Un-talented Mr. Roto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Un-talented Mr. Roto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Millhouse » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:46 am

YardBirds wrote:It depends solely on league format for me...

Zambrano is hot and cold... he will come out for 3 starts and blow away the competition and then his next 2 will be 6 ER head shakers. I don't know about you guys, but H2H i want someone solid who you know will give you 7 strong IP of around 2-4 ER baseball, with good Ks.

If we are talking Roto, then Zambrano is the great because you can hopefully sit him against teams you think will rough him up, with no immediate consequence.

As far as Bonds and Manny go... they are both aging stars.... Bonds, when healthy, is one of the best fantasy producers, and there is no reason to think that he won't put up numbers greater then or equal to Manny, but there is one exception... Bonds produces week in and week out... Manny takes the first 2 months off.... and H2H that hurts his value.... whereas again Roto, you can afford to sit him for a hot bat.

All in all, buy low - sell high strat is just as much a gamble as drafting in the first place.... there are always the players that make comebacks and the great players that take nose dives... just ask Todd Helton (1st rounder 2 years ago)...

At this point, I would think extremely hard about trading my Hudson/Bonds for his Zambrano/Manny... but if im in a H2H league, I'd probably go with steady production of streaky stars.

agree with this. i'm in a HtoH league and manny is killlin me with his "1-4, 1K, BB" kinda games. seems to be hitting more weak grounders to SS this year so far than ever before. normally his .300+ AVG offsets any power outages but even that's been brutal so far. trust me, i'm a sox fan and i love this guy, but his on-again/off-again mental approach is verrry frustrating to watch when, as in my case, you double up as his fantasy owner, too. gimme bonds' HR bat over manny right now.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DevilDriver » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:04 am

Ender wrote:I wouldn't draft Zambrano until about round 9.

Not drafting him until round 9 would be claiming that there are over 20 SPs that are more valuable than him.. He has a 3.14 ERA and 600 Ks over the last 3 years, and he's still 25. You could try to make a case that he's not a top 10 SP, but there's no way he's not top 20.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:50 am

I honestly think that this is really dumb advice. That being said, at least he's willing to go against general knowledge and go out on a limb. A lot of people think Zambrano is overrated (myself included) and if this is his thought process as well, then it isn't that bad a deal. Smoltz probably won't keep it up, but then again, how can you know that? So, basically, while I don't agree with the advice, I still give him credit for going against the mainstream, which very few "experts" are willing to do.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers