Mark Prior signs 1-year deal with the DL - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mark Prior signs 1-year deal with the DL

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shasty mcnasty » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:06 am

Chrisy Moltisanti wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:
Kingctb27 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Wherefore art thee, double standard. :-D

Funny how even suggesting that Prior used something resorts in flaming (keep it civil by the way, or there will locking and warnings handed out) and condemning Bonds is basically encouraged by the masses.

Funny that there's nothing but rumor and innuendo linking both.

Exactly my point. I'm not going to debate anything because I don't know it for a fact, but I can tell you one thing he doesn't look like a normal pitcher. His calves are the size of a running backs for heavens sake. I probably shouldn't have made the comment but I do believe the reason his tendons are all messed up is because his muscles grew to fast and his tendon's did not keep up. Call me a hater if you want.

If I had to bet one way or the other I definetly would say that he has taken them though.

right there with ya'. i don't think it's the only reason...Dusty is a known pitcher butcher, and those fluke injuries obviously had their impact....in some ways, he seems like something of a headcase...maybe that happened after the injuries, i can't remember. seems like a confluence of factors, but for my money, i'd put PEDs right there along with the other factors. obviously, just an opinion though. O:-)

Well, now the well mannered and educated USC product is a headcase. I can't believe how much unsubstantiated crap has been thrown around about Prior here.

moltisanti, you have some serious manlove for prior. by "headcase" i didn't intend to intimate that he's a jerk...it was not a statement on his manners, but more on the perception locally that he's unable/unwilling to pitch through minor pain. whether or not that reputation is deserved, it is there, so that's what i was referencing. i've got no emotional attachment for or against him...you on the other hand, seem to consider any negative opinion of him a personal affront...
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: enjoying another beautiful day in southwest Michigan

Postby wrveres » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:32 am

shasty mcnasty wrote:
Kingctb27 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Wherefore art thee, double standard. Image

Funny how even suggesting that Prior used something resorts in flaming (keep it civil by the way, or there will locking and warnings handed out) and condemning Bonds is basically encouraged by the masses.

Exactly my point. I'm not going to debate anything because I don't know it for a fact, but I can tell you one thing he doesn't look like a normal pitcher. His calves are the size of a running backs for heavens sake. I probably shouldn't have made the comment but I do believe the reason his tendons are all messed up is because his muscles grew to fast and his tendon's did not keep up. Call me a hater if you want.

If I had to bet one way or the other I definetly would say that he has taken them though.

right there with ya'. i don't think it's the only reason...Dusty is a known pitcher butcher, and those fluke injuries obviously had their impact....in some ways, he seems like something of a headcase...maybe that happened after the injuries, i can't remember. seems like a confluence of factors, but for my money, i'd put PEDs right there along with the other factors. obviously, just an opinion though. Image

Hey shasty, why don't you do me a favor.
If Dusty is such a known pitcher butcher as you put it, why don't you list all the starting pitchers he has "butchered" over the years? couldn't be that hard ..

Here I will help you, according to you he butchered ..
Prior
Wood ..

who else? ;)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 744)

Postby shasty mcnasty » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:40 am

wrveres wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:
Kingctb27 wrote:
Big Pimpin wrote:Wherefore art thee, double standard. Image

right there with ya'. i don't think it's the only reason...Dusty is a known pitcher butcher, and those fluke injuries obviously had their impact....in some ways, he seems like something of a headcase...maybe that happened after the injuries, i can't remember. seems like a confluence of factors, but for my money, i'd put PEDs right there along with the other factors. obviously, just an opinion though. Image

Hey shasty, why don't you do me a favor.
If Dusty is such a known pitcher butcher as you put it, why don't you list all the starting pitchers he has "butchered" over the years? couldn't be that hard ..

Here I will help you, according to you he butchered ..
Prior
Wood ..

who else? ;)

umh, i'm pretty sure i didn't come up with that theory on my own. guess i should have expressed myself a bit more clearly for those that love good ol' dusty....here ya' go....
Dusty Baker has a reputation for being a pitcher butcher.
Will that work better for you? I mean, i have no idea if Baker's philosophy on pitchers has actually harmed anyone...i've got no analysis or numbers to offer...it was an off-hand comment which i'm pretty sure is shared by many more than myself. but ya' know, maybe i'm just a sheep on topics such as Bonds/Dusty/Prior. ;-7
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby wrveres » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:42 am

shasty mcnasty wrote:
umh, i'm pretty sure i didn't come up with that theory on my own. guess i should have expressed myself a bit more clearly for those that love good ol' dusty....here ya' go....
Will that work better for you? I mean, i have no idea if Baker's philosophy on pitchers has actually harmed anyone...i've got no analysis or numbers to offer...it was an off-hand comment which i'm pretty sure is shared by many more than myself. but ya' know, maybe i'm just a sheep on topics such as Bonds/Dusty/Prior. Image

lol .. ok.

No stresses.
Just so you know the awnser, it is NONE.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby shasty mcnasty » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:49 am

wrveres wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:
Will that work better for you? I mean, i have no idea if Baker's philosophy on pitchers has actually harmed anyone...i've got no analysis or numbers to offer...it was an off-hand comment which i'm pretty sure is shared by many more than myself. but ya' know, maybe i'm just a sheep on topics such as Bonds/Dusty/Prior. Image

lol .. ok.

No stresses.

for interest's sake, didn't he have the rep of badly handling pitchers (overuse) before he came to chi-town? I'm pretty sure i remember interviews of media guys from SF when he first came to chicago, and that they said that he did perhaps have a weakness in that area...memory can be a tricky thing, so maybe i'm way off-base here...i'm sure you'd know more about his rep. from before he came to chicago...
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jnormy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:53 am

wrveres wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:

lol .. ok.

No stresses.

Here's an interesting take on this very subject from the Hardball Times last year while Dusty was still with the Cubbies, for your reading pleasure:
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... ch-counts/
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby wrveres » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:56 am

shasty mcnasty wrote:
wrveres wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:

lol .. ok.

No stresses.

for interest's sake, didn't he have the rep of badly handling pitchers (overuse) before he came to chi-town? I'm pretty sure i remember interviews of media guys from SF when he first came to chicago, and that they said that he did perhaps have a weakness in that area...memory can be a tricky thing, so maybe i'm way off-base here...i'm sure you'd know more about his rep. from before he came to chicago...

Actually it is quite the opposite, before he came to Chicago he was noted for the way he used his staff. It was one of his strong points. As a matter of fact he was one of the few managers in history to have his starting pitching staff not go on the DL for an entire season. He hadn't had a losing season in years, and had won multiple Manager of the Year awards. The only knock on him was his use of Nen during the Giants World Series run, but Nen has since come out and said it was all him, that he wanted that ball and knew he was pitching the final innings of his career, while pitching injured.

This hatred for Dusty didn't start until he set his toothpick holder down in Chicago.
Last edited by wrveres on Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:01 am

jnormy wrote:
wrveres wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:

lol .. ok.

No stresses.

Here's an interesting take on this very subject from the Hardball Times last year while Dusty was still with the Cubbies, for your reading pleasure:
http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/artic ... ch-counts/

great read.
thanks for sharing
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby shasty mcnasty » Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:02 am

wrveres wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:
wrveres wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:

lol .. ok.

No stresses.

Actually it is quite the opposite, before he came to Chicago he was noted for the way he used his staff. It was one of his strong points. As a matter of fact he was one of the few managers in history to have his starting pitching staff not go on the DL for an entire season. He had hadn't had a losing season in years, and had won multiple Manager of the Year awards. The only knock on him was his use of Nen during the Giants World Series run, but Nen has since come out and said it was all him, that he wanted that ball and knew he was pitching the final innings of his career, while pitching injured.

This hatred for Dusty didn't start until he set he toothpick holder down in Chicago.

i wasn't referring to hatred...as i recall the interviewee from SF media (no idea who, or what part of the media) liked Dusty quite alot and gave him quite the favorable interview...just mentioned handling of pitching staff as a potential problem. maybe i'm just crazy though, or maybe it was the Nen issue. :-?
shasty mcnasty
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:50 am

shasty mcnasty wrote:
wrveres wrote:
shasty mcnasty wrote:

lol .. ok.

No stresses.

Go ahead and call Jose Guillen a headcase, but if there is no substantial information about a player in such regards, don't talk crap.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers