"Tinker to Evers to Chance."
Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,
Tinker and Evers and Chance.
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,
Making a Giant hit into a double.
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:

1910 Franklin Pierce Adams

I am sure that we have all heard the poem before but it bears hearing again from time to time.

There have been a couple of threads about baseball magazines to buy to get ready for the upcoming season. Myself, I will read my favourite baseball book, a collection of short stories: The Dixon Cornbelt League by W.P. Kinsella this weekend to get into the mood before settling down to analyze the numbers and get ready for my drafts.

The numbers are so much more enjoyable when you can picture Shoeless Joe or our friends Tinker, Evers and Chance instead of staring at a black and white of Rotoman.

Does anybody else have any suggestions for baseball books to read - it's a long time before first pitch and it is -24C in Toronto - I need some help.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:00 am

Why not combine Tinker to Evers to Chance with Kinsella and read The Iowa Baseball Confederacy? As a whole, it might not be his strongest work (ok, it flat out isn't), but there are some great moments in there.

Incidentally, we're at work on a series of baseball book reviews for the near future - stay tuned... :-)
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Sun Jan 11, 2004 10:32 am

Could you tell me what books you will be reviewing - maybe I'll get a head start on them - that way I'll be able to disagree with the reviews more quickly :-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby grammysboy » Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:17 pm

Saw a deal on the Antiques Road Show this week that said Tinker and Evers dispised each other. They apparently had a fight over a trivial bill for something. They didn't speak for 30 years. I'm sure others are more familiar with the story than me, I thought it was interesting that two-thirds of one of the most famous double play combinations in the history of the game didn't have that "chemistry" that we talk about being so important in the game.
grammysboy
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Re:

Postby thedude » Sun May 10, 2009 10:28 am

grammysboy wrote:Saw a deal on the Antiques Road Show this week that said Tinker and Evers dispised each other. They apparently had a fight over a trivial bill for something. They didn't speak for 30 years. I'm sure others are more familiar with the story than me, I thought it was interesting that two-thirds of one of the most famous double play combinations in the history of the game didn't have that "chemistry" that we talk about being so important in the game.

That was an argument over cab fare, which eventually escalated into a fist fight on the field. After that they wouldn't talk to each other any longer. That happened in 1905. In 1938 (33 years later) they were both invited to broadcast a world series game with knowing the other party would be there. After an awkward moment of silence they made up.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 90)

Re: Tinker to Evers to Chance

Postby Ruby Tues. » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:50 am

Mookie4ever wrote:These are the saddest of possible words:
Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,
Tinker and Evers and Chance.
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,
Making a Giant hit into a double.
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:

1910 Franklin Pierce Adams

I am sure that we have all heard the poem before but it bears hearing again from time to time.

There have been a couple of threads about baseball magazines to buy to get ready for the upcoming season. Myself, I will read my favourite baseball book, a collection of short stories: The Dixon Cornbelt League by W.P. Kinsella this weekend to get into the mood before settling down to analyze the numbers and get ready for my drafts.

The numbers are so much more enjoyable when you can picture Shoeless Joe or our friends Tinker, Evers and Chance instead of staring at a black and white of Rotoman.

Does anybody else have any suggestions for baseball books to read - it's a long time before first pitch and it is -24C in Toronto - I need some help.

One book that I love reading over and over is " Glory of Their Times"...it's a book about ballplayers in the early 1900's. Alot of first hand accounts of Honus, Cobb, Crawford and more. Great book.
Ruby Tues.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Baseball History