Myers has been converted from set-up role... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Myers has been converted from set-up role...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:18 pm

Bogey9906 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
That's impossible. For every action there is an equal reaction. Whether it's a lack of and a substitute, or Myers presence during a different part of the game, something has changed and is affecting the Phillies results. Considering Myers ERA before the switch, it's entirely possible they prevented runs from being scored on them by using him differently. There are also different metal effects on individual players, specifically starting pitchers, which could be at play as well.

Maybe a butterfly flapped its wings somewhere and that's why the Phillies are winning now!

Ah yes, 5th dimensional power theory applied to baseball. Hey if anyone here knows exactly what causes teams win each and every game they should get a job in the bigs. 162-0 seasons await you ;-D
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:38 pm

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Bogey9906 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
That's impossible. For every action there is an equal reaction. Whether it's a lack of and a substitute, or Myers presence during a different part of the game, something has changed and is affecting the Phillies results. Considering Myers ERA before the switch, it's entirely possible they prevented runs from being scored on them by using him differently. There are also different metal effects on individual players, specifically starting pitchers, which could be at play as well.

Maybe a butterfly flapped its wings somewhere and that's why the Phillies are winning now!

Ah yes, 5th dimensional power theory applied to baseball. Hey if anyone here knows exactly what causes teams win each and every game they should get a job in the bigs. 162-0 seasons await you ;-D

well certainly im not claiming that, but what i am claiming is that this particular move has not made the phillies a better team and this 5 game winning streak is not due to that move.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:40 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Bogey9906 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:

well certainly im not claiming that, but what i am claiming is that this particular move has not made the phillies a better team and this 5 game winning streak is not due to that move.

Seriously; every Phillies fan I know loves the moving Myers to the pen stuff. And somehow, it HAS worked. Lieber's pitching well as a starter, Gordon has some motivation to not suck and the fans aren't calling for Manuel's head on a stick as much anymore.

Next thing you know, they'll start throwing AA batteries instead of D-cells.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:42 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Bogey9906 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:

Seriously; every Phillies fan I know loves the moving Myers to the pen stuff. And somehow, it HAS worked. Lieber's pitching well as a starter, Gordon has some motivation to not suck and the fans aren't calling for Manuel's head on a stick as much anymore.

wow really? everyone i know was completely shocked about the move and think it was one of the worst baseball moves they've ever seen.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:43 pm

shasty mcnasty wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:
Amazing Oopah wrote:
SirDunkALot wrote:
Perhaps other teams should throw one of their best pitchers into MR and see if it gives them the same magic as the Phillies?

The Twins have lost 4 in a row... time to throw Santana into the bullpen ;-D

:-P :-P

yeah and if they won their next two games, that would definitely be the reason why they started winning, right?

exactly. i can't see how this move in particular can be credited for the phillies winning a couple games...there are so many variables...and if this was some kind of winning strategy, i'm pretty sure charlie manuel wouldn't have been the 1st to stumble upon it... :-b

Maybe all MLB managers need to take the same approach. If you are in a funk, then just remove your ace and put him in mop up duty.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:47 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Bogey9906 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:

wow really? everyone i know was completely shocked about the move and think it was one of the worst baseball moves they've ever seen.

See, many of the Phillies fans I know don't know a whole lot about baseball... but they KNOW they can manage the team better than just about anyone. Their justification was that they were happy Manuel did "something."

They also know how to complain about Pat Burrell, anything Charlie says and/or does and booing Santa Claus. Last i heard, Phillie fans are clamoring for Rollins to be moved up in the order, Victorino to lead off and for a golden retriever to play 3rd base base because, apparently, a dog can field better than Helms and hit better than Nunez.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby shasty mcnasty » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:47 pm

Yoda wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:
Amazing Oopah wrote:
SirDunkALot wrote:
Perhaps other teams should throw one of their best pitchers into MR and see if it gives them the same magic as the Phillies?

The Twins have lost 4 in a row... time to throw Santana into the bullpen ;-D

:-P :-P

yeah and if they won their next two games, that would definitely be the reason why they started winning, right?

exactly. i can't see how this move in particular can be credited for the phillies winning a couple games...there are so many variables...and if this was some kind of winning strategy, i'm pretty sure charlie manuel wouldn't have been the 1st to stumble upon it... :-b

Maybe all MLB managers need to take the same approach. If you are in a funk, then just remove your ace and put him in mop up duty.

exactly. i just can't see an argument for this move. Okay, so the phillies have won some games since the move was made, and maybe there's some psychological effect from a shakeup, but did the move itself, the actual baseball move, did that help the team win? And if it did, won't it catch on like wildfire? And if it does, why hasn't it before? You can put me squarely on record as thinking that this move is retarded, and that it will not help the team win in any kind of significant way this season. If i'm wrong, i'll be more than willing to admit it, but i'm pretty sure i've got every manager of every baseball team on my side with the exception of one... }:-)
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:51 pm

exactly. i just can't see an argument for this move. Okay, so the phillies have won some games since the move was made, and maybe there's some psychological effect from a shakeup, but did the move itself, the actual baseball move, did that help the team win? And if it did, won't it catch on like wildfire? And if it does, why hasn't it before? You can put me squarely on record as thinking that this move is retarded, and that it will not help the team win in any kind of significant way this season. If i'm wrong, i'll be more than willing to admit it, but i'm pretty sure i've got every manager of every baseball team on my side with the exception of one...

Try being a Redskins fan and watching Brunell suck while Jason Campbell sat on the bench for the first half of the season. It sucks when coaches/managers are so stubborn as to miss something that's obvious enough for the rest of the world to see, but it's pretty clear that that's what's going on here.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:52 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
Bogey9906 wrote:
Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:

See, many of the Phillies fans I know don't know a whole lot about baseball... but they KNOW they can manage the team better than just about anyone. Their justification was that they were happy Manuel did "something."

They also know how to complain about Pat Burrell, anything Charlie says and/or does and booing Santa Claus. Last i heard, Phillie fans are clamoring for Rollins to be moved up in the order, Victorino to lead off and for a golden retriever to play 3rd base base because, apparently, a dog can field better than Helms and hit better than Nunez.

i think you meant rollins down in the order, and yeah i think that could have been a better move as well if you hit victorino 1st, rowand 2nd, rollins 3rd, howard 4th, utley 5th...if jimmy wants to swing like a power hitter than put him in the power hitter's spot in the lineup. he obviously wont listen to anyone and for years he's been swinging the same way. it just so happens this year the ball has been going out of the park more. his avg will start to go down since he is trying to drive every pitch and then im sure the talk of jimmy not being a good leadoff hitter will come into play again (dont get me wrong, i love jimmy. hes a great player)

and i dont know how many times i have to defend the booing of santa claus. no event in sports history has been taken more out of context than that. :-t

SIGS!

Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Coppermine » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:56 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:and i dont know how many times i have to defend the booing of santa claus. no event in sports history has been taken more out of context than that. :-t

I know the story. I know it's taken out of context and that there were other factors at play.

Maybe Phillies fans have a bad rap... but, I'm seen some of them first hand and lot can be pretty obnoxious. The knowledgeable ones aren't, but back when I would go see games at the Vet it seemed like a lot of guys went just to get drunk, yell profanities and throw stuff.

It's definitely gotten better with the new ballpark, but, ya gotta admit, Phillies fans in general can be pretty harsh.

Besides, I really just threw the Santa Claus reference in to make a joke :-b
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers