Griffey? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Griffey?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Griffey?

Postby Arlo » Thu May 09, 2002 2:48 pm

I know we have a couple Reds fans among the Cafe regulars, and one visitor used "tradeGriffeytodamets" as a name.

What's your feeling on the whole Griffey-Cincy situation? A recent poll by a newspaper said that a majority of Reds fans is in favor of going with a Dunn-Kearns-Encarnacion outfield, and letting Junior ride the pine.

Is Junior overrated? Just getting a bad rap in the media? A cancer in the clubhouse, as a couple former Reds said? Still one of the best in the league?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Chicago » Thu May 09, 2002 4:04 pm

I, being a Reds fan, would equate the situation to Jason Giambi of the Yankees. The expecations are very high, and he's a highly paid player, so when he underperforms, he's going to get a little ribbing.

Cincinnati fans are no where as rude or jaded as NYC baseball fans--we wouldn't boo Junior for slumping for a month, hell, he slumped for the first half of his first season with the Reds and we cheered louder than ever we were so glad to have him--but Griffey's injuries the past two seasons, and his seeming lack of heart on the field have lit a small fire. But I would say it's more of Griffey's public reaction to the negativity that's made it an issue.

Do we want to Griffey to leave? No way, we actually love him too much. He's Cincy born and raised, and his dad was a star of the Big Red Machine. So he's not going anywhere from a fans point of view, but that doesn't say much for the GM, Jim Bowden, a notorious wheeler dealer. We just want the the gold glove Griffey who hits 50+ HR's and drives in 120+, and everything else, even the complaints about loafing to 1st base on pop flies and grounders, will disappear.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby EugeneStyles » Thu May 09, 2002 8:11 pm

Yeah, it's a little rough that you're the best centerfielder in the league one year, and a couple years later there's no place in the outfield to put you. Personally, I'd like to see Encarnacion go when Griffey comes back, but that's mostly because I have Kearns and Griffey (to go along with Sosa and Patterson) in one of my leagues. And Dunn doesn't look like he's going anywhere.

Look for the Reds to try and trade Encarnacion, maybe for some pitching. Although if they can deal Griffey for an ace starter, I wouldn't put it past them.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Arlo » Fri May 10, 2002 4:25 am

I agree that Encarnacion is the one most likely to be traded - a move that would seem to work for the Reds at this time. The question is: to who? The primary rumors I've been hearing involve Cleveland, but I haven't heard a scenario yet that would make sense for Cleveland.

At the moment, it's hard to picture very many teams giving up a starter for Encarnacion unless Cincy adds a prospect or two. A deal for a middle reliever might be more realistic. Encarnacion for Esteban Yan, for instance, might benefit both sides (note: this isn't a rumor I've heard yet, just an example).

Definitely an interesting situation. And if I were an Encarnacion owner in an NL-only league, I'd be pretty worried right about now.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Chicago » Fri May 10, 2002 1:34 pm

This is totally a guess, but Jim Bowden (Reds GM) does a lot of deals with the Yankees, and I've heard the Yankees were looking into Cliff Floyd. So a trade to the Yankees is a possibility. Looks like the Yankees might need to buy their way into another championship race again this year.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Fri May 10, 2002 2:52 pm

I haven't heard this one, but it seems to make a lot of sense. While we're speculating, any ideas on who the Yankees might offer?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Chicago » Fri May 10, 2002 7:59 pm

Keep in mind that I actually haven't heard anything about this, it's purely my own speculation. But past trades involving the Reds and the Yankees involve Reds giving up starting veterans for Yankee prospects like Drew Henson, who was a Yankee, then a Red, now a Yankee again thanks to all the wheelin' dealing' between the clubs.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Fri May 10, 2002 8:23 pm

Hmmm. It's certainly not impossible, especially given that history. I think the Reds will certainly look at a large number of options here.

And speaking of rumors, has anybody else heard that Kearns might theoretically be moved to 3rd? My sense is that this idea started (and will end) with the media - has anybody heard anything that might indicate that this could actually happen?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby EugeneStyles » Fri May 10, 2002 9:42 pm

Well, with Aaron Boone hardly tearing things up at the plate, that certainly seems like an attractive option. If it was the Cardinals, I'd say they'd do it in a heartbeat. Heck, they've got guys playing all over the place on that team. The Reds seem to be a little bit more conservative, but I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see our boy Austin at the hot corner.

Truth is, that whole Reds infield has been generally unproductive. Sean Casey's average is up, but he's got little power so far this year, and the trio of Boone/Larkin/Walker has been cold, cold, cold. Boone's career numbers aren't really anything special at a power-heavy position (he's pretty much a .280-15-50 kind of hitter), so it seems to make sense from a hitting perspective. I have no idea what kind of glove Kearns has, but if he can field the position, I would say, why not? Course, there's a reason I'm not the manager of the Cinncinati Reds...
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Chicago » Sat May 11, 2002 3:05 am

Um, EugeneStyles, I noticed you're a Cubs fan cause of your logo, but are you a Reds fan too? I'm a Reds fan and part Cubs fan--I live near Wrigley so I'm required to be.

I moved to Chicago from Cincy, so that's how that happened. Kind of weird to be fans of two teams in same division, but Reds get the overriding vote for me.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers