100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sheets

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sheets

Postby JoeMoney19 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:54 pm

Scooter1027 wrote:
JoeMoney19 wrote:
Scooter1027 wrote:Obviously a slightly frustrating turn of events. It looks like it'll just be the 15 days and done, which is good. It's been a frustrating couple years of bad luck for Sheeter. A finger sprain like this could happen to anyone, regardless of injury history. It's the kind of thing that has the same odds of happening to a horse like Clemens as it would to a guy like Harden. As a Brewers fan, I'm just glad that it's A) nothing serious and B) unrelated to the one true injury he has suffered (back/shoulder). I almost wonder if they're just being conservative (and maybe post-season conscious) since they know they have a more-than-adequete fill in with Gallardo to give Sheets some time off.

hopefully, but the reports of a similar "pop" to zumaya's have me a little less optimistic

The MRI turned up negative. If it were the same something would have shown up I guess. That's what has everyone relatively optimisitc. On the plus side, we finally get to see Manny Parra. It wasn't too long ago that he was our #1 pitching prospect and injuries set him back significantly. Well, he's 24 now and has come all the way back to dominate AA and AAA (including a AAA perfect game). Left handed starters that throw as hard as he does are few and far between. I think he'll be taking Gallardo's long relief slot for now, but I can't wait to get a look at him.

I'm equally excited about Parra, he's about a bold a silver lining as possible for Sheets owners, even if just for a chance to see him up a little while...I wasn't aware of that about Sheets either, that's great news...I thought the additional tests tomorrow were supposed to determine whether it'd be a long-term injury or not...that the MRI would have revealed a Zumaya-esque injury is very comforting
JoeMoney19
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:12 pm

This guy is toast... His body clearly can no longer hold up for an entire season. What a shame because he was one of my favorite young pitchers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jfg » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:22 pm

I'm glad I had four 2-start pitchers this week in a 3 starter league. He's on my bench. He probably is going to kill a lot of owners in H2H championships since he was a 2-start.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Paws » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:51 pm

I put him on my do not draft list because everytime I have ownhim he has gotten hurt for long stretches. Although someone always drafts him in everyleague. ussually to high fo the amount of time he plays.
Paws
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby jfg » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:22 pm

Well, he wasn't bad the first half of the season. I drafted him in the 8th round and figured if I could get half a season from classic Sheets it would be worth it. We did get half a season and his WHIP and K's were very erratic, but he was a guy you could trust to put in your rotation. It wasn't "classic" Sheets but it was pretty good. But, to do the same next year he'd have to fall a lot farther. He probably will because that WHIP isn't enticing anyone anymore and another year with an injury will drop him more. So, if he falls far enough I'd definitely draft him even it is for only half a season.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby Paws » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:52 pm

Your probable right but it seemsike when ever I needed him most he would get hurt. How far do you think he will fall next year.
Paws
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:35 am

Paws wrote:Your probable right but it seemsike when ever I needed him most he would get hurt. How far do you think he will fall next year.

I would think if he is healthy in Spring Training, he will still go around 100 overall. I'm just burned out from 3 years in a row. Not worth the headache for me.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:59 am

Yoda wrote: I'm just burned out from 3 years in a row. Not worth the headache for me.

Yeah I just feel the same way about Rich Harden. I just don't care about him anymore....hopefully the A's don't either.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby schmidty » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:17 am

Well, I live in Milwaukee, and Yost didn't sound too concerned in the post-game interview, telling everyone to calm down and that it was just a cramp. Of course that doesn't mean anything until more tests :-B

I think middle rounds for Sheets (10th at the earliest) sounds about right, still. Somebody'll probably reach for earlier than that, but if he dropped to me I'd still take him. He's still a completely different beast than Harden, who I won't touch unless it's as a last round flyer.
schmidty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:57 am

schmidty wrote:Well, I live in Milwaukee, and Yost didn't sound too concerned in the post-game interview, telling everyone to calm down and that it was just a cramp. Of course that doesn't mean anything until more tests :-B

I think middle rounds for Sheets (10th at the earliest) sounds about right, still. Somebody'll probably reach for earlier than that, but if he dropped to me I'd still take him. He's still a completely different beast than Harden, who I won't touch unless it's as a last round flyer.

I think these injuries have a lot to do with make up as well. It seems to me that the organization is babying him and allowing him to take time off for every little thing wrong with his body. I am really unsure what happened to him since his break out year but mentally and physically he cannot hold up for an entire season.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers