Brett Myers to close for the Phils? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Brett Myers to close for the Phils?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby jfg » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:56 pm

Manuel is just being stupid. Once Howard and Utley return to normal that offense is going to be really good considering the production they are getting from the rest of the lineup. The bullpen shouldn't have to hold close leads as much at that point and Myers should end up back as a starter. He's like a fantasy noob panicking way too early.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ceLpH » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:11 am

when are the Phils gonna fire that idiot? Manuel is past his prime
ceLpH
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ragged25 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:38 am

sportsaddict wrote:"Until Brett gets better or whatever."

Sounds like you really know what you're talking about big Charlie :-b

that's a classic, what's next? Have Howard bat ninth cuz he's hitting .200 and have Rollins hitting clean up?

What a moron.
^Thanks Alec03^
ragged25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby canadastar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:35 pm

Everyone relax. They want to showcase Lieber as a starter so they can deal him. Myers will be back starting within a month.
canadastar
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Rhydderch » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:58 pm

canadastar wrote:Everyone relax. They want to showcase Lieber as a starter so they can deal him. Myers will be back starting within a month.

This may be true, but why send your best pitcher to the pen. The NL East is very competive, and if the Phils finish two games out of a playoff spot....
Rhydderch
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cwrtlm » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:59 pm

I agree that this has to be a temporary thing. Either Leiber is be tangled as trade bait or this is motivation to Myers to shape up when he is returned to the rotation.
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pedros Little Friend » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:02 pm

really? i think he can be a far better closer than gordon right now and with gordon gone after this year, they could have a good closer going on.

for fantasy purposes, i'm banking on him closing
Pedros Little Friend
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Coppermine » Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:28 pm

Again, Phillies fans that I've talked to love moving Myers to the pen... and now they're ready for him to close.

I'm starting to think that maybe all this is just to get Phillies fans to stop booing so much :-b
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bAsKeTcAsE86 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:19 pm

After the awful job he did with the Indians, why was Manuel even considered by the Phillies in the first place? Seriously, fire this idiot...now! Myers is the best pitcher on the staff, and they have the best chance to make the playoffs with him making 30 starts. Clearly, he is trying to groom Myers into the closer's role, but why? Gordon is just fine there. There are 20 other teams out there that would love to have Tom Gordon closing games for them...

And if one of the previous posters is correct (and I wouldn't put it past this idiotic organization) and they are trying to showcase Lieber as trade bait, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. He is the 6th best SP on the team, and he is going to cost the Phillies several wins in what is shaping up to be the toughest division in the NL.
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." ~Edgar Allen Poe
bAsKeTcAsE86
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LongDrive » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:58 pm

bAsKeTcAsE86 wrote:Clearly, he is trying to groom Myers into the closer's role, but why? Gordon is just fine there. There are 20 other teams out there that would love to have Tom Gordon closing games for them...

And if one of the previous posters is correct (and I wouldn't put it past this idiotic organization) and they are trying to showcase Lieber as trade bait, that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. He is the 6th best SP on the team, and he is going to cost the Phillies several wins in what is shaping up to be the toughest division in the NL.

Tom Gordon
2006 pre-all star: 2.17 ERA, 1.10 whip, 21 saves
2006 post all star: 5.12 ERA, 1.55 whip, 11 saves
2007 so far: 4.91 ERA, 1.91 whip, 4 saves

Jon Lieber
2007 in bullpen - 11.57 ERA
2007 as starter - 1-0, 1.54 ERA

Brett Myers
2007 starter - 0-2, 9.39 ERA
2007 reliever - 0-0, 2.25 ERA

You don't know more baseball than managers and general managers of major league baseball teams.
LongDrive
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates