"Mom, they said I have to work my way up" - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

"Mom, they said I have to work my way up"

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:37 am

I had a GF that I was serious with. We had talked about marriage but weren't yet engaged. She worked PT for my Mom's company. She wanted to quit and did it via a voicemail message at midnight to her work VM knowing that my Mom wouldn't be there at the time. Needless to say, we didn't last much longer. :-t
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:56 am

I see this quite a bit as well. I will have quite a few parents ask me if I am hiring because their kid needs a job. I always fire back with the same line, "I am always looking good help but does your kid need a job or do you want your kid to have a job?" If the parent says the kid needs a job, I will tell the parent to get the kid to come in and see me. But if the parent says, "I want him to have a job", and I always reply we are not hiring right now. Nothing worse in my experiences then having a teenager that does not want to work, working with the public. :-°
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:40 pm

Time to cut the cord.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby madmikey » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:43 pm

There are a lot of kids at my school who threaten to get their parents involved if something isn't going their way. I'm all for asking my mom and dad for advice on a situation but I think I would be too embarassed to show my face if they actually called up a professor to complain. Not to mention I would not be the person I am now if I didn't know how to stick up for myself and manage my own life.
madmikey
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:50 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Time to cut the cord.

Guerilla radio
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby 5 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:30 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Time to cut the cord.

Giddyup...but that happens later and later these days...it's the wussification of children.
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dca5627 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:37 pm

I'm 22 and a senior in college about to graduate.. I understand the point about parents being over protective with their kids and wanting the best but this is going a little far ey? I have a buddy that lives 2 hours away and sends his parents his assignments and papers for them to write and they do it ! Gladly! and then when he brags about his 3.5 gpa .. i'm like hmmm.. your mom's gpa you mean.

On the other hand of this topic.. There needs to be some class or program to teach these graduates how to handle The real world....
dca5627
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:05 pm

I had an employee whose dad owned the place we were working in and the kid simply did not know how to work. He would be very receptive and gladly agree to take on a job, but I'd check the job later and it's almost as if he went out of his way to do it wrong. Unbelievable. He's driving a Cobra his dad bought him, but doesn't know a thing about real life.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:40 pm

dca5627 wrote:On the other hand of this topic.. There needs to be some class or program to teach these graduates how to handle The real world....

What's to learn? Work your butt off and do the best job you can, so that you get paid. Use that money to pay bills. Use whatever is left over as wisely as possible. Not that hard. :-b

Seriously though, how does one pass the age of 16 with no clue how to survive in the real world? Even the thought of that happening is both scary and amazing.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:43 pm

Not to stray from the topic and certainly not to disrespect the victims, but has anyone wondered why the only VTech hero, that we know of, was 84 years old?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk