Shortstops: Boone or J. Hernandez? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Shortstops: Boone or J. Hernandez?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Shortstops: Boone or J. Hernandez?

Postby mattusd » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:18 am

I was wondering what you guys thought about these two shortstops.... I have a chance at grabbing either of them and I keep changing my mind... I already have several power hitters and no speed so i was thinking of going with boone... if he continues to steal (although i fear he could pull a koskie).

but Jose hernandez in coors is attractive even though i already have hr's and rbi taken care of....

so what does everyone think? Boone or Hernandez?

(i already have 3B covered by the way w/ pujols and nevin)
mattusd
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltransTHEman » Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:29 am

jose hernandez..if strike outs arent counted take him...he'll hit a ton of HRs and might even break 100RBI with a .300 average
beltransTHEman
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:11 am

Jose is the hot flavor of the month, but i take Boone easy. If Boone only goes 20/20, he will outearn Jose. Not everyone gets better in Coors. Cirillo and Lansing actually became worse. Jose could get 30 hrs, but 20/20 has much more value.
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby The Guru_fbc » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:20 am

if you've already got power categories taken care of then you mine's as well take boone, you'll get some power and the steals
The Guru_fbc
College Coach
College Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby icepak » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:23 am

i would take boone, as well as the added value once he qualifies at 2nd
icepak
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:24 am

I think that 30 hrs for Hernandez may be a little low. He hit 24 last year and 25 the year before. Lets say that by hitting in Coors, the hitters park, as opposed to Miller will turn 10-15 of his doubles into HRs. I don't think that's unreasonable. Not to mention the fact that he now gets to hit against the worst team in the league, not play for them. I think that 35-40 hrs for Hernandez is more likely. Plus, Although Boone was pretty good last year, he did hit almost twice as many hrs as in his previous best and same for sbs. And he only hit .241.
Bottom line: Unless you're desperate for steals, take Hernandez. He's got more history behind him and moved to Coors.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:12 am

Absolutely Adequate wrote:I think that 30 hrs for Hernandez may be a little low. He hit 24 last year and 25 the year before. Lets say that by hitting in Coors, the hitters park, as opposed to Miller will turn 10-15 of his doubles into HRs. I don't think that's unreasonable. Not to mention the fact that he now gets to hit against the worst team in the league, not play for them. I think that 35-40 hrs for Hernandez is more likely. Plus, Although Boone was pretty good last year, he did hit almost twice as many hrs as in his previous best and same for sbs. And he only hit .241.
Bottom line: Unless you're desperate for steals, take Hernandez. He's got more history behind him and moved to Coors.

Jose best hr season was 25. I dont see anything close to 40. Preston Wilson maybe, not Jose. I dont understand the comment Joses got more history behind him? Career numbers

avg Boone 271 Jose 255
oba Boone 333 Jose 314
slugging% Boone 446 Jose 429
sb Boone 68 Jose 35
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 292)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Munson, Roy E » Mon Feb 24, 2003 3:01 am

I'm not buying this hype on Jose Hernandez. How can he hit more home runs if he always struggles to make contact? Yes he's moving to Mile High, but he's also moving into the worst hitter's division in the NL West. SF and LA are bad hitters parks and he'll be facing the Unit and Schill many more times this year. I'm staying away.

On the other hand, the new ballpark in Cincy favors leftys meaning if Boone can get on, he'll score plenty of runs and will have lots of opportunities to drive in runs. Add the SBs and he's more valuable, not to mention his versatility in terms of positions. He'll compete with Hernandez's HR numbers.
"I don't need your sympathy, man, I need my Johnson. ... What do you need that for Dude?"
Munson, Roy E
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ScurvyDog » Mon Feb 24, 2003 9:47 am

Boone's SB's and Jose's average/K's swing this one ... take Boone. (I still think Jose will hit 30 HR's this year ..)
"Life is tough. But it is even tougher when you're stupid." - John Wayne
ScurvyDog

Postby mkoss » Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:32 am

I would take whoever you think will be the better player. If that's Jose and you are really heavy in HR and RBI, trade someone for speed. If you think Boone will be better, then take him.
From the official rulebook of baseball: "Baseball is a game played between two teams of nine players each." Therefore, baseball is a game played only in the National League.
mkoss
Projections Project
Projections Project

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers