Tips on hanging dry wall - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Tips on hanging dry wall

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tips on hanging dry wall

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:04 pm

I've never hung dry wall before. You guys have any tips for me?
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:16 pm

If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:35 pm

just one...get someone who know's what they're doing to help you ;-7

i've never done it all by myself, but it's pretty basic (screw it to your wall studs and fill in the seams, get some special stuff for corners) but getting it to look nice is the hard part. i think seams where it meets the ceiling suck too

i'm not exactly Bob Villa though either so maybe it's easier than i think :-B
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:56 pm

Easy to hang, tough to finish. You are better off getting somebody that knows how to help you. As far as hanging it, it is basically putting it on the wall and nailing it in. The fun comes when you start taping the corners and mudding it. :-° You are going to get real dirty fast, and frustrated when you realize that after mudding that it is still not level enough and you have to mud some more.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:57 am

Hanging it is one thing. It's a matter of leveling it, making sure it's even, and screwing it into the studs. For the taping, however, I strongly recommend hiring somebody or else it could really turn out looking bad.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby TheRock » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:13 am

You'll want at least one friend with you, more if you're doing the ceiling. While you can cover up a lot of rough edges, seams, holes, etc (mistakes) with mud and tape, the better you can make the fit, the less mudding you have to do.

Plan on lots of mud when finishing. A normal sized room would take a couple of gallons, buy a 5 gallon bucket to be safe. If you've never mudded you might get some help with it or find a book or video. You'll need at the very least a 4 inch knife for taping and initial coats, and a 8 or 10 inch knife for the finish coat.

For sanding, that dust will get everywhere. You'll want to hang some plastic to keep it out of other rooms. Get a couple good dust masks, and if you use a vacuum at all to clean up, there are special bags you can buy as that stuff will tear up your vacuum cleaner. You can use a sponge, but I've never been able to get quite as smooth that way. For rough sanding it would be fine. Sanding sponges (the dry kind) work better than the mesh sheets IMO. Don't even try regular sandpaper.

Painting, especially with any amount of glossiness, even an eggshell, will bring out any roughness at all in your finish work. I hold a lamp or worklight at various angles along the wall to see areas that need more sanding. Plan on it taking 3 or more coats of mud if you want a real smooth finish. Hope you're not in a hurry. You can help with the appearance by using a flat paint if possible. If it's a kitchen, bathroom, hallway or kid's room don't do that. You can also cover up a great many mistakes by using a wall texture. Plus then you get to rent a texture gun and shoot the stuff all over your walls.

Good luck. ;-D
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 6)

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:38 am

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm starting this Friday night.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:56 am

chadlincoln wrote:Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm starting this Friday night.

good luck. i'd say buy alot of beer but i'm pretty sure you dont drink ;-)
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:59 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm starting this Friday night.

good luck. i'd say buy alot of beer but i'm pretty sure you dont drink ;-)

I would not buy the beer until it saw time to sand. You want to be as normal as you can while hanging and mudding. :-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigken117 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:28 am

raiders_umpire wrote:Easy to hang, tough to finish. You are better off getting somebody that knows how to help you. As far as hanging it, it is basically putting it on the wall and nailing it in. The fun comes when you start taping the corners and mudding it. :-° You are going to get real dirty fast, and frustrated when you realize that after mudding that it is still not level enough and you have to mud some more.

I hope that's a Carolinian expression for using 1 1/4" drywall screws.

You will definitely need someone's help when doing the ceilings. Walls are pretty easy to do by yourself.
If you're doing an entire room and you need to trim a piece to fit, put the cut edge at the corner. Having factory edges as your seams is the easiest because you know they are mostly square.
Be careful when carrying/handling the drywall. A 4'x8' piece can be awkward, and if it hits the ground, especially a corner, it can get ugly.
Hanging it is the easy part. Taping and mudding is the tougher. You're supposed to start with a 4" blade and the mud, sand. Water down the mud a bit and use a 8" blade. Sand when dried. Then water it even further and use a 12" blade. Sand when dry. Paint. Enjoy.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Next

Return to General Talk