Roger Ebert update - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Roger Ebert update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Roger Ebert update

Postby Members Only Jackets » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:29 am

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/3550 ... 24.article

Sad news....not sure if anyone saw this...
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:39 am

I had no idea. Best wishes.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:55 am

My God. That brought tears to my eyes. It's inspiring to see he's in such great spirits about everything he's been through. What's he's doing takes tremendous strength.
Dr. Duran Duran
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafecasterTrivia Time Trial Champion
Home Cafe: Football

Postby activechamp2006 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:56 am

That takes some courage.. It takes a big person to do something like that. best wishes to him.
activechamp2006
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:33 am

I love Roger Ebert. He's the only film critic ever to win a Pulitzer for criticism and he deserves it. He's funny, smart, and engaging.

If you ever have the chance to read some of his reviews, do so. They read like short stories. Lester Bangs moved by movies. Good stuff.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:15 am

Never really paid attention to the critics, but that's an interesting story, and glad to see he won't let the gossip rags or anything stop him from doing what he wants to do. Best wishes. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:52 am

I've known he was ill for some time. Ebert has been my favorite critic for ages, and I usually read his reviews if I'm waffling on whether or not to see a movie. He shoots straight, he is not in the pocket of any of the film companies, and his tastes tend to jive with mine.

It's too bad that he's suffering from cancer, but in our lives we'll all be touched by cancer whether it's ourselves or a loved one. It's something you have to deal with, and I'm glad to see that he's dealing with it so well.

I hope he keeps writing reviews for years and years. I'll keep reading them, that's for sure. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:17 am

I've been wanting to pick up a copy of "Your Movie Sucks" by Roger Ebert. That's such an awesome title.

From Roger's review of Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (0 stars): "The movie created a spot of controversy in February 2005. According to a story by Larry Carroll of MTV News, Rob Schneider took offense when Patrick Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times listed this year's Best Picture nominees and wrote that they were 'ignored, unloved, and turned down flat by most of the same studios that . . . bankroll hundreds of sequels, including a follow-up to Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, a film that was sadly overlooked at Oscar time because apparently nobody had the foresight to invent a category for Best Running Penis Joke Delivered by a Third-Rate Comic.'

"Schneider retaliated by attacking Goldstein in full-page ads in Daily Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. In an open letter to Goldstein, Schneider wrote: 'Well, Mr. Goldstein, I decided to do some research to find out what awards you have won. I went online and found that you have won nothing. Absolutely nothing. No journalistic awards of any kind. . . . Maybe you didn't win a Pulitzer Prize because they haven't invented a category for Best Third-Rate, Unfunny Pompous Reporter Who's Never Been Acknowledged by His Peers. . . .'

"Schneider was nominated for a 2000 Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor, but lost to Jar-Jar Binks. But Schneider is correct, and Patrick Goldstein has not yet won a Pulitzer Prize. Therefore, Goldstein is not qualified to complain that Columbia financed Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo while passing on the opportunity to participate in Million Dollar Baby, Ray, The Aviator, Sideways, and Finding Neverland. As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks."
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby statsman88 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:26 am

I always liked watching his reviews, he is very good on camera and is a smart and witty guy. I am glad to hear that he is in good spirits. I too hope he keeps up the reviews ;-D
"Let's Keep The Friendly Confines Friendly" - Ernie Banks
statsman88
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby knapplc » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:34 am

Coppermine wrote:I've been wanting to pick up a copy of "Your Movie Sucks" by Roger Ebert. That's such an awesome title.

From Roger's review of Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (0 stars): "The movie created a spot of controversy in February 2005. According to a story by Larry Carroll of MTV News, Rob Schneider took offense when Patrick Goldstein of the Los Angeles Times listed this year's Best Picture nominees and wrote that they were 'ignored, unloved, and turned down flat by most of the same studios that . . . bankroll hundreds of sequels, including a follow-up to Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, a film that was sadly overlooked at Oscar time because apparently nobody had the foresight to invent a category for Best Running Penis Joke Delivered by a Third-Rate Comic.'

"Schneider retaliated by attacking Goldstein in full-page ads in Daily Variety and the Hollywood Reporter. In an open letter to Goldstein, Schneider wrote: 'Well, Mr. Goldstein, I decided to do some research to find out what awards you have won. I went online and found that you have won nothing. Absolutely nothing. No journalistic awards of any kind. . . . Maybe you didn't win a Pulitzer Prize because they haven't invented a category for Best Third-Rate, Unfunny Pompous Reporter Who's Never Been Acknowledged by His Peers. . . .'

"Schneider was nominated for a 2000 Razzie Award for Worst Supporting Actor, but lost to Jar-Jar Binks. But Schneider is correct, and Patrick Goldstein has not yet won a Pulitzer Prize. Therefore, Goldstein is not qualified to complain that Columbia financed Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo while passing on the opportunity to participate in Million Dollar Baby, Ray, The Aviator, Sideways, and Finding Neverland. As chance would have it, I have won the Pulitzer Prize, and so I am qualified. Speaking in my official capacity as a Pulitzer Prize winner, Mr. Schneider, your movie sucks."

That's awesome! ! !

Yet more proof of Ebert's genius. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk