Shortstops: Boone or J. Hernandez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shortstops: Boone or J. Hernandez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby EricF » Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:55 pm

See the post made Mar. 1 about Uribe sustaining a stress fracture. If Hernandez has to play shortstop, he won't have the flexibility of a Boone (soon to be eligible at three infield positions). Hernandez will probably have more power, and his average will be OK, but Boone's average should not be as low as it was in 2002, and he showed that he could steal some bases - always valuable in fantasy. Your choice is tough, but if there are other decent shortstops available, you could take Boone and another shortstop, and play both of them.
EricF
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Wolf Howl » Sat Mar 01, 2003 11:10 pm

I never thought Perez, Lansing or Petrick were all that good to begin with. Just because Coors couldnt turn those guys into power-hitters doesnt mean it cant turn a guy that can hit 25 hrs with the Brew into a guy that hits 35 with the Rockies.

I like Jose as long as the league doesnt subtract for the whiffs. I plan on taking him in the later rounds if he is still available in my draft. Never hurts to have a multi-position guy, in Coors, with a lot of pop.
Wolf Howl
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mattusd » Sun Mar 02, 2003 7:35 pm

i'd like to respond to the response about neifi perez and jeff cirillo... yes cirillo had better avg. and slg. years away from coors, but his best fantasy season was at coors... and perez was a viable fantasy starter when he played there as well, just because he didn't hit for power didn't mean he didn't fare well there, when he left he fell off the map, but when he was there he had a near .300 avg, a load of hits and runs, and some steals. so though those guys didn't become power hitter when they went to coors (perez was never one), their best fantasy seasons were at coors.
mattusd
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers