Varitek's uniform - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Varitek's uniform

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:14 pm

rabbits wrote:Varitek's captain's C is the most ridiculous thing in baseball today. Look at me! Look at me! So sick of the Red Sox.

What's ridiculous about it? He is the leader of the team and is actually the anchor of the pitching staff. Seems like captain material to me. How is that saying look at me? You obviously just have it in for the Sox if that's your reasoning.

Inukchuk wrote:I got a kick out of Varitek's "C" because they gave it to him a few months after Jeter was appointed captain. If I recall, they tried to make a bigger deal out of it than it was. "Look, we're making Varitek a captain, too!" I kind of saw it as the Red Sox trying to "stay even" with New York...

Try more than a year later.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:49 pm

Oof, someone's a sensitive little Sox fan... sorry I was a little off... :-D
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:57 pm

rabbits wrote:Varitek's captain's C is the most ridiculous thing in baseball today. Look at me! Look at me! So sick of the Red Sox.

So you're sick of the Royals too? :-D
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:46 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Oof, someone's a sensitive little Sox fan... sorry I was a little off... :-D

Not sensitive, I just find it funny when people come into a thread and give false information to make their point.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:36 pm

I'm so sorry. I'll make sure I properly verify everything from now on. Is wikipedia an accepted source to put in my footnotes?

My point was, neither the Yankees nor the Red Sox had had a captain in quite some time. After an 8 year stint without a captain, Jeter was appointed on June 3, 2003 (per wikipedia, under "Derek Jeter").

A mere 18 months and 20 days later, the Red Sox ended an even longer captainless drought of 16 years by naming Jason Varitek captain (per Gordon Edes, writer, Boston Globe).

When comparing it to the length of time both clubs did not have captains, 18 months doesn't seem like a huge interval. I just found it odd that the Red Sox would decide to rekindle the tradition only a few months (and by a few, I mean 18) after the Yankees decided to do the same.

If I recall correctly, there was quite a bit of publicity about the appointing of Jeter as captain, due to the fact that the position was empty for 8 years (unfortunately, I do not have evidence to support this. Please don't get upset if there wasn't "quite a bit," as I said. There may or may not have been only "a bit.")

I also recall listening to WEEI and hearing the Boston radio station DJ's commenting on how Varitek's appointment seemed to be more of a "one up" on the Yankees, than a legitimate honor. Unfortunately, WEEI's website does not have transcripts of the actual broadcasts from 2004, so you'll have to take my word for it. If you can stomach it... [/b]
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby sportsaddict » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:41 pm

I've always thought the C on Varitek's uniform is pretty stupid and unnecessary, but if he wants to wear it, then what do I care. It doesn't really affect anything, even if it is a little unneeded.
"Oh, that Lankford and McGee, the trio of 'em. They're a one-man wrecking crew."

-Mike Shannon
sportsaddict
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers