Carlos Guillen: shoulder/back problems? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Carlos Guillen: shoulder/back problems?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Carlos Guillen: shoulder/back problems?

Postby The Big Train » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:28 am

CHICAGO – Carlos Guillen is not in the Detroit lineup tonight, but that doesn’t appear to be a cause for great alarm – right now, at least.

Guillen has experienced some soreness in his shoulder, although Tigers manager Jim Leyland expects Guillen to play on Thursday.

“It feels weak,” Guillen said. “It pinches me when I try to throw overhand. Sometimes, I feel it. Sometimes, I don’t.”

Guillen believes the discomfort is the result of a change in his arm slot. Guillen threw sidearm last year, and infield coach Rafael Belliard encouraged him to raise his arm angle, which would eliminate some of the sink on his throws to first.

Guillen now thinks he’s overcorrected his arm slot, to the point that he’s throwing too much over the top. Guillen will now try to throw at a three-quarters angle, which should minimize the shoulder pain.

Guillen said he feels “about the same” in the field now as he did last year, when he made a career-high 28 errors. He’s currently the Tigers’ team leader, with six errors.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 7/70425056

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Three errors in two games and six on the season have made once-steady shortstop Carlos Guillen a big concern for the Tigers.

Guillen's back-to-back errors in the first inning of Tuesday's 9-8, 10-inning loss blew up two potential double plays and helped the Angels to four runs.

Manager Jim Leyland was asked about Guillen's defense before the game, hours before Guillen first botched a ground ball then dropped starter Jeremy Bonderman's throw to second.

It has been no more his glove than his throws -- too many are bouncing in the dirt -- that have people wondering what happened to the Tigers' unofficial most valuable player.

"I think his back was bothering him a little," Leyland said, suggesting Guillen has been playing at less than 100 percent.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 004/SPORTS
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:03 am

:-? havent heard too much about this locally but he has been throwing a ton of balls in the dirt

doesnt sound like something that's affecting him at the plate though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:11 am

Changing your throwing motion after years of MLB service has really got to screw with your mechanics. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dweenmachine » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:01 pm

From Rotoworld:
Carlos Guillen was not in the starting lineup for Wednesday's game due to weakness in his right shoulder.

Omar Infante got the nod at shortstop. Guillen is expected back for Thursday's game.

So it looks like he'll play tonight, depending on the weather of course... So I'm assuming that it's nothing serious. ;-D
dweenmachine
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:29 pm

dweenmachine wrote:From Rotoworld:
Carlos Guillen was not in the starting lineup for Wednesday's game due to weakness in his right shoulder.

Omar Infante got the nod at shortstop. Guillen is expected back for Thursday's game.

So it looks like he'll play tonight, depending on the weather of course... So I'm assuming that it's nothing serious. ;-D

harden was also suposed to make his next start...
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:47 pm

well, at least he got an extra day off ;-D could use him healthy
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby chinst » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:04 pm

I think maybe someone did me the favor I asked for and beat the hell out of him for screwing Bonderman his last time out with those back to back E's...

Whoever it was, you have my gratitude.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates