Un-talented Mr. Roto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Un-talented Mr. Roto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Un-talented Mr. Roto

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:49 am

Wow... I've heard others complain about Matthew Berry (Talented Mr. Roto) on ESPN before, but never quite saw what the fuss was all about. Then I glanced through a chat recap this morning, and saw that he advised someone AGAINST trading away Barry Bonds and Tim Hudson to get back Manny Ramirez and Carlos Zambrano. Terrible...

I like the chats on ESPN, but not if this is the crap advise one can expect. I wish there were more daily chats elsewhere.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ender » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:50 am

Zambrano isn't going to have a good year so I can see where he is coming from, I'd still take the Manny side of that trade in a heartbeat because Hudson won't keep this up all year either, he has that one hot streak every year and always reverts to mediocrity.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby mak1277 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:51 am

Heaven forbid someone have an opinion that doesn't agree with the mainstream consensus...they must be ridiculed.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Millhouse » Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:57 am

mak1277 wrote:Heaven forbid someone have an opinion that doesn't agree with the mainstream consensus...they must be ridiculed.

Agree here. I can see his logic, if he simply doesn't believe in Zambrano like many don't. And while Manny is no doubt a stud, Barry looks to be in prime HR form, so for pure power, they're kind of a wash, both likely in the 35 HR range. I own Manny and I haven't been pleased wiht how he's looked so far, lots of weak grounders to short. He'll turn it around, but I think his guaranteed days of .315-40-125 are behind him.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 101)

Postby godallahstar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:00 am

do you guys seriously think from here on out that bonds and hudson will outperform zambrano and manny?
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mak1277 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:08 am

godallahstar wrote:do you guys seriously think from here on out that bonds and hudson will outperform zambrano and manny?

Probably not, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did happen. I agree with Berry that Bonds is going to have a monster year.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:11 am

Wow... 99% of the posts around here contain some variant of the phrase "it's only April, be patient". Bonds and Hudson were drafted after the 10th round for a reason... same with Manny and Zambrano being drafted so high. I'm kind of shocked by the responses here. Oh well - to each his own I guess.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:15 am

godallahstar wrote:do you guys seriously think from here on out that bonds and hudson will outperform zambrano and manny?
I don't think its an unreasonable expectation. Hudson's splitter is back. You know, the one he had when he was a top-10 pitcher for like 5 years straight? He'll have more wins than Zambrano (better pen, better or equal offense), fewer Ks (although not as bad as last year), better WHIP, similar ERA.

As for Bonds, he could easily put up numbers similar to Manny's. He's been down-graded these past few years because of injury concerns and now he's healthy.

It's a close thing, but both Bonds and Hudson are probably going to out-perform their draft slot this year.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:15 am

Manny > Bonds
Zambrano > Hudson

....I don't see what all the fuss is about? :-?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby mak1277 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:17 am

I understand what you're saying, and absolutely, this particular piece of advice is "against the grain". It goes against the buy-low/sell-high theories. But just because it's different, doesn't mean it's automatically wrong...he went out on a limb. I find that more interesting than the same old stuff.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers