Kazmir Velocity? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Kazmir Velocity?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby cwrtlm » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:15 am

Sounds to me like someone is trying to start some crap on Kazmir in order to convince some people he is hurt. I think Kazmir is looking better than ever this year.
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Triad » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:48 pm

ok guys, I watched the game again on MLB.TV, he was consistently 87-89 with his fastball, no better. He hit Jeter with an 88mph fastball not 91 as MLB.com suggested. I’m concerned coz, even though the result looked good, his stuff did NOT improve. He still has trouble with his off-speed pitches and the velocity on his fastball is still down, same as in his previous outings. In the 6th Abreu grounded into a DP on a 2-0 slider……at the time he threw 81 pitches 44 strikes 37 balls.
The stuff about his leg drive and flug bug are some of the explanations offered by the commentators, I did NOT invent them.

Guys, learn how to go deeper than just the stats……
The Triad
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Boyakasha » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:59 pm

dude, don't start scolding people to go deeper than stats. you're the one that's freaking out, and you're going to start freaking others out. i'm blaming rotoworld for all of this because of their little blurb. you need to relax.
radar guns vary. i watched that game on the yes network and saw kaz consistently in the 91-93 range, which is normal for him. i've also watched every single other start he's had this year, and plenty of his starts the last couple years. so far this year, he's been a little off with his command and i wish he'd pitch a little more to contact, but he's looked good, otherwise. that stretch he had against toronto was nasty.
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:32 pm

The Triad wrote:ok guys, I watched the game again on MLB.TV, he was consistently 87-89 with his fastball, no better. He hit Jeter with an 88mph fastball not 91 as MLB.com suggested. I’m concerned coz, even though the result looked good, his stuff did NOT improve. He still has trouble with his off-speed pitches and the velocity on his fastball is still down, same as in his previous outings. In the 6th Abreu grounded into a DP on a 2-0 slider……at the time he threw 81 pitches 44 strikes 37 balls.
The stuff about his leg drive and flug bug are some of the explanations offered by the commentators, I did NOT invent them.

well he is fine.
reading into the stats or just not being an idiot can tell you that.
he played a great game against a great team.
his stuff is always nasty and always good.
he has never been one to throw over 94 but he has pulled it out before.
and as for his off speed stuff? he throws slider fastball change up, its not like he had a hanging curve the whole game...
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby The Triad » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:17 pm

jlm53089 wrote:
The Triad wrote:ok guys, I watched the game again on MLB.TV, he was consistently 87-89 with his fastball, no better. He hit Jeter with an 88mph fastball not 91 as MLB.com suggested. I’m concerned coz, even though the result looked good, his stuff did NOT improve. He still has trouble with his off-speed pitches and the velocity on his fastball is still down, same as in his previous outings. In the 6th Abreu grounded into a DP on a 2-0 slider……at the time he threw 81 pitches 44 strikes 37 balls.

well he is fine.
reading into the stats or just not being an idiot can tell you that.
he played a great game against a great team.
his stuff is always nasty and always good.
he has never been one to throw over 94 but he has pulled it out before.
and as for his off speed stuff? he throws slider fastball change up, its not like he had a hanging curve the whole game...

jlm53089 you are a MORON.
If you wanna argue, bring some concrete stuff other than those general statements.
Have you watched any game lately........
And I dont think the radar gun was wrong, coz Wang was hitting regularly 94-97 mph, which is very good for a sinkerballer.
The Triad
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:47 pm

Triad, you should probably chill with the insults.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:52 pm

Chill out you guys or I'll have to intervene, and you don't want that.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby tf77 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:43 pm

I also watched the game on mlb.tv and among other pitches the fastball inside to Abreu (?) in the first inning clocked at 91 for example.

Radar guns are about angles. Wang is a rightie, Kazmir is a leftie and that's why release points are a couple of feet apart, so it's definitely possible, that the gun is accurate on a rightie, but is a mile or two off on a leftie as also evidenced by the gun on YES
tf77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jlm53089 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:12 pm

actually i have seen kazmir pitch live plenty of times.
and while watching the game he hit 90-93 at least 20 times.
and he has always been there.
and if he was hit by the bug maddon would of never let him go out there. and he is perfectly fine.
slider is sick always was.
and you will see when he pitches again in a few days.
90-93 fastball all day.
87 slider
and around a 82 change...
and even though his fastball isnt "fast" for a major leaguer, it starts out slow out of the hand then picks up on its way to the plate.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby stukarudel » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:35 pm

I have watched Kazmir a few times (one of my favorite pitchers) and his comfort zone seems to go from 88-91. With the life on his fastball, he doesn't need to put even more strain on his arm by bringing everything he has. I am pretty sure that the Devil Rays have worked with him to stay in that comfort zone because of his high pitch counts.
stukarudel
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates