Brett Myers to close for the Phils? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brett Myers to close for the Phils?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:36 pm

Yes, I agree. Taking a two or three start and two or three appearance sample size for Myers clearly proves that he is a better reliever than starter. And worrying about Gordon not cutting it this early also makes more sense than I could ever muster. Let's forget the fact that he has converted 4 out of his last 5 save chances, and hasn't looked any shakier during the FIRST HALF of the FIRST MONTH of the season than any other RP not named Papelbon.

Manuel will be canned within a month. And then Myers will be back in the rotation, where he belongs.
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LongDrive » Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:44 pm

bAsKeTcAsE86 wrote:Yes, I agree. Taking a two or three start and two or three appearance sample size for Myers clearly proves that he is a better reliever than starter. And worrying about Gordon not cutting it this early also makes more sense than I could ever muster. Let's forget the fact that he has converted 4 out of his last 5 save chances, and hasn't looked any shakier during the FIRST HALF of the FIRST MONTH of the season than any other RP not named Papelbon.

Manuel will be canned within a month. And then Myers will be back in the rotation, where he belongs.

selective reading ftw

you can't bake up your opinions with any facts. i can - this setup with myers in the bullpen and lieber in the rotation has produced more wins and better stats for all involved.

where's your facts buddy?
LongDrive
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby magoosh007 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:41 pm

LongDrive wrote:
bAsKeTcAsE86 wrote:Yes, I agree. Taking a two or three start and two or three appearance sample size for Myers clearly proves that he is a better reliever than starter. And worrying about Gordon not cutting it this early also makes more sense than I could ever muster. Let's forget the fact that he has converted 4 out of his last 5 save chances, and hasn't looked any shakier during the FIRST HALF of the FIRST MONTH of the season than any other RP not named Papelbon.

selective reading ftw

you can't bake up your opinions with any facts. i can - this setup with myers in the bullpen and lieber in the rotation has produced more wins and better stats for all involved.

Ummm...so you honestly believe that since this has worked so far it will work all season? We're still in April dude. You think Myers is more valuable to the Phillies pitching 70 innings rather than 220? That's a joke and the manager deserves to be fired for this. Oh and my facts come from previous SEASONS, not just a week and a half of stats. Myers is a PROVEN starter and Gordon's a proven reliever. Why make Myers a closer? That's ridiculous. He's supposed to be their staff ace for crying out loud.
magoosh007
College Coach
College Coach

Postby angels7777 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:16 pm

magoosh007 wrote:
LongDrive wrote:

selective reading ftw

Ummm...so you honestly believe that since this has worked so far it will work all season? We're still in April dude. You think Myers is more valuable to the Phillies pitching 70 innings rather than 220? That's a joke and the manager deserves to be fired for this. Oh and my facts come from previous SEASONS, not just a week and a half of stats. Myers is a PROVEN starter and Gordon's a proven reliever. Why make Myers a closer? That's ridiculous. He's supposed to be their staff ace for crying out loud.

and really it's been the Phillies offense that has been making the difference... compare Utley's production from then to now...

the offense had to turn it around... 2 starts for Lieber = gold :-t
2 starts Belisle = gold as well, but he has slowed down like some other pitchers...

that sample size is way too small... over the long haul things will play out
angels7777
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby JMB05 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:54 pm

LongDrive wrote:
bAsKeTcAsE86 wrote:Clearly, he is trying to groom Myers into the closer's role, but why? Gordon is just fine there. There are 20 other teams out there that would love to have Tom Gordon closing games for them...

And if one of the previous posters is correct (and I wouldn't put it past this idiotic organization) and they are trying to showcase Lieber as trade bait, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. He is the 6th best SP on the team, and he is going to cost the Phillies several wins in what is shaping up to be the toughest division in the NL.

Tom Gordon
2006 pre-all star: 2.17 ERA, 1.10 whip, 21 saves
2006 post all star: 5.12 ERA, 1.55 whip, 11 saves
2007 so far: 4.91 ERA, 1.91 whip, 4 saves

Jon Lieber
2007 in bullpen - 11.57 ERA
2007 as starter - 1-0, 1.54 ERA

Brett Myers
2007 starter - 0-2, 9.39 ERA
2007 reliever - 0-0, 2.25 ERA

You don't know more baseball than managers and general managers of major league baseball teams.

Hey there, if you're gonna use gordons WHIP to prove a point, use liebers and myers as well. Myers is pitching like isringhausen right now, dosen't give up many runs but gives up lots of hits and walks.

Apples to apples man.
JMB05
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 15)

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Hehe.
Apparently, there is no need for me to defend myself...you all did it for me.
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:05 am

The Phillies won't pull Tom Gordon from the closer's role following his blown save Friday.

Still, they're not exactly committed to him either. "Brett (Myers) will get some chances. The more he pitches, the better he's going to get," manager Charlie Manuel said. "This is a role he has to get used to." It seems like it's only a matter of time until Gordon loses the job,
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:11 am

Myers allowed 4 hits tonight himself...he's very lucky that he hasn't given up any runs yet, and he looks pretty shaky in his relief role if you ask me. He has a WHIP of 2 in his last 3 appearances...

Get the man back in the rotation, where he's used to pitching!!!
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby converge241 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:18 am

Please Manuel will send Gordon to the rotation :-D :-D
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby TheOmen » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:49 am

After the awful job he did with the Indians, why was Manuel even considered by the Phillies in the first place? Seriously, fire this idiot...now! Myers is the best pitcher on the staff, and they have the best chance to make the playoffs with him making 30 starts. Clearly, he is trying to groom Myers into the closer's role, but why? Gordon is just fine there. There are 20 other teams out there that would love to have Tom Gordon closing games for them...

Manuel got the job because of Jim Thome-that's it. He was Thome's hitting coach with the Indians and Thome put in a positive word for him. The Phillies, who were surprised they were able to get even a warm body caved.
TheOmen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates