Aaron Hill.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Aaron Hill....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Aaron Hill....

Postby B-Chad » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:31 pm

Now if it were just a handful of HR's I wouldn't even be posting this... but he's ripping extra base hits in general... where is the power coming from? What kind of pop does he project to have in the long run? He was drafted in the first round by the Jays in 2003 so I have to imagine he has a relatively decent ceiling. Clearly he's a pretty patient hitter and can hit over .300... but if he could do it with some pop he'd be worthy of owning and starting even in 12 team mixed leagues. Just looking for some help from anyone with any knowledge.. maybe some LSU fans or Jays fans who follow their farm system.
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Figgy Cent » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:56 pm

Jays fan here ..

Hill is first and foremost -- a contact hitter. Hence the low K totals he gives you.

In the past offseason, he worked on weight training. But Don't expect him to be a 20 home run guy within the next couple years. I would expect him to be a 15 hr, 70 rbi type guy. Solid, not flashy.

Hill is a great hitter though. Excellent approach at the plate, great stance, good eye, and he does have the extra base power.

For this season, I would expect this from him:

.300 | 36 2B | 14 HR | 70 RBI | 5 SB | 50 BB | 60 K
Figgy Cent
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby B-Chad » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:11 am

Thanks... I kind of figured a line similar... but the HR's and doubles out of the gate had me a little curious. I'd still be happy with the low K's... high hit totals and good ba in a head to head league with a ton of categories. If nothing else he should serve as a nice stop gap until Stephen Drew's patience and solid approach turns into solid numbers. Thanks.
B-Chad
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Coppermine » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:57 am

He's been waling the ball all year so far; I picked him up and I don't think I'll look back. Like Figgy said, he's no power hitter but with SS and 2B eligibility in most leagues, I can't think of a better pickup if he's out there. I've got Orlando Cabrera and Felipe Lopez in my one league and I picked up Hill to just mix-and-match with those guys. It's made a difference so far, but if Hill starts to slow down or slump, I can always bench him or swap him for someone else.

I think he might be this year's Brian Roberts ca. 2005. No one expect him to hit over 15 home runs after his previous season high was 5. He hit 18 that year with 73 RBI, 92 Runs, 27 SB's and a .313 average.

Hill is a little younger than Roberts was in his breakout season, and doesn't have SB potential but I think he could hit 15+ homers and pull off a .310 average.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby x_Momentum » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:39 pm

The thing I dig about this kid is his Slugging %

He's hitting for a lot of extra base hits. I think the Jays lineup is real productive around him. Whether he hits the 2Bs or Wells, Rios, Thomas, Overbay do, Hill is going to get chances for R or RBI wherever he's placed. Nice upside.
x_Momentum
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mrider » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:48 am

Hes playing above his head in terms of power. I would really like to see him move to 2nd in the lineup so his runs would increase.
mrider
General Manager
General Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates