I'm a happy traitor - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

I'm a happy traitor

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ironman » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:17 pm

knapplc wrote:
josebach wrote:Aren't you much more limited as to what you can do with Macs as far as customizing appearence is concerned? Maybe I'm wrong.

This is a misconception. Macs can run every single kind of software you want. It used to be true that you had to go further in your search of that software, but with the proliferation of online software outlets it's pretty easy to get whatever you want for your Mac.

I use Microsoft Office - especially Excel - for all of my fantasy sports needs, and I have seamless transfer between home and office for these spreadsheets.

I even use a Microsoft four-button trackball mouse, the same one, at both work and home.

So while you would have been right about the limited availability of software for Macs in years past, today that is no longer true.

I've got Open Office for Mac and it works fine. I also use Firefox on Mac.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby josebach » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:22 am

knapplc wrote:
josebach wrote:Aren't you much more limited as to what you can do with Macs as far as customizing appearence is concerned? Maybe I'm wrong.

This is a misconception. Macs can run every single kind of software you want. It used to be true that you had to go further in your search of that software, but with the proliferation of online software outlets it's pretty easy to get whatever you want for your Mac.

I use Microsoft Office - especially Excel - for all of my fantasy sports needs, and I have seamless transfer between home and office for these spreadsheets.

I even use a Microsoft four-button trackball mouse, the same one, at both work and home.

So while you would have been right about the limited availability of software for Macs in years past, today that is no longer true.

You quoted a comment about appearance and started talking about software. Did you mean to?

As far as Macs being able to run any kind of software.... that's not in any way remotely true. Even if you don't count gaming software (which the last time we talked about this, 8 out of 10 of the top rated games at Gamespot weren't available for Macs), there is an uncountable number of proprietary applications that are only written for PC and windows. This isn't actually anything I need to even prove. All you have to do is go to any store or website that sells software and see for yourself. And yes, I realize you can buy Windows for Mac and run some PC only software on Intel Macs, but you can't run applications from both operating systems simultaneously. You also have to split your hard drive to accomodate for it and learning how to manage both operating systems is supposedly quite complicated. Not only that, why would people incur this extra cost when Macs are already considerably more expensive than PCs to begin with?

Anyway, it's really quite silly to suggest that Macs are better than PCs in every way. If that was the case, they'd have more than 3% market share worldwide.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:17 am

josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:

You quoted a comment about appearance and started talking about software. Did you mean to?

If you want to talk specifically about how the case looks that's a matter of aesthetics. If a person is buying a computer for just how it looks then they probably don't know much about computers.

josebach wrote:As far as Macs being able to run any kind of software.... that's not in any way remotely true. Even if you don't count gaming software (which the last time we talked about this, 8 out of 10 of the top rated games at Gamespot weren't available for Macs), there is an uncountable number of proprietary applications that are only written for PC and windows. This isn't actually anything I need to even prove. All you have to do is go to any store or website that sells software and see for yourself. And yes, I realize you can buy Windows for Mac and run some PC only software on Intel Macs, but you can't run applications from both operating systems simultaneously. You also have to split your hard drive to accomodate for it and learning how to manage both operating systems is supposedly quite complicated. Not only that, why would people incur this extra cost when Macs are already considerably more expensive than PCs to begin with?

Anyway, it's really quite silly to suggest that Macs are better than PCs in every way. If that was the case, they'd have more than 3% market share worldwide.

Nobody is saying that Macs are better than PCs in every way, nor is anyone saying the opposite. As for proprietary software, there is proprietary software written for Mac that PCs can't run, so what's your point?

And simply because a product has a larger market share, that doesn't make it better. Betamax was far and away superior to VHS, but Beta went the way of the Dodo and VHS VCRs are everywhere today. It's as much about marketing as anything else.

I suppose if you're just playing games that you would want to buy a PC. That's true.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby josebach » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:32 am

knapplc wrote:As for proprietary software, there is proprietary software written for Mac that PCs can't run, so what's your point?

What's my point? That's like comparing my private book collection to Barnes and Noble. What's my point? :-b

Whatever... at least PC users are willing to admit Macs do some things better. Gaming... that's it? I guess 97% of the rest of the world including a HUGE majority of businesses chose to go PC because they're so un-enlightened. It's no wonder Mac users have the reputation they do.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby knapplc » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:08 pm

josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:As for proprietary software, there is proprietary software written for Mac that PCs can't run, so what's your point?

What's my point? That's like comparing my private book collection to Barnes and Noble. What's my point? :-b

Whatever... at least PC users are willing to admit Macs do some things better. Gaming... that's it? I guess 97% of the rest of the world including a HUGE majority of businesses chose to go PC because they're so un-enlightened. It's no wonder Mac users have the reputation they do.

Same old Jose. Good to see things don't change. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby josebach » Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:17 pm

knapplc wrote:
josebach wrote:

Same old Jose. Good to see things don't change. ;-D

Don't you have some moral judgement to pass on someone over in Football GT? Still have your handful of cronies? They'll figure you out soon enough. By the PMs I received when I left, a LOT of them already have... including some mods. :-b
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk