Carlos Zambrano from here on out: Discuss - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Carlos Zambrano from here on out: Discuss

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:38 pm

Young 8 wrote:
One-Hitter wrote:if you look, he started out the same way last year before catching fire so i'd say slow starter or warm weather pitcher.

26 april 2007
era 6.91
whip 1.79
k/9 7.57

26 april 2006
era 3.94
whip 1.21
k/9 10.01

yeah, same story............

This is taken a little out of context here. He didn't really pitch well last April. He had 3 good starts, and 3 pretty bad starts. The stats up to April 26 are a little misleading. They definately dont describe how bad he was actually pitching. He has two decent starts this month and 3 bad ones. One more good start and his era could look alot like last year. I do think he's pitching worse righ tnow than he did last year, but he definately wasn't pitching well last april...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:51 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
Young 8 wrote:
One-Hitter wrote:if you look, he started out the same way last year before catching fire so i'd say slow starter or warm weather pitcher.

26 april 2007
era 6.91
whip 1.79
k/9 7.57

26 april 2006
era 3.94
whip 1.21
k/9 10.01

This is taken a little out of context here. He didn't really pitch well last April. He had 3 good starts, and 3 pretty bad starts. The stats up to April 26 are a little misleading. They definately dont describe how bad he was actually pitching. He has two decent starts this month and 3 bad ones. One more good start and his era could look alot like last year. I do think he's pitching worse righ tnow than he did last year, but he definately wasn't pitching well last april...

How about this one.

Post All-Star break

3.92 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 98 K.

That is most likely the pitcher that Zambrano is this year in my opinion, his arm was abused and its starting to show. He's still valuable for the K's but I don't think this is just a slow start which is why I avoided him in every league.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 pm

Ender wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:
Young 8 wrote:

26 april 2007
era 6.91
whip 1.79
k/9 7.57

26 april 2006
era 3.94
whip 1.21
k/9 10.01

How about this one.

Post All-Star break

3.92 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 98 K.

That is most likely the pitcher that Zambrano is this year in my opinion, his arm was abused and its starting to show. He's still valuable for the K's but I don't think this is just a slow start which is why I avoided him in every league.

Ok so even if he finishes with an ERA under 4 and 100Ks that still means hes going to get better, considering his era is at 7 right now. I like that argument about all the innings. Zambrano could definately fall off this year given all the strain hes put on his arm, meaning he wouldn't play up to his draft position most likely. But still I think hes a good buy low, because you know that he wont finish with a 7 era, thats just ridiculous. If you drafted him, you might find yourself disappointed, but his owner in your league is getting fed up, send out a low-ball offer...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby mikhayl » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:14 pm

He'll be fine when it warms up. In the meantime, he's worth sticking as your utility hitter on days where he starts B-)
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bwanna » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:46 pm

mikhayl wrote:He'll be fine when it warms up. In the meantime, he's worth sticking as your utility hitter on days where he starts B-)

I wouldn't go that far. I'd start him against weaker opponents still. Vs Milwaulkee he out decent outing:

5.1 5h 2er 3b 7Ks ... and the win.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby Bwanna » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:47 pm

Bwanna wrote:
mikhayl wrote:He'll be fine when it warms up. In the meantime, he's worth sticking as your utility hitter on days where he starts B-)

I wouldn't go that far. I'd start him against weaker opponents still. Vs Milwaulkee he out decent outing:

5.1 5h 2er 3b 7Ks ... and the win.

Oops. Misread your statement. Heck yeah, I'd take his hitting stats every once in a while.
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby northjersey78 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:07 pm

I'm so glad I kept Oswalt in my league instead of Zambrano.
http://www.newyorksportstown.com

Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets, Rangers, Devils, Isanders, Knicks, Nets, Rutgers
northjersey78
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Young 8 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:13 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
Young 8 wrote:

26 april 2007
era 6.91
whip 1.79
k/9 7.57

26 april 2006
era 3.94
whip 1.21
k/9 10.01

yes usually he pitches bad in April but......1.79 whip after 5 starts ??

cmon....something is not right
Young 8
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dmville » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:51 pm

I don't think there's an injury involved. From watching he's just had pretty poor location, no real strong command of any of his pitches even in his good starts and leaving some pitches in the strikezone when he shouldn't. He's still got some heat and good breaking pitches, just can't put em where he wants.

Part of it may also be that Sweet Lou is a proponent of just throwing strikes and letting them hit em if they can. I think in the past Zambrano was going after K's more and not looking for contact. Of course without good command it's all meaningless anyhow.

I think he will come around.
Dmville
Dmville
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Zambrano

Postby WTP » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:36 pm

You wanna know why Zambrano is struggling so far this year?

His HR/FB is 28.8%. The last three seasons? 10.8%, 12.4%, 8.1%. Nearly three times as many fly balls are leaving the yard for Zambrano this year, and that's just bad luck.

He's still a dominant ground ball pitcher (56.5GB%) and is striking out hitters as a good rate. He'll turn it around. He's a high-ish WHIP pitcher that is giving up HRs like crazy, and man is it ugly, but he'll turn it around. Buy low.
Warning Track Power: Find me now at Crooked Pitch for keeper/dynasty focused info!
WTP
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers