Brett Myers to close for the Phils? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brett Myers to close for the Phils?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby beezer » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:53 am

There is no doubt Manuel should be fired. Moving Myers to the pen is an absolute joke, even if he is put in the closer's role. MYERS IS THEIR ACE. He made good strides the last two years and to just pull him out of the rotation is certifiable. Trevor Hoffman is struggling, maybe they should make Peavy the closer. Mariano is struggling, maybe they should move Wang to closer. Borowski is also struggling, C.C. would make a good closer!

Manuel will be fired soon, ownership has to wonder what the hell he is doing. Myers will be back in the rotation within a month or two.
"I feel the need. The need for speed!"
beezer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RawTalent » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:43 pm

beezer wrote: Mariano is struggling, maybe they should move Wang to closer.

Manuel will be fired soon, ownership has to wonder what the hell he is doing. Myers will be back in the rotation within a month or two.

I love the fact that Wang is considered the Yankees ace. What a joke.

Seriously though, Philly fans have been clamoring for years to fire Manuel. It's not gonna happen, especially since they've won something like 7 games straight (not due to Manuel, obviously, but the management don't notice).

I've said this before, as long as Manuel is in there, Myers will not return to the starting rotation. Even if he does, he's been screwed this year because to switch from a starter to a reliever and back to a starter is a sure way to find yourself on the DL.
RawTalent
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cwrtlm » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:50 pm

What about a team in need of starting pitching that would trade for Myers? I can think of atleast one team that is looking for some help in that department! ;-)
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jtbarr » Tue May 01, 2007 1:07 pm

RawTalent wrote:I love the fact that Wang is considered the Yankees ace. What a joke.

19-6 with a 3.63 ERA pitching in the same division as Boston and Toronto shouldn't be considered ace?

That productivity is equal to or better than other 2006 aces like Zambrano, Verlander, Schilling, Peavy, Smoltz and others. The guy doesn't strike out many but that only matters to fantasy geeks like you and me.
jtbarr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Tue May 01, 2007 1:18 pm

Wang is a solid real-life pitcher (his lack of Ks and bad K/BB ratio make him a pretty weak fantasy pitcher) but I don't really think he's an ace either. His numbers are solid across the board (1.31 WHIP, 3.65 ERA) but not great. And he doesn't have overpowering stuff. He induces a lot of groundballs with his sinker and doesn't strike out many batters. He's more of a #2 or #3 starter on a good staff. Like Derek Lowe when he was with the Red Sox...
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NewYorkMets7 » Tue May 01, 2007 3:26 pm

call me crazy but when u win 19 games
in that kind of division..

I think your an ace, jack ;-)
NewYorkMets7
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chris_dubyuh » Tue May 01, 2007 3:42 pm

NewYorkMets7 wrote:call me crazy but when u win 19 games

Yeah, if you're not pitching for the Yankees or the Red Sox.
chris_dubyuh
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle Eye

Postby jswede » Tue May 01, 2007 4:06 pm

NewYorkMets7 wrote:call me crazy but when u win 19 games

3.63era, 1.31whip, 76k, 52bb in 218 innings last year. The only thing that even looks remotely "ace"-like is the era - but even that doesn't put him in the top 25 for last year.

The 19 W's may have something to do with the Yanks' #1 offense last year - 60 runs ahead of #2 Cleveland.
jswede
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates