Ben Sheets out of the game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ben Sheets out of the game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Don G. » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:51 pm

This doesn't sound that bad. Considering he finished the inning it probably just means that, with the weather, they were being precautious. The Cubs did the same thing with Soriano. Sucks that I didn't start Lilly this week though (or Sheets).
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SignGuy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:19 pm

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Players today are such wusses. What happened to guys like Mickey Mantle who played through six injuries and a hangover everyday?

The team's owner didnt have millions and millions of dollars invested into him.
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SignGuy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:22 pm

pasterofmuppets wrote:
SendHelp wrote:^ lol i finally get to take theriot off my bench and he injures sheets :-/

meh, sheets injured sheets !+)

Drafting Sheets was just as bad as drafting Brian Westbrook... hopefully Sheets will end up with good numbers in the end as well.

Brian Westbrook was like a top5-10 RB in my league :-?
SignGuy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Secret Avatar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:26 pm

Sounds precautionary but you never know. Note also that the game was delayed for hours (rain) and then Sheets took the mound in 40 degree weather. Very risky.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby pasterofmuppets » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:35 pm

SignGuy wrote:
pasterofmuppets wrote:
SendHelp wrote:^ lol i finally get to take theriot off my bench and he injures sheets :-/

meh, sheets injured sheets !+)

Drafting Sheets was just as bad as drafting Brian Westbrook... hopefully Sheets will end up with good numbers in the end as well.

Brian Westbrook was like a top5-10 RB in my league :-?

Yeah, he's also as much of an injury risk... he actually dropped to second round in all my leagues.
pasterofmuppets
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:30 pm

honestly the biggest thing that concerns me with Sheets is the awful strikeout numbers.

His second half was strong last year, and his injuries were bizarre. Since I got hitting early, I had a top 3 staff of D-K Sheets and Burnett, and their strikeout numbers have been weak.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby pangbones » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:54 am

I had to rewind the game to see what happened. I couldn't see anything obvious. As Hardy tossed the ball to Weeks to retire the side in the 3rd, I could see Sheets start to walk off the field and he kinda lifted his leg up for a second. Like he was stretching it out.

Hopefully he'll be ok and will only miss 1 or 2 starts!! :-o Since I already have Harden out, I need Ben healthy!! My worst nightmare is being realized. I have Harden, Sheets, and Kazmir. The all injured team!!

I too am worried about his lack of K's. I've seen 3 of his starts this year, and to me it looks like his curveball isn't biting as much as it needs to. His fastball was excellent today, but he couldn't put guys away with the curve like he normally does.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:37 am

pangbones wrote:I had to rewind the game to see what happened. I couldn't see anything obvious. As Hardy tossed the ball to Weeks to retire the side in the 3rd, I could see Sheets start to walk off the field and he kinda lifted his leg up for a second. Like he was stretching it out.

Hopefully he'll be ok and will only miss 1 or 2 starts!! :-o Since I already have Harden out, I need Ben healthy!! My worst nightmare is being realized. I have Harden, Sheets, and Kazmir. The all injured team!!

I too am worried about his lack of K's. I've seen 3 of his starts this year, and to me it looks like his curveball isn't biting as much as it needs to. His fastball was excellent today, but he couldn't put guys away with the curve like he normally does.

Last I checked, Kazmir wasn't injured (knock on wood).

Is there something I don't know, or are you just referring to the end of last year?
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby The Big Train » Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:23 am

Hoping the last part is true... :-o

CHICAGO -- Ben Sheets' manager and his pitching coach both said the Brewers right-hander made the right decision in coming out of Wednesday's 9-3 loss to the Cubs on a dismal day at Wrigley Field.
Sheets suffered a strained right groin after his final pitch of the third inning, and the Cubs went on to avert a three-game sweep and snap Milwaukee's four-game winning streak.

"Groins are something you don't mess with," said pitching coach Mike Maddux, who suffered two similar injuries during his own playing career. "Your upper half relies on your lower half. Benny is a thick-bodied guy, and his legs are his game. [Exiting] was absolutely the best thing he could have done right there. Don't give it a chance to go bad.

"Hopefully, it's an 'owie' that gets taken care of quick before it turns into an injury."

After a rain-delayed start and in 44-degree weather, Sheets worked three scoreless innings and surrendered four hits. He felt something "grab" at the top of his right leg when he spun and watched Derrek Lee's inning-ending groundout in the third inning, and Elmer Dessens quickly began throwing warm-up tosses in the bullpen while the Brewers went down in order in the top of the fourth.

Dessens surrendered five unearned runs in his only inning of work and took the loss. Sheets remained winless in four starts since a complete-game victory over the Dodgers on Opening Day.

"It was just bad timing for today," Sheets said. "It was bad timing for our bullpen, and to have a three-inning start, that really hurt."

Like Sheets, Maddux pulled the groin at the top of his right drive leg on two occasions. One of the pulls was minor and he tried to pitch through it, but the problem persisted.

Sheets said his own injury history contributed to the decision to call it a day. Back in August 2005, he felt a tweak behind his right shoulder in a game against the Braves, but "let it go" for one more pitch. Sheets tore his latissimus dorsi muscle on that curveball to Chipper Jones and missed the rest of 2005 and more than two months of 2006 with related injuries.

"There was really no sense in pushing through it and taking that chance right now, especially this early and with the weather as it was," Sheets said.

After fighting injuries for the last two years, does Sheets find himself asking, "Why me?"

"Naw, that kind of bums me out," he said.

Sheets' next scheduled start is Monday against St. Louis at Miller Park. Because Thursday is an off-day, should Sheets need to miss a turn in the rotation, the other four starters could pitch on regular four days' rest.

Brewers manager Ned Yost hopes to know more about Sheets' condition on Friday, when the Brewers open a series against the Astros at Minute Maid Park in Houston. The team is off Thursday.

"There's nothing I can do about it right now," said Yost, who was slow in packing up his belongings because of a cracked right collarbone he suffered on a jog the day before. "It's not something I'm going to stress about on the off-day. We'll wait and see."

Sheets stayed positive.

"I don't think it seems severe at all," he said. "I could see it coming down to two days, but what do I know? [The medical staffers] seem to think the same thing."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby gfantasy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:45 am

I just traded him for Street. Phewwww :-°
gfantasy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Web Supporter

PreviousNext