I know it's only April but... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

I know it's only April but...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I know it's only April but...

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:06 am

Wow, I'm off to a brutal start. Gotta tell myself eveyday to take deep breaths and not panic yet. First month's not even over but I'm a little worried. My team is pretty much dead last in every hitting category except average. Heck, ARod has more homers than my entire team combined. And, my pitching staff isn't turning out as I had hoped (I'm in 12 out of 12). 5x5 league 12 teamer. Here's my team:

C: Mauer, Pierzynski
1B:Helton
2B: Polanco
SS: Jeter
3B: Zimmerman
MI: F. Sanchez
CI: Overbay
OF: Mags, Baldelli, Hawpe, Ethier, Taveras
Util: K. Greene
BN: Taveras, Borchard, L. Castillo

P: Johan, Jered Weaver, Francis, Lowry, Anthony Reyes, Wolf, K-Rod, Papelbon, Mussina (DL), Escobar (DL)

I need any help I can get. Right now I'm trying to ship Polanco off, maybe for some power. Bonser just got dropped and I'm thinking about getting him. I have a pretty high waiver (like 4 or 5) but I don't know if I should get him?

Other guys on WW: Biggio, Sosa, Jenkins, Uribe, Huff, Harris, E. Encarnacion, Casey, Mench

P: Garland, Tomko, Davis?

Pretty slim pickins. Any advice would be appreciated.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TopHatCat » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:43 am

I would be worried about your team at this point.

The good news is that you have a decent core of high average guys who can chip in some steals and homers. Mauer and Jeter are stars. Your entire infield is solid. Baldelli probably has the most potential among on your guys to out perform his draft position.

The bad news is that no one on your offense has a history of being a 30+ homer power hitter (except for Helton, but he's been steadily losing his power). So it's not a case of sluggers starting slow like most of the struggling teams in this forum. I just don't see you making up much ground even if all of your guys reach their power peak.

You can't punt home runs because they affect rbi's and runs, as well. So you gotta make some trades to acquire 2 or 3 power hitters. Your outfield is a prime place to upgrade. Outside of Baldelli, I don't like anyone in your outfield/utility/bench. Lower tier power hitters like Adam Dunn (who's bad average you could offset with all your high average guys), and badly slumping sluggers like Sheffield, and Tex should be your target. Jeter + someone or Mauer + someone might be able to get you first round slugger, especially if they're a rabid yankee/twins fan.

I'd also pick up Huff and drop Borchard. Huff definitely has some power.

Your pitching staff outside of Johan, Wolf, K-Rod, and Paps is problematic as well. Trade either Mussina or Escobar, you can't really afford to keep an inactive guy on your bench. Who else is on the waiver wire? Francis, Lowry, and Reyes could all be dropped and replaced.
TopHatCat
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:39 pm

I realize that I have some problems here. In terms of waivers I could pick up someone with some power like Huff or Sosa but their average would definitely kill me. I wanna make some trades but I'm not sure that I should package Mauer and Jeter, two of my top 3 picks for power. I'd have to be getting first round quality and would there really be a point?

Oh and I just dropped Borchard and added Garko on Cleveland. He's getting some playing time now.
bobbing_headz
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team