Learn Guitar.. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Learn Guitar..

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Learn Guitar..

Postby RynMan » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:19 pm

Which is the best way to learn? Easiest? From a book? Lessons? DVD?

I know a few of you guys know how to play....I'm interested, but it's tough to start when it's such a long way to getting good at something....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:24 pm

I took (am taking) lessons. I've gotten a few books and DVDs as gifts but they don't help me very much. You could teach yourself with tabs and stuff but anyone can learn individual songs using tabs. I would strongly recommend lessons just because you get someone else with you who knows how to play and learning in person is much better than a DVD where you can't ask questions or anything.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby thedude » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:31 pm

email ACS. ;-D
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby luckygehrig » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:32 pm

I have to second the lessons idea. I don't know how to play guitar, but lessons were by far the easiest way to improve when I used to play other instruments in school. And I echo what Teddy said about being able to learn individual songs by tab alone. I've had a guitar for a few years and try to teach myself a song every now and then, but I feel like I'm simply parroting the page and not really learning anything. If I weren't so lazy and cheap, I would definitely go the lesson route.
luckygehrig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:21 am

Best way to learn is lessons. And shop around. Then find some approved books and practice on your own time as well. If you're serious, learn theory. If you just want to jam around the basement for fun, just learn tabs and noise. I'm self-taught and developed some bad habits so get with a knowledgable instructor and go from there.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jbones733 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:27 am

lessons

i took a few lessons, then ending up teaching myself, but never truely "got it" like i read tabs & learned scales, but im sure i don't do things properly, lessons the way to go if your serious
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:32 am

I taught myself. Books with pictures of the chords are nice. Play with other guitarists and pick up tips. Lessons are good as long as they don't focus on music theory the entire time.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Mugrila » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:32 am

I've taught myself so far, but I really wish I had taken a few lessons. However, you could probably learn a few of the chords and get comfortable switching back and forth, stringing a few together, etc. before you start shelling out money. Hope you decide to try it and stick with it though, can really be a lifelong thing. ;-D
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby pokeyjoe » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:34 pm

I don't take lessons, and I'm decent at guitar, and pretty good at bass, but my dad is also a very good guitar player and a lot of my friends and my dads friends play, so I'm around musicians often. You probably could teach yourself, but you need to at least know someone whos good at guitar to pick up tips here and there.
[URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
pokeyjoe
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:28 pm

Well, my Dad had taught me acoustic guitar when I was growing up and so, I knew how to read sheet music. Knowing this made the process easier when I picked up an electric guitar. I was pretty decent at playing classic Metallica and Slayer in high school, but around my junior year in college I stopped playing completely. Hadn't bothered to pick it back up again, seeing how my garage metal band days were over. Besides, I was always more of a drummer. B-)
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 616)

Next

Return to General Talk