposed to fielding (although his range at 3rd needs work).

3. Maturity/experience. Munson, as well as most of the Tigers, really struggled big time early on at the plate. If I recall correctly, his AVG didn't get above .200 until early May. He finally found a stroke and was doing decently before his season ending injury. Hopefully he can find that groove ealry this season.

All in all, I think he'll be a good bargian for power numbers, and possibly in the RBI department because many people will pooh-pooh any Tiger hitters. I wouldn't expect him to help with AVG, though, and definitely not in SB.
Addicted to the Cafe on 01/04/04.
Casimir
College Coach
College Coach

Location: On my way to the World Series victory parade for the Tigers.

Postby swingaway » Mon Jan 12, 2004 6:17 am

StLrEdBiRdS2004 wrote:I dont even know if hell be that good, remember, TIGERS.

i agree the team he plays for should be a good enough reason to stay away from him.
swingaway
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mcqfesijiba » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:25 pm

Munson has a very good shot at being a 30 HR type of hitter, but RBIs won't be in bunches as he'll be lucky to even approach 80 and his average will likely be .260 or below. His swing's a little bit too long and has been that way since the day they drafted him in the first round several years back. He's not one to draft except maybe in a deep AL only league, but he's definitely one to keep in mind if you are desperate at 3rd. The Tigers offense won't exactly be great this year, but it definitely won't be the worst.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:07 pm

Erboes wrote:How come I'm always in the minority on just about every player?

I think Munson is one of those players you should keep an eye on during the spring. He's not far off from being a plus fantasy ballplayer. He has the power, doesn't strike out all that much and has a decent eye, it's just his average that needs improvement. Remember, he's had much better success than Blalock or Ensberg in his first extended look at the majors and those two turned out alright. If you can keep him for a couple bucks I think it's an excellent investment or as a late round backup since he'll go undrafted in most mixed leagues.

Erbs...I am in this one with you....I like the kid....He has good power...and in time should develop a little more plate discipline....This year, I would only draft him in AL only leagues...but I think he is close to making a impact in mixed leagues..... :-)

Another thing...don't buy into the bad teams = bad players....remember Huff, Reyes, Little Matsui, Kendall, K Wells, Podsednik, Jenkins, Young all play on bad teams....but do have fantasy value..... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers