Which Catching prospect will be up first? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Which Catching prospect will be up first?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Which Catching prospect will be up first?

Postby CT Smash » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:53 pm

While some of the young catchers are off to hot starts (Mauer, McCann, Martin, etc.) others are really struggling (Iannetta, Paulino, Napoli, Navarro, etc.)

Those in deep leagues that start 2 catchers are carrying some serious dead weight with some of these guys.

Does anyone have any insight or opinion as to which catching prospect we may see first?

Mathis? Clement? Saltalamacchia? The last two may need a position change or trade in order to reach the bigs - is there anyone else?

Thanks!
CT Smash
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:22 pm

Salty and Clement are far and away the best catching prospects in baseball. Unfortunatly they are both blocked. Clement might eventually come up as a catcher, however Salty won't, barring injury to McCann he is blocked for the next four or so years.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby nathan050904 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:17 pm

Salty will either be traded or will switch positions but, I can guarentee you it won't be 4 years till he makes his MLB debut. He is having a bounce back season in AA
nathan050904
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Which Catching prospect will be up first?

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:01 pm

CT Smash wrote:While some of the young catchers are off to hot starts (Mauer, McCann, Martin, etc.) others are really struggling (Iannetta, Paulino, Napoli, Navarro, etc.)

Those in deep leagues that start 2 catchers are carrying some serious dead weight with some of these guys.

Does anyone have any insight or opinion as to which catching prospect we may see first?

Mathis? Clement? Saltalamacchia? The last two may need a position change or trade in order to reach the bigs - is there anyone else?

Thanks!

Salty will have to be traded to get up to the bigs in a full time role. I would imagine he will be a part of a Braves trade this summer to improve their pitching in some sort. Or possibly part of a trade for a center fielder if Andruw leaves this offseason.

Clement is blocked right now as well with Johjima in front of him.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby reiser » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:34 pm

raiders_umpire wrote: Salty will have to be traded to get up to the bigs in a full time role. I would imagine he will be a part of a Braves trade this summer to improve their pitching in some sort. Or possibly part of a trade for a center fielder if Andruw leaves this offseason.

I think Salty comes up and McCann goes to first. Perhaps I'm alone on this, but if the Braves start struggling offensively, I think it's on the table. I don't see how they can keep McCann out of the lineup now.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby oakiedragon » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:55 am

Mccann will stay at C. He is the superior C between him and Salty. Salty if he stays with Atl. will move to the OF. But Mccann is the better C and when he signed his 4 yr deal with Atl. this offseason he was garunteed he would remain at C. Salty is very possible a big trade bait piece if Atl. can stay in contention this season. With Andruw Jones as good as gone next season Atl. will want to trade to improve if they have a shot this year.
oakiedragon
College Coach
College Coach

Postby High Heater » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:54 am

oakiedragon wrote:Mccann will stay at C. He is the superior C between him and Salty. Salty if he stays with Atl. will move to the OF. But Mccann is the better C and when he signed his 4 yr deal with Atl. this offseason he was garunteed he would remain at C. Salty is very possible a big trade bait piece if Atl. can stay in contention this season. With Andruw Jones as good as gone next season Atl. will want to trade to improve if they have a shot this year.

agreed mccanns defense is alot better then salty's.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby reiser » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:17 am

oakiedragon wrote:Mccann will stay at C. He is the superior C between him and Salty. Salty if he stays with Atl. will move to the OF. But Mccann is the better C and when he signed his 4 yr deal with Atl. this offseason he was garunteed he would remain at C. Salty is very possible a big trade bait piece if Atl. can stay in contention this season. With Andruw Jones as good as gone next season Atl. will want to trade to improve if they have a shot this year.

that's interesting info, thanks. i did notice he seemed to give the braves quite a hometown discount.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby qqqsimmons » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:35 pm

kurt suzuki is a catcher for the a's who may start next year...
qqqsimmons
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby dmendro » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:31 am

raiders_umpire wrote:Salty will have to be traded to get up to the bigs in a full time role. I would imagine he will be a part of a Braves trade this summer to improve their pitching in some sort. Or possibly part of a trade for a center fielder if Andruw leaves this offseason.

Clement is blocked right now as well with Johjima in front of him.

I would say that since McCann is under contract, which is a sweet contract for the club (totally back loaded and has a point system that could make the 2012 year a team option if he fails to perform) he is actually the better trade bait. The Braves have a history of bringing up young hitters and letting high priced players go elsewhere in a trade. McCann's contract for the next 3 years is really cheap, but gets pricey after that. Makes him a good candidate to be traded to make room for Salty.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball