Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Hello

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hello

Postby ScreamingWeasel_fbc » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:33 am

"Hello".
First time poster. But a Cards fan.
So I thought I'd start here.

To tell the truth, I'm just beginning (over the past few years) to get back into baseball after being away for ... oh ... the last 40 years or so.
They tell me that Dizzy Dean and Pee Wee Reese no longer do the NBC Game Of The Week - "... brought to you by Schlitz. The beer that made Milwaukee famous".
:-)

I did manage to win my H2H league last year. Mainly on the strength of Pujols and great pitching.
But I'm definitely going to need some help.
ScreamingWeasel_fbc Beginner
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bell » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:23 pm

Welcome to the Cafe! And glad to see baseball was able to pull you back in after such a hiatus! ;-D

If you frequent the "Fantasy Baseball Talk" and "Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions" boards, you should be more than prepared for the upcoming season.

You'll have to excuse some of us for our offhanded, less-than-complimentary Cardinals' remarks. It's not because we hate. It's because we care. (Well, except for me. I still have a chip on my shoulder when it comes to them) ;-D ;-D
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ScreamingWeasel_fbc » Sun Jan 11, 2004 7:09 pm

bell wrote:Welcome to the Cafe! And glad to see baseball was able to pull you back in after such a hiatus! ;-D

Thanks, "Bell".
My 1st love as a kid, so long ago, was always baseball.
But, I admit it, I've far-and-away been an NFL fan for most of my adult life.
But. I don't know ...
Seems like as I get older (I'll be 50 in April!) MLB just keeps calling to me. It's weird.
Come baaaack. Come baaaack.
The NFL has changed so much, so much parity in the league, it's become less than it once was for me.
While baseball is just always there. Tradition. History. America. Year in. Year out. You know?
I'm hoping this site can help pull me all the way in.
I'm still at the point right now when I can't sit down and watch a game on a Wednesday night in April because there's 110 games left to go!
Help me! :-)
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Madison » Sun Jan 11, 2004 11:52 pm

Well, well, well. Guess who joined. :-D

Welcome to our side Wease! ;-D Look forward to seeing you around here. :-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:34 pm

Hey Wease.....Welcome to our side.... ;-D

and Welcome back to the real American Pasttime..... :-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ScreamingWeasel_fbc » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:16 pm

DieHardCubbie wrote:Hey Wease.....Welcome to our side.... ;-D
and Welcome back to the real American Pasttime..... :-)

Thanks, DHC!
Good to hear from you again.

And ... pssssst ... don't tell anyone over at the Football Cafe. OK?
You know, of course, they widely consider you guys "The Dark Side Of The Force".
LOL! :-D
Sandy Koufax: [i]The Once And Future King[/i]
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Nisly » Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:00 pm

Just out of curiosity, Bell, what are you bitter about? I seem to remember your guys (D-Backs) knocking us out of the playoffs a couple times recently. Oh, and of course Cintron's play at third where he dislocated Rolen's shoulder and knocked him out of the playoffs also comes to mind.

Anyway, welcome to the cafe Weasel. Were you a regular on the Football site?
Nisly
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bell » Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:08 pm

Nisly wrote:Just out of curiosity, Bell, what are you bitter about? I seem to remember your guys (D-Backs) knocking us out of the playoffs a couple times recently. Oh, and of course Cintron's play at third where he dislocated Rolen's shoulder and knocked him out of the playoffs also comes to mind.

Well, that incident between Cintron and Rolen was an unfortunate accident. No doubt Cintron's inexperience could be attributed to that. And you guys knocked us out the last go-round.

A few things:

1. Steve Kline. He gave up the game winning hit in the 2001 playoff series, then Kline was a sore loser and mouthed off after we knocked the Cardinals out and went on to the World Series.

2. Tony La Russa. Just because he's Tony La Russa and he's as temperamental as they come.

3. Tino Martinez. You don't get a baseball thrown at you if you don't have a premeditated attack on someone. If you're going to be a man and attack a pitcher for pitching high and tight, have the gall to charge him right away. Otherwise suck it up and move on.

And on top of that Martinez gets his suspension reduced, if I remember correctly.

Of course now there will be no more amazing Schilling/Morris matchups. :,-(
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Nisly » Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:28 pm

Totally forgot about that Tino thing. You know what, there is no way that anyone is happier than I am that he is no longer a redbird. That guy was a disaster in my opinion. As for Kline, you're right. I love Kline's tough guy attitude, but any time he opens his mouth you know he's gonna offend someone. I really don't think he's a bad guy, he just can't shut up. Just look at the verbal battles last year with the Cubs, he said some really dumb stuff. Then there's Tony, he will always be a-hole. Okay, your bitterness is recognized. !+)
Nisly
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bell » Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:22 pm

Nisly wrote:Totally forgot about that Tino thing. You know what, there is no way that anyone is happier than I am that he is no longer a redbird. That guy was a disaster in my opinion. As for Kline, you're right. I love Kline's tough guy attitude, but any time he opens his mouth you know he's gonna offend someone. I really don't think he's a bad guy, he just can't shut up. Just look at the verbal battles last year with the Cubs, he said some really dumb stuff. Then there's Tony, he will always be a-hole. Okay, your bitterness is recognized. !+)

lol....I definitely have nothing against Cardinals fans. ;-D

Obviously our two teams don't have a "real" rivalry, but our matchups often seem to produce something noteworthy and I'll continue to look forward to our future series.
bell
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to St. Louis Cardinals