Un-talented Mr. Roto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Un-talented Mr. Roto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WhiteHot » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:32 pm

Ender wrote:I would draft Manny late 2nd or early 3rd round. I wouldn't draft Zambrano until about round 9. I'd draft Bonds around round 8 or 9 because we don't use daily lineups and he's gonna sit more as the year goes on. I'd draft Hudson in the low teens probably, 13, 14 or so.

My draft happened before the season.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:51 pm

WhiteHot wrote:
Ender wrote:I would draft Manny late 2nd or early 3rd round. I wouldn't draft Zambrano until about round 9. I'd draft Bonds around round 8 or 9 because we don't use daily lineups and he's gonna sit more as the year goes on. I'd draft Hudson in the low teens probably, 13, 14 or so.

My draft happened before the season.

Good for you, what does that have to do with the question I was responding to?

If a draft were held today, where would these 4 guys be taken?
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mak1277 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:12 pm

Crippler wrote:Its absolutely horrible advice. I dont care if he's going against the grain or not. Telling someone to sell their $20 bill for two $5's is also against the grain....and just as stupid.

Thanks for the terrible analogy. trading a 20 dollar bill for 2 fives is bad, and everyone who can add knows it.

Saying the fantasy trade in question is bad is simply your opinion, nothing more. You have no way to prove that would be a bad trade at this moment in time.

There is a zero percent chance that $10 is more than $20...but there is a far greater than zero percent chance that Bonds/Hudson ends up better than Manny/Zambrano.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:14 pm

In a 2 for 2 deal I'd for sure go with the Manny & Zambrano. Trading Bonds & Hudson for those 2 guys is buying low.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby pangbones » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:49 pm

The reason Hudson was available so late is simply because he stunk last year. As is always the case, last years stats have a huge impact on most peoples perception of where a player should be drafted. I would certainly trade Bonds and Hudson for Z and Manny, but who's to say that all the BB's won't catch up to Z and he struggles all year, or Manny continues to struggle?
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby bleach168 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:30 pm

I don't even like or want Manny and Zambrano but I would still do the deal because I know these guys are worth more than Hudson and Bonds. This allows me to flip these guys for talent that I do want.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:01 pm

berry gives out horrible advice, i agree.

pre-season he kept saying igawa is just as good as dice-k.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby gforce1124 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:52 am

i agree with most of the stuff that TMR says. this, i'm not sure about. BUT, what if he thinks zambrano is hiding an injury? he's thrown more pitches than most the past couple years. if he pulls a wood or prior, then would bonds and hudson have more value than manny? maybe. i'm not sure of the context of TMR's statement, but he may have thought along those lines.
gforce1124
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JoshDJays » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:58 am

I think it'd be pure insanity NOT to trade Hudson and Bonds for Ramirez and Zambrano.
JoshDJays Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby YardBirds » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:38 am

It depends solely on league format for me...

Zambrano is hot and cold... he will come out for 3 starts and blow away the competition and then his next 2 will be 6 ER head shakers. I don't know about you guys, but H2H i want someone solid who you know will give you 7 strong IP of around 2-4 ER baseball, with good Ks.

If we are talking Roto, then Zambrano is the great because you can hopefully sit him against teams you think will rough him up, with no immediate consequence.

As far as Bonds and Manny go... they are both aging stars.... Bonds, when healthy, is one of the best fantasy producers, and there is no reason to think that he won't put up numbers greater then or equal to Manny, but there is one exception... Bonds produces week in and week out... Manny takes the first 2 months off.... and H2H that hurts his value.... whereas again Roto, you can afford to sit him for a hot bat.

All in all, buy low - sell high strat is just as much a gamble as drafting in the first place.... there are always the players that make comebacks and the great players that take nose dives... just ask Todd Helton (1st rounder 2 years ago)...

At this point, I would think extremely hard about trading my Hudson/Bonds for his Zambrano/Manny... but if im in a H2H league, I'd probably go with steady production of streaky stars.

ETA: I think Hudson is back, and from watching his last 3 outings, I don't see him faltering back to '06 form. If he is pitching like he did in Oakland again... then Hudson > Zam in every cat except Ks... I'll take 3 cats to 1 any day. Plus Hudson has never been under .500 W/L in his career which is excellent considering how terrible he played last year... I think he is a good candidate for a 20 game winner this year.
"I never used a corked bat...And if I took it to court I'd win that case." --Albert "Joey" Belle
YardBirds
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers