Sheets - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sheets

Postby Scooter1027 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:29 am

Yoda wrote:
schmidty wrote:Well, I live in Milwaukee, and Yost didn't sound too concerned in the post-game interview, telling everyone to calm down and that it was just a cramp. Of course that doesn't mean anything until more tests :-B

I think middle rounds for Sheets (10th at the earliest) sounds about right, still. Somebody'll probably reach for earlier than that, but if he dropped to me I'd still take him. He's still a completely different beast than Harden, who I won't touch unless it's as a last round flyer.

I think these injuries have a lot to do with make up as well. It seems to me that the organization is babying him and allowing him to take time off for every little thing wrong with his body. I am really unsure what happened to him since his break out year but mentally and physically he cannot hold up for an entire season.

Well, I don't know if the organization is necessarily babying him. He's been on the DL for a torn finger ligament (this year) and a torn back muscle (parts of the previous 2 years). Pulling him for cramps last night might appear to be babying, but from a manager's perspective, if he's going to be less effective b/c it hurts to push off and get his legs behind him, I wouldn't want him pitching. It's a pennant race and we have other options. It sounds as if he shouldn't miss a start, but we'll see I guess. In theory, he could get 2 more starts in, and that would give him 26 on the year. Do I wish he had more, yes, but 26 is still okay. Basically, to draft him, you have to say "would I be okay with him giving me 25-28 great starts and missing some time". I'd still draft him, but I'd temper my expectations.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:27 pm

I finally cut him loose in my keeper league today and felt great doing it. He really seems to have ZERO pain tolerance and he has been subpar to awful since he came back from his injury. Here are some comments from the fans in response to Sheets' injury:

http://blogs.jsonline.com/brewers/archi ... train.aspx
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby willy-t » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:02 am

I think Sheets is shopwing signs of become a guy who, not only will get injured frequestly, we've known that for years, but now seems a buit like his injuries have affected his play, even when healthy. He's put together a decent year in 141IP this year, but his K rate is way down, and ERA approaching 4.

I don;t want to write him off or anything - he's been great most of the year till his lat 10 starts, and he's always had talent, but I'd rather have somebody like a Dustin McGowan next year and I think he'll go later in most drafts.
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jfg » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:17 am

I think he'll fall farther than 100. He wasn't the same Sheets this year when he was healthy. He was still pretty good but owners aren't going to look at this years stats and draft him too early. It's not like previous years where he put up ace numbers when healthy, plus like Yoda said, he has been awful since coming back from the injury (although, that might cause some owners to think his first half was better than it actually was). I guess it depends on the format but I could see him falling to to 140-150.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 97)

Postby schmidty » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:54 am

Of course, that "just a cramp" has turned into a strained hamstring. And Sheets is being reported as very questionable for his Sunday start, with a distinct possibility of not making any more regular season starts.

I dropped him in my non-keeper. It's Championship round, and I can't put up with stuff like this. Especially when I can use that roster spot to pick up a low ERA/WHIP MR guy, or quality spot starts (Ian Kennedy was sitting on the FA list). I guess I can't be too upset - I traded away James Shields and Orlando Hudson (both FA pickups) for him mid-season. I thought I was robbing the other guy blind, but he probably turned out to be the winner of the deal
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers