100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

James Shields

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

James Shields

Postby CBMGreatOne » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:21 pm

Nice line for today

8 IP, 2Hs, 2 ERs, BB, 12Ks ND

Bullpen blew it, but man, this guy is dealing. Does he have a chance to be better than Kaz? I think he's definitely worth a flier in most formats.
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Sid Bream's Slide » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:39 pm

I just picked him up in a keeper and was hoping to get some opinions from D-Ray fans or those that have followed him.
Sid Bream's Slide
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby killa3312 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:43 pm

No, he doesn't have the chance to be better than Kaz, but he's going to be a really solid starter for a lot of years. His fastball is only average, as it sits between 88-92 MPH (he can pump it up to as high as 95), but his changeup is flat out dominant (top 5 in baseball, IMHO) and his curve has plus potential as well.

He's had a problem with the HR ball so far this season, but batters are only hitting .208 against him and he has the potential to be a pretty good ground ball pitcher... he pounds the bottom half with his changeup and fastball. I like him a lot.
killa3312
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NZF » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:04 pm

He does have a fantastic change-up but needs to throw his breaking ball with more confidence before I would have him as a regular starter. Also has a tendency to tire rather badly after 5-6 innings. Obviously didn't happen today though.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Big Train » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:06 pm

For what it's worth, Shandler and Co. have been on this guy as a potential breakout candidate. The underlying numbers that the stats guys use were much more impressive than his ERA/WHIP from last year showed. If you look at his game logs from this year you'll notice that before today he pitched quite well until the middle innings when he seemed to run out of gas and the gopher ball became a problem. He certainly doesn't give up many free passes which is nice. Might be comparable to Dave Bush at this point(?) Plays in the wrong division and has a lousy bullpen obviously. But I'm with killa3312, I like him a lot.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jbones733 » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:35 pm

picked him up for Loewen, he K'd like 8 of 9 Indians today in a stretch, impressive, & ive been reading up on him last several months here @ the cafe ;-D
jbones733
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Super Manny » Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:46 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Jamie actually has 5 different change-ups he throws depending on the count.

Is one a gyro? ;-)

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers