Watch out Superman! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Watch out Superman!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Watch out Superman!

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:26 pm

This is pretty cool they just found a new mineral with the exact same composition as "Kryptonite" from the Superman Movies.

A new mineral whose composition almost exactly matches that of Superman-felling kryptonite has been unearthed in Serbia by mining company Rio Tinto. The mineral was identified by researchers at the Natural History Museum, and Canada's National Research Council.

Mike Rumsey, mineral curator at the Natural History Museum, explains that when the team had worked out the structure of the mineral, sodium lithium boron silicate hydroxide, they typed it into Google to see whether anyone had classified it already.

The first link returned by the search engine was to a Wikipedia entry on kryptonite, specifically a label on a box of kryptonite in the movie Superman Returns.

He says it was very exciting because very few new minerals are discovered - between 30 and 40 every year.

However, because the mineral is actually nothing to do with Krypton, it can't be called kryptonite. International nomenclature rules are strict, and the substance will officially be called Jadarite. As well as missing out on its showbiz name, the mineral is not a radioactive green crystal, but a rather ordinary looking white powdery substance.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/04/24 ... ite_found/
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:42 pm

30 or 40 minerals are discovered a year? That alone amazes me. You would think that with all of the digging and scientific exploration done on Earth that we would have at least found MOST of the minerals by now.

The kryptonite thing is cool though.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:39 pm

Coppermine wrote:30 or 40 minerals are discovered a year? That alone amazes me. You would think that with all of the digging and scientific exploration done on Earth that we would have at least found MOST of the minerals by now.

God made a pretty big world. You'd think science would have given us all the answers by now, but maybe there's more.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:00 pm

Coppermine wrote:30 or 40 minerals are discovered a year? That alone amazes me. You would think that with all of the digging and scientific exploration done on Earth that we would have at least found MOST of the minerals by now.

I'd say there's still tons and tons of things we could discover at the bottom of the oceans, and under them. To my knowledge (which means I could be wrong), we still haven't really been able to do much exploration down there.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:40 pm

Madison wrote:

I'd say there's still tons and tons of things we could discover at the bottom of the oceans, and under them. To my knowledge (which means I could be wrong), we still haven't really been able to do much exploration down there.

Yes! which reminds me of this Planet Earth documentary they're running on Discover... has anyone caught any of this? It's absolutely amazing.
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby GiantsFan14 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:38 pm

it just came out on HD-DVD and i ordered it from amazon, i cant wait...it looks so awesome
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby Nberan » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:49 pm

That mini-series rocked
Nberan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:22 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Madison wrote:

Yes! which reminds me of this Planet Earth documentary they're running on Discover... has anyone caught any of this? It's absolutely amazing.

We've caught some of them. It's amazing that it took them something like 4 constant years of filming to get it done. 8-o
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:28 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Madison wrote:

We've caught some of them. It's amazing that it took them something like 4 constant years of filming to get it done. 8-o

5!
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:29 pm

Coppermine wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
Coppermine wrote:
Madison wrote:

5!

Yeah, that's some crazy dedication right there. :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to General Talk