Nobody loves comeback veterans (Sosa, Green, Etc)...Why? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Nobody loves comeback veterans (Sosa, Green, Etc)...Why?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby benjapage » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:03 pm

hot4tx wrote: No need to proclaim him a stud just because it's happening early in the year.

Ride him as long as you can/want to and if I were in a deep NL-only league he'd already be picked up... but he's 35, has a .283 career batting average, and hasn't been a very fantasy-usable in 5 years.

His .340+ average and all the stats going with us are very, very unlikely to last.

not calling anyone a stud. pointing out that a) there's a nice streak happening, and b) no one seems to care/notice, and lastly c) not too long ago, he was considered among the elite, and d) he's in a situation where he might actually bounce back.

not making predictions. i'm out of that business, now, but i'm noticing. thought someone might see some value in it.

there's even more negativity surrounding this guy than i'd presumed. i figured it was just indifference, but wow. and sheesh.

everyone, get back in your boxes, now.

rawr,

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:29 pm

Green is definitely viable in an NL-only. Heck he's basically carrying my team and giving me at least some of the production I should be getting from Pujols. Don't mind whitehot. He's an emotional Phils fan. Mostly harmless. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby benjapage » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:23 pm

not to beat a dead horse, but...

...sammy sosa hit his 5th and 6th homers this season. nobody's excited about him?

b
yeah, yes...
benjapage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:03 pm

benjapage wrote:
hot4tx wrote: No need to proclaim him a stud just because it's happening early in the year.

Ride him as long as you can/want to and if I were in a deep NL-only league he'd already be picked up... but he's 35, has a .283 career batting average, and hasn't been a very fantasy-usable in 5 years.

His .340+ average and all the stats going with us are very, very unlikely to last.

not calling anyone a stud. pointing out that a) there's a nice streak happening, and b) no one seems to care/notice, and lastly c) not too long ago, he was considered among the elite, and d) he's in a situation where he might actually bounce back.

not making predictions. i'm out of that business, now, but i'm noticing. thought someone might see some value in it.

there's even more negativity surrounding this guy than i'd presumed. i figured it was just indifference, but wow. and sheesh.

everyone, get back in your boxes, now.

rawr,

b

People get excited about young players more than veterans because young players can actually improve. Green has a ton of stats piled up for reference. Once a player has enough ABs or seasons to establish valid career averages, he's not gonna stray away from them too much. Past performance is the best predictor of future performance, and Green hasn't been a great player since '02.

Is he riding a hot streak now? yes, so good for him. If you want to pick him up go ahead, but the reason no one talks about it is that no one thinks Green can continue doing so. If you don't have Green on your team already, it means you haven't see any of that .351 13 RBI stat line. It means you're betting on Shawn Green to continue this kind of success, which is not realistic. There's better options out there who project to do more over the course of the season.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:08 pm

benjapage wrote:not to beat a dead horse, but...

...sammy sosa hit his 5th and 6th homers this season. nobody's excited about him?

b

I have him in 2 of my 4 leagues, and if not for wrs, would've been 3 of my 4 leagues. I'm definitely pulling for, and excited about Slammin' Sammy. :-° ;-D B-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 360)

Postby hot4tx » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:16 pm

Agreed. The reason there's not much talk is because his current play is not considered anything but a hot streak. Again definitely no shame in riding hot streaks (see: Thames, Marcus 2006) but most of the discussion that goes on here involves guys we hope can help our team in the long run or guys we hope will break out.

There's just that little chance that some rookie or diamond in the rough is the next Pujols or Hanley Ramirez. That's whay feeds the hype machine.

benjapage wrote:everyone, get back in your boxes, now.

... and that was hilarity. ;-D
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby Pablo975 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:36 pm

I have Sammy and am digging the power surge. I doubt he does more than .260, 30HR and 80 RBI, but I'll take those numbers when I can squeeze him in.

"Ya'll are brutalizing me!" - Ronwell Dobbs
Pablo975
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby LukeW9027 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:41 pm

Because as a Cub fan I dislike Sammy Sosa, and his time in the spotlight is over with. Time to move on.
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Laean » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:45 pm

green isn't going to keep this up.

sosa, i think could be 35 100 .250.

luke, seems to me whether he's in the spotlight or not will be up to him and his performance. if he makes a 35 100 .250 comeback, ESPN will be talking about him to death like they did daisuke a little while ago (i was getting so sick of it).
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:59 pm

benjapage wrote:not to beat a dead horse, but...

b

Wish I'd taken him in the late second instead of Teixeira. :-[
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers