Evan Longoria's arrival and is third his spot - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Evan Longoria's arrival and is third his spot

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Evan Longoria's arrival and is third his spot

Postby houstonoilers » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:01 am

I thought this guy would have started in AAA instead of AA. He is batting around .303 with 3 dingers and 6 doubles in 19 games. He is 21 with huge potential but with Knocky Aki locking up the 3rd base spot and Upton at 2nd...... can this guy play SS and when?

drays - you might know best, i guess
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Evan Longoria's arrival and is third his spot

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:26 am

houstonoilers wrote:I thought this guy would have started in AAA instead of AA. He is batting around .303 with 3 dingers and 6 doubles in 19 games. He is 21 with huge potential but with Knocky Aki locking up the 3rd base spot and Upton at 2nd...... can this guy play SS and when?

drays - you might know best, i guess

I think he does have the ability to play SS, but there is a guy named Reid Brignac that will probably hold that spot down for many years for the Drays. I imagine Evan will be in AAA by summer time, and I think there will be a huge battle in spring training next between Longoria and Iwamura for the starting 3rd base spot. Iwamura can play 3 or 4 different positions as well, so he might very well become a the super utility player that Upton was rumored to become this season.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby houstonoilers » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:31 am

thanks raiders
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby High Heater » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:13 pm

i'm telling you this right now the top 1-2-3-4 prospects at the begining of next years 100's barring call-ups will be

Longoria
Brignac
Maybin
Martinez

Longoria and Brig's are looking top 10 for sure. i think Longoria has the projection and talent to be next years new #1 with Gordon and Young out of the way. he's showing plus contact plus power and good BB/k ratios in the early going of AA.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby ChipperJonesFanatic » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:55 pm

I'm telling you, you're wrong :-b

I think it will be Jay Bruce. I think Longoria will be top five though. I think Longoria/Iwamura will move to second. I see Baldelli/Crawford being traded to make room for Upton to go to the OF.

September call-up next year at the latest is my guess. I don't think the Rays want to start his clock right away.
Member #4 Of "The Official Zack Greinke Fan Club"
ChipperJonesFanatic
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby King Tim » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:04 pm

ChipperJonesFanatic wrote:I'm telling you, you're wrong :-b

I think it will be Jay Bruce. I think Longoria will be top five though. I think Longoria/Iwamura will move to second. I see Baldelli/Crawford being traded to make room for Upton to go to the OF. .

They won't deal Crawford

1. He is a stud
2. He gave the rays a hometown discount on a long term deal
King Tim
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:39 am

King Tim wrote:

I think it will be Jay Bruce. I think Longoria will be top five though. I think Longoria/Iwamura will move to second. I see Baldelli/Crawford being traded to make room for Upton to go to the OF. .

They won't deal Crawford

1. He is a stud
2. He gave the rays a hometown discount on a long term deal

You are right CC isn't going anywhere.

Longoria will be in AAA by Midsummer as will Reid. I think Evan will move to 2B with Aki staying at 3B. Aki is one of the best defenders i have ever seen.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)

Postby jbones733 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:16 pm

i pray every night they move Longoria to 2nd base (having him in my minor roster on 2 teams)
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby High Heater » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:32 pm

I think it will be Jay Bruce. I think Longoria will be top five though. I think Longoria/Iwamura will move to second. I see Baldelli/Crawford being traded to make room for Upton to go to the OF.

September call-up next year at the latest is my guess. I don't think the Rays want to start his clock right away.

really cant argue with that but on most lists i see Longoria slightly ahead of Bruce and he's also playing in a higher league (AA) we'll see though both are excellent prospects
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby oakiedragon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:50 am

OK. First Longoria reached AAA last year less then 6mo. after being drafted. He is at AA because it offers him the best opportunity to continue learning 3b at a higher competition level and also gives him room for advancement without having to promote him to the bigs. Iwamura was signed to play 3b for this year only while Longoria was groomed for the position. Iwamura is a very capable defender who can play 3b, 2b, and OF with no problem whatsoever. With Upton having his usual troubles in the IF they are already saying he will need to be moved to the OF, which opens 2b for Iwamura next season and Longoria takes over 3b. Iwamura is injured for about 4-6 weeks now as well which might prompt a early call up as well considering Longoria's success so far and his pedigree. SS is being held for Reid Brignac when he is capable of taking it, which appears to be next year. Which is another reason why Longoria may have started at AA, so that he could build rapport with Brignac who he will be spending many years in the IF with. But Longoria will not move from 3b, he is very capable at the spot and Iwamura is able to shift. Hopefully this helps to clear some of the confusion up.
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball