100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Varitek's uniform

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SweetAurillia » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:55 pm

Coppermine wrote:
SweetAurillia wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:
SweetAurillia wrote:Oh... thanks. I assume its just a Red Sox thing as I didn't see anything like that on Jeter's uni.

Mark Sweeney also wears a "C" for the Royals.

Ahh I see. Thanks.

And the Yankees would never break from tradition and tarnish their uniforms. I think Rugh and Gehrig were also Yankees captains who never had a C on their uniforms. Just the way the Yankees do things.

I remember John Franco wore the C for the Mets a few years ago.

Another example is Konerko who is the White Sox captain but does not wear a C because they're organization just doesn't do that.

In hockey, you have 'C's and 'A's on the captain's and alternate captain's jerseys because if a coach can't get a referees attention he can't very well walk out onto the ice to go talk to the ref. This is where the coach can send his captain to tell the ref something or ask him a question. The 'C' on the shirt informs the referee that it is the captain of the team and therefore is allowed to ask the referee a question.

Very informative, thanks ;-D
SweetAurillia
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:11 pm

TN_Titans_05 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
SweetAurillia wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:
SweetAurillia wrote:Oh... thanks. I assume its just a Red Sox thing as I didn't see anything like that on Jeter's uni.

Ahh I see. Thanks.

And the Yankees would never break from tradition and tarnish their uniforms. I think Rugh and Gehrig were also Yankees captains who never had a C on their uniforms. Just the way the Yankees do things.

Another example is Konerko who is the White Sox captain but does not wear a C because they're organization just doesn't do that.

In hockey, you have 'C's and 'A's on the captain's and alternate captain's jerseys because if a coach can't get a referees attention he can't very well walk out onto the ice to go talk to the ref. This is where the coach can send his captain to tell the ref something or ask him a question. The 'C' on the shirt informs the referee that it is the captain of the team and therefore is allowed to ask the referee a question.

Love the subtle Sox bashing.... :-b

By subtle you mean non-existent?
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TN_Titans_05 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:43 pm

jbauer2485 wrote:
TN_Titans_05 wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
SweetAurillia wrote:
Mercer Boy wrote:

Ahh I see. Thanks.

Love the subtle Sox bashing.... :-b

By subtle you mean non-existent?

After reading it I can see it both ways....but coming from a Yanks fan i just figured he was jabbing at the Sox. Sorry there bauer not trying to stir the pot but mistakes like that happen when are reading someones comments instead of hearing them actually say it.
TN_Titans_05
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby luckygehrig » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:57 pm

I think it's pretty tacky looking myself. Especially since it doesn't really mean the same thing in baseball as it does in hockey. Anyone can talk to an umpire in baseball unlike in hockey (apparently. I don't really know that much about it, but that's what I got out of Cu's earlier post.).
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby cobbs87 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:01 am

Mercer Boy wrote:

Not to nitpick but it's Mike Sweeney on the Royals. Mark is on the Giants. You know the guy who gives amphetamines to Bonds :-? .
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby theclefe » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:18 am

My wife wants to get a Varitek jersey, but instead of the C, she wants to get an "S" for "sexy." I just shook my head.

It really is a token gesture, but it is one of those little things that fans love. Sweeney deserves a lot more... like wins... but a C should suffice.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby d18Mike » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:47 am

That's not what I heard.

I heard MLB made the teams put "Cs" on Sweeney and Varitek's uniform to indicate that they "Can't Hit Anymore."

They were required to put it there as a Public Service Announcement for fans so they don't get their hopes up. They also believe it will help reduce pitcher injuries as they know they don't have to bear down quite as hard when these guys limp to the plate.

The Tigers are being asked to have Sheffield wear one and the Rangers seamstress is centering one on Texiera's uniform as you read this.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Morrison8312 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:48 am

d18Mike wrote:That's not what I heard.

I heard MLB made the teams put "Cs" on Sweeney and Varitek's uniform to indicate that they "Can't Hit Anymore."

They were required to put it there as a Public Service Announcement for fans so they don't get their hopes up. They also believe it will help reduce pitcher injuries as they know they don't have to bear down quite as hard when these guys limp to the plate.

The Tigers are being asked to have Sheffield wear one and the Rangers seamstress is centering one on Texiera's uniform as you read this.

Tee hee hee :-P
Morrison8312
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rabbits » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:59 am

Varitek's captain's C is the most ridiculous thing in baseball today. Look at me! Look at me! So sick of the Red Sox.
rabbits
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Inukchuk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:41 pm

I got a kick out of Varitek's "C" because they gave it to him a few months after Jeter was appointed captain. If I recall, they tried to make a bigger deal out of it than it was. "Look, we're making Varitek a captain, too!" I kind of saw it as the Red Sox trying to "stay even" with New York...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers