Myers has been converted from set-up role... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Myers has been converted from set-up role...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:57 pm

and i dont know how many times i have to defend the booing of santa claus. no event in sports history has been taken more out of context than that.

Well, the cheering for the Michael Irvin spinal injury is the signature moment for sparkling Philly crowd ethics. The booing of Santa Claus is more mentioned because it sounds funny.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shasty mcnasty » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:01 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:
exactly. i just can't see an argument for this move. Okay, so the phillies have won some games since the move was made, and maybe there's some psychological effect from a shakeup, but did the move itself, the actual baseball move, did that help the team win? And if it did, won't it catch on like wildfire? And if it does, why hasn't it before? You can put me squarely on record as thinking that this move is retarded, and that it will not help the team win in any kind of significant way this season. If i'm wrong, i'll be more than willing to admit it, but i'm pretty sure i've got every manager of every baseball team on my side with the exception of one...

Try being a Redskins fan and watching Brunell suck while Jason Campbell sat on the bench for the first half of the season. It sucks when coaches/managers are so stubborn as to miss something that's obvious enough for the rest of the world to see, but it's pretty clear that that's what's going on here.

i can only imagine....the skins are a train wreck...i never could understand why Brunell with his sack of puss for an arm could be starting over Campbell...but it's not just the coach in that situation, right? Seems like the entire thing is just off-course...seems like every year they try to trade away all their draft picks as fast as possible...
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:05 pm

Last year they were headed in the right direction personell-wise. We just wasted the beginning of the season believing in Mark Brunell. With a 2 headed monster at RB, a good young athletic QB, and the 6th pick in this draft, I see us taking a step forward this year.

All I meant was that I can't imagine a more frustrating situation for a fan than starting the crap train that was Mark Brunell.

At least if Myers finds his way back into a bigger role in a matter of weeks the season won't already be flushed down the toilet.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WhiteHot » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:08 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:Last year they were headed in the right direction personell-wise. We just wasted the beginning of the season believing in Mark Brunell. With a 2 headed monster at RB, a good young athletic QB, and the 6th pick in this draft, I see us taking a step forward this year.

Too bad that's your only 1st day pick. I see you guys in the basement again with another top 10 pick next year.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:20 pm

WhiteHot wrote:
CBMGreatOne wrote:Last year they were headed in the right direction personell-wise. We just wasted the beginning of the season believing in Mark Brunell. With a 2 headed monster at RB, a good young athletic QB, and the 6th pick in this draft, I see us taking a step forward this year.

Too bad that's your only 1st day pick. I see you guys in the basement again with another top 10 pick next year.

LOL, when you go there you practically beg me to turn this into a football thread. Sure there are a lot of things not to like, but we also have a lot of offensive weapons, besides honestly, what do you know?

BTW, Identify your team soldier. :-?

Oh wait, nevermind, you are a Philly fan. That explains the willingness to turn this into a football thread when a Skins fan pops up.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:29 pm

The reason the Phils are winning is not because their best (one could argue) pitcher is now the set-up man, mop-up man or whatever he is, it is because Chase Utley is 11-20 in the last 5 games. Add that to the fact that Howard is back and there you have it.
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:02 pm

Kingctb27 wrote:The reason the Phils are winning is not because their best (one could argue) pitcher is now the set-up man, mop-up man or whatever he is, it is because Chase Utley is 11-20 in the last 5 games. Add that to the fact that Howard is back and there you have it.

yeah but psychologically the Myers move made all the difference. ;-7
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:11 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:and i dont know how many times i have to defend the booing of santa claus. no event in sports history has been taken more out of context than that. :-t

I know the story. I know it's taken out of context and that there were other factors at play.

Maybe Phillies fans have a bad rap... but, I'm seen some of them first hand and lot can be pretty obnoxious. The knowledgeable ones aren't, but back when I would go see games at the Vet it seemed like a lot of guys went just to get drunk, yell profanities and throw stuff.

It's definitely gotten better with the new ballpark, but, ya gotta admit, Phillies fans in general can be pretty harsh.

Besides, I really just threw the Santa Claus reference in to make a joke :-b

im not saying the fans arent obnoxious at all. i think they definitely are. hell, i dont even think alot are knowledgable. but they are probably the most passionate (eagles, not so much phillies) and get a bad rap for alot of things. the cheering was for the big hit not the actual injury. and who wouldnt like to see an opposing team's best player leave the game. i know i would.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby great gretzky » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:26 pm

corection: eagles fans are knowledgeable. Very knowledgeable. They are also idiots, because they don't understand the game within the game. The vocal ones also seem to want to run McNabb out, which is dumb. As if you aren';t named brady or manning, its not like anyone else has a monopoly on his accomplishments.

As far as the phillies go, they aren't as knwoledgable as yankees, mets, or sox fans.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Coppermine » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:33 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:and i dont know how many times i have to defend the booing of santa claus. no event in sports history has been taken more out of context than that. :-t

I know the story. I know it's taken out of context and that there were other factors at play.

Maybe Phillies fans have a bad rap... but, I'm seen some of them first hand and lot can be pretty obnoxious. The knowledgeable ones aren't, but back when I would go see games at the Vet it seemed like a lot of guys went just to get drunk, yell profanities and throw stuff.

It's definitely gotten better with the new ballpark, but, ya gotta admit, Phillies fans in general can be pretty harsh.

Besides, I really just threw the Santa Claus reference in to make a joke :-b

im not saying the fans arent obnoxious at all. i think they definitely are. hell, i dont even think alot are knowledgable. but they are probably the most passionate (eagles, not so much phillies) and get a bad rap for alot of things. the cheering was for the big hit not the actual injury. and who wouldnt like to see an opposing team's best player leave the game. i know i would.

When an opposing pitcher is dominating and gets hit with a line drive and has to leave the game, I can't help but crack a smile. I wouldn't cheer though... in Philly, they would.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers