Law school? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Law school?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:04 am

I don't know how much I agree with these guys. People from my class are in all kinds of industries. While almost all of them have "counsel" on their business cards I would say that about 35% are not practicing law. Once you become in-house counsel you can do anything.

Also exams are tough but the rest of the year is a breeze. Sure some people care about nothing except for grades but most people are laid back. See if you can do something out of the ordinary as well. I was able to do one year abroad and studied in the Netherlands and was able to apply all of the credits to my degree. That was fun.

btw - even though "pre-law" classes may help you get into law school when you are looking for a job something that makes you stick out is better. Take dance or music :-B anything that is different.
Image
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 19545
(Past Year: 280)
Joined: 17 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Hakuna, Montana

Postby The Balanced Man » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:58 am

Mookie4ever wrote:
Also exams are tough but the rest of the year is a breeze.



Mookie Brains > TBM Brains :-B
Image
The Balanced Man
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 237
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In the bleachers at the Jake...

Postby luckygehrig » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:16 am

Thanks TBM. I appreciate the insight. You're definitely not too late to be helpful. ;-D I do want to practice law, so I don't think I have to worry about the PhDs. I've heard about the bias by PhDs towards JD's before too, but it was helpful to know that you have experience with it as well.

Mooke4ever wrote:btw - even though "pre-law" classes may help you get into law school when you are looking for a job something that makes you stick out is better. Take dance or music dopey.gif anything that is different.
Is this true of the undergrad as well? My understanding was that once you get an idea of a type of law that interests you, you should tailor your upper level classes in law school towards that. When looking for a job will they really look at my undergrad work as much as my upper level classes?

Also, I've lived in Reno my entire life, and I'm pretty certain that I'd like to practice here. Anyone have any law schools on the West Coast that they would recommend? I haven't gotten too crazy at looking at schools yet, but so far I'm interested in the following:
-Reach Schools: Berkeley, Stanford
-Ballpark Schools (I think I will have the grades and hopefully the LSAT scores for these): Davis
-Safety Schools: McGeorge, Boyd (UNLV), Santa Clara
Any insight on any of these schools?

I was also wondering if I could get some info from those of you who have taken the LSAT. If you take the practice tests that you can find online or in practice books, is that score a fair representation of how you will do on the actual LSAT? Are the useful at all as a score projector? Or are they solely for practice?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I really do appreciate all of the insight that I'm getting. It's all very helpful and I can't thank you guys enough for it. :-D[/quote]
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1633
Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Nevada

Postby The Balanced Man » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:56 am

luckygehrig wrote:Thanks TBM. I appreciate the insight. You're definitely not too late to be helpful. ;-D I do want to practice law, so I don't think I have to worry about the PhDs. I've heard about the bias by PhDs towards JD's before too, but it was helpful to know that you have experience with it as well.

Mooke4ever wrote:btw - even though "pre-law" classes may help you get into law school when you are looking for a job something that makes you stick out is better. Take dance or music dopey.gif anything that is different.
Is this true of the undergrad as well? My understanding was that once you get an idea of a type of law that interests you, you should tailor your upper level classes in law school towards that. When looking for a job will they really look at my undergrad work as much as my upper level classes?

Also, I've lived in Reno my entire life, and I'm pretty certain that I'd like to practice here. Anyone have any law schools on the West Coast that they would recommend? I haven't gotten too crazy at looking at schools yet, but so far I'm interested in the following:
-Reach Schools: Berkeley, Stanford
-Ballpark Schools (I think I will have the grades and hopefully the LSAT scores for these): Davis
-Safety Schools: McGeorge, Boyd (UNLV), Santa Clara
Any insight on any of these schools?

I was also wondering if I could get some info from those of you who have taken the LSAT. If you take the practice tests that you can find online or in practice books, is that score a fair representation of how you will do on the actual LSAT? Are the useful at all as a score projector? Or are they solely for practice?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I really do appreciate all of the insight that I'm getting. It's all very helpful and I can't thank you guys enough for it. :-D
[/quote]

Classes
As for classes in undergrad, really any degree will do as long as you have good grades. Hell, there were dance majors and fashion majors in my class. Law schools don't really care what you took, they care about the numbers. GPA and LSAT. As for taking classes in law school, you should take classes in the areas you think you want to practice in, just to get a taste. However, my experience was that this showed me I really didn't want to practice in those areas. The thing that really steered me toward labor law is that I started out clerking for a labor law firm, and that experience got me into a Labor law firm for my first job, and those experience got me into the Department of Labor (cause I hated firm life). So I, and I believe many others, get pidgoen-holed very fast.

Location
If you want to practice in Nevada, I would definetly go to school in Nevada. Reasons - You will build your connections there, your degree has more clout there, you will be happiest where you will be happiest, and that's something in law school.

LSAT
I would 100% take the Kaplan or Princeton review course. You only get one shot at this, you don't want to flub it, so invest in your furure and do everything you can to pass with a high score the first time (cause if you take it more than once, they average your scores). The prep tests are generally on par to a little harder than the LSAT. Are they a fair representation of your score? All depends on who published the test. I would say they are more solely for practice. What you really want is to know the tricks the LSAT tries to play.
Image
The Balanced Man
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 237
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In the bleachers at the Jake...

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:03 am

You can lok at US News and World Report for rankings of th Law Schools in different areas
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Posts: 13448
(Past Year: 31)
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tampa

Postby luckygehrig » Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:28 am

Thanks TBM for the advice. As far as studying in Nevada, we only have 1 ABA approved law school, which is Boyd. From my understanding, it has some influence in Southern Nevada and it's finally starting to reach the northern part of the state where I live and think I would like to practice. I know a lot of the attorneys that I've met here have gone to California law schools, and there is definitely a network that comes from there. I completely understand your point about attending in state too, but I just don't think that Vegas is for me. I went there for my first semester of undergrad and didn't really fit in, and it doesn't particularly appeal to me for another 3 years. It's definitely a possibility, but I don't think that it's at the top of my list as of right now.


deerayfan072 wrote:You can lok at US News and World Report for rankings of th Law Schools in different areas

Yep. Bought that one along with the ABA bible. ;-D I'm just starting to flip through them so hopefully I'll start getting an idea of some West Coast schools that suit me.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1633
Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Nevada

Postby Laean » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:22 pm

major does not matter for law school. do what you want.

i took psychology in UCSD because i heard that it's more practical and it's kind of a scientific and law schools like that, but it was all pointless. now i wish i had just studied something that i would've enjoyed, like philosophy, history, or literature writing.

for LSAT prep, i'd recommend Testmasters. i think they are a step above both Kaplan and Princeton Review.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2595
Joined: 16 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ramble2 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:26 pm

luckygehrig wrote:
mikhayl wrote:
luckygehrig wrote:Thanks for all the tips guys. I don't know where I had gotten the idea that pre-law was viewed as a negative, so I definitely appreciate the input. I think I'm going to get out of undergrad with around a 3.8 GPA and hopefully a pretty solid LSAT. I've heard good things about those Kaplan classes before and I will have to look into the Symbolic Logic class. Is that like a critical thinking class? I've heard of it before, but I'm not at all familiar with it.


Symbolic logic is tough to explain. Basically you will learn the rules for drawing valid conclusions from a set of premises. It's not that difficult and it's pretty powerful.

Most importantly it allows you to fly through the games section of the LSAT and gives you the tools to get every question in the section correct.


Thanks. I just checked out our course catalog and they offer both an intro to symbolic logic and an intermediate class. I really appreciate the info. ;-D


Logic should be helpful for the LSAT. I haven't taken the LSAT, but I do teach Logic. It's fun, though can be tough. My students tend to really enjoy the material, and it's always the class I get my highest student evaluations in.

Here's an excellent online text logic text: http://tellerprimer.ucdavis.edu/

Volume 1 is something you may be able to work through yourself; Volume 2 is more difficult. If you sign up for a logic course at your school, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a look at Teller's text too. It'll give you an edge on everyone else in class!
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 2952
(Past Year: 5)
Joined: 27 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Salt Lake City

Postby luckygehrig » Tue May 01, 2007 1:09 am

Thanks guys. I'm going to try to work symbolic logic into my schedule here soon, seeing as it sound like it will help me out a lot.

Laean, thanks for the advice on undergrad. I'm glad that I got such a good response saying to "take whatever you want" because I was just a day or two away from changing majors. Thanks for all the help guys.

I was thinking earlier today that I had another question, but I can't seem to remember it, but if I do, I'll bump this thread up with it. Thanks again for all the advice! ;-D
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 1633
Joined: 26 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Nevada

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 30
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Oakland at Kansas City
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact