Stock Investment - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Stock Investment

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:16 pm

Ed4252 wrote:Thanks for everyone's response. So individual stocks wouldn't be a good idea even if it's only a portion of my portfolio like 30-50%??

thats mostly right. theres nothing wrong with holding individual stocks if you are holding quite a few of them (something like 30+). holding 5 isnt going to get you sufficient diversification so it generally isnt a strategy for long-term investing. its OK to have some carefully selected individual stocks to complement your other mutual fund holdings. i dont know what % is optimal for you but i would think something significantly less that 30-50%.

Is there a way to evaluate mutual funds based on how much risk/growth they will have?

talk to your broker or if you are doing it yourself check out sites like motley fool (fool.com).

http://www.fool.com/mutualfunds/mutualf ... ?source=LN
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ed4252 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:42 pm

Talked to a financial advisor today at Fidelity today and boy am I confused after it.

I'm a young investor so I don't have much to begin with. With $4,000 to work with he suggested the following:

75% ETFs/Mutual Funds (pick 3-4) - have 20% of that go into international ETFs?

25% into individual stocks -with only $1000, how many individual stocks should I buy and how to diversify?
Ed4252
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:49 pm

Ed4252 wrote:Talked to a financial advisor today at Fidelity today and boy am I confused after it.

I'm a young investor so I don't have much to begin with. With $4,000 to work with he suggested the following:

25% into individual stocks -with only $1000, how many individual stocks should I buy and how to diversify?
Again, check out the CGM Focus Fund. Look at the track record over the past few years. I have money there and I'm very happy with it. It is riskier though. Not many stocks in the fund and he goes in and out a lot.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby RugbyD » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:01 am

Ed4252 wrote:Talked to a financial advisor today at Fidelity today and boy am I confused after it.

if you are going to do mutual funds, make sure they are no-load.

if you can put your $4k to work without having to tap into it, set up a Roth IRA.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Field » Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:37 pm

If your investing for retirement, set up a roth IRA through your employer like RugbyD said and then watch the magic of compounding returns go to work for you. I would put a certain percentage of your wages into the fund every month, even if its only $50 its worth it. If you're looking at a more medium-term horizon, I would consider putting some money into a more aggressive/growth oriented fund that Fidelity or any other brokerage firm offers. You take on more risk, but you also earn greater returns.

Hope that helped! If the Fidelity advisor didn't really help you that much or confused you, I would definitely try somewhere else. Its really important that you understand what they are doing with your money and how they are investing it.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby CheeseBeger » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:41 pm

Yeah I opened a Roth IRA at Vanguard.com, I think it costs something like $10 / year, and there are no fees on the Vanguard funds.
2010 H2HWS Champion - Cleveland Clams
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby 5 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:47 pm

For young investors, Roth is the way to go IMO.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Coppermine » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:56 pm

5 wrote:For young investors, Roth is the way to go IMO.

My buddy is a financial adviser and he's told me the same thing. Between the growth possibilities, the relative low risk and tax benefits, it's by far the best if you're starting out.

I'm about ready to pull my 401(k) and invest completely in a Roth. Then again, my a-hole employer doesn't match either.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:56 pm

Coppermine wrote:
5 wrote:For young investors, Roth is the way to go IMO.

My buddy is a financial adviser and he's told me the same thing. Between the growth possibilities, the relative low risk and tax benefits, it's by far the best if you're starting out.

I'm about ready to pull my 401(k) and invest completely in a Roth. Then again, my a-hole employer doesn't match either.

if your employer doesn't match, there's no reason to do the 401 if a Roth is useful for you tax-wise unless you know you are going to hit your annual contribution limit for the IRA. If so then you put the extra in the 401.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Previous

Return to General Talk